Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DatabaseByDesign's Freedom Day Dedi Special - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DatabaseByDesign's Freedom Day Dedi Special

Comments

• Laxenade said: non-related question: do they give out invoices automatically or do you have to ask for it? (Thinking of buying it, and reimburse the cost)

automatic after paid

• edited July 2017

*** slowly enters the lion den ***

Figured it might be easier to answer questions here....

a) Our critical, server down support is our utmost priority. We're here 24x7. As others have mentioned non-critical issues like billing problems, additional services (IPv4 for example), questions about your OS ect. can take some time. We're working to improve upon this type of support.

b) We do run a strict fraud screening. We get 100's of these orders. Yearly billing can burn hosts just as bad.... provision server, wait 6 months and bingo... charge back. It happens.

c) We install CentOS6 as default. You're welcome to self install any other properly licensed (if required) OS you'd like after provisioning.

d) Invoicing is automatic and in this case once a year.

e) We provision these in batches so it normally takes a day or two from placing your order.

f) the IPMI we provide is full access. You can remote reboot, use the virtual media and Java console.

Lastly, we like the thread title and opening post (freedom dollars). Free upgrade to you good Sir.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@DatabaseByDesignLLC welcome to the thunderdome ;)

Appreciate you answering our concerns and questions and I certainly appreciate the upgrade offer :). As always, keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to having my second server with you guys.

• Any benchmark for this over?

@hawkjohn7 said:
    Any benchmark for this over?

I posted bench.sh results further up the thread.

Here's benchgeek results too, though the processor will likely be different:
    https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/8228939

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7

Server was provisioned late last night, thanks @DatabaseByDesignLLC. Also, it look like the deal is still available for anyone still on the fence.

Here's a quick bench.sh -- network and ssd zip along just peachy -

Benchmark started on Fri Jul 7 08:37:59 EDT 2017
    Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
    Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    CPU Cores : 8
    Frequency : 3300.196 MHz
    Memory : 32211 MB
    Swap : 16111 MB
    Uptime : 9:31,

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel : 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64
    Hostname : localhost.localdomain

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    Your public IPv4 is x.x.x.x

Location Provider Speed
    CDN Cachefly 79.1MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 54.9MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 34.3MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 19.0MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 19.9MB/s
    Washington, DC, US Softlayer 87.0MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 10.3MB/s
    Singapore Softlayer 5.75MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 5.06MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 17.0MB/s

Disk Speed
    I/O (1st run) : 429 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run) : 422 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run) : 412 MB/s
    Average I/O : 421 MB/s

Not able to pull power on hours from the smart stats. Telling me it's been on for 100+ years :P But at least I know it's an Intel 520.

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7
  • So free RAM upgrade, Nice :D

Thanked by 2MasonR WSS
  • WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:
    Not able to pull power on hours from the smart stats. Telling me it's been on for 100+ years :P But at least I know it's an Intel 520.

Should be around 241 years..

@DatabaseByDesignLLC said:
    *** slowly enters the lion den ***

Now that's class. Or balls. Could be ball class.

Thanked by 1MasonR

@WSS said: Could be ball class.

Please explain the common courtesies and etiquette associated with ball class. I am highly intrigued.

• WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:

Please explain the common courtesies and etiquette associated with ball class. I am highly intrigued.

Male's version of a vajazzle. Generally resembles disco balls, but is far less offensive.

Thanked by 1MasonR

@WSS said:

@MasonR said:

Male's version of a vajazzle. Generally resembles disco balls, but is far less offensive.

Can't wait to make 'em shimmer in the moonlight.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited July 2017

@MasonR said:

@WSS said:

@MasonR said:

Can't wait to make 'em shimmer in the moonlight.

Be careful- there are wereNekkis about. I can't find a copy of that Monkey Dust skit online, so have a random Geoff episode.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • saibalsaibal Member
    edited July 2017

@Junkless said: So free RAM upgrade, Nice :D

Where?

• imokimok Member

@saibal said:

@Junkless said: So free RAM upgrade, Nice :D

>

Where?

Here:

DatabaseByDesignLLC said: Lastly, we like the thread title and opening post (freedom dollars). Free upgrade to you good Sir.

• saibalsaibal Member

@imok said: Here:

oops, missed that

@MasonR: nice gift for 7/4 :)

Thanked by 1MasonR

@saibal said:

@imok said: Here:

oops, missed that

@MasonR: nice gift for 7/4 :)

Indeed :)

• WSSWSS Member

I still can't believe you were provisioned so quickly. Zowie! :D

• @WSS said:

We're trying - sarcasm identified :)

We appreciate everyone's patience. We've got another large batch going out this afternoon/evening. If you've ordered since 7/5 it will be ready tonight.

Thanks!

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK alown
  • @DatabaseByDesignLLC said:

@WSS said:

We appreciate everyone's patience. We've got another large batch going out this afternoon/evening. If you've ordered since 7/5 it will be ready tonight.

Thanks!

So, we don't have to beg to get the server :P /joking

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@WSS said:

Thanks!

Not this time... but if you play your cards right .... some begging might get you something ():

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @DatabaseByDesignLLC said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@WSS said:

Thanks!

Not this time... but if you play your cards right .... some begging might get you something ():

HA, love how you handle these comments :)

• I would have grabbed it in a heartbeat. But paying almost the same price as the whole server, just to add another drive confuses me (yes, I know it is still an excellent deal). And single drive server doesnt make sense to me at all.

• imokimok Member

Please please please please... can I have one with 2x drives with some discount? I don't need but... well... this is LET.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • WSSWSS Member

@TheOnlyDK said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@WSS said:

Thanks!

You're not even going to ask what you get? It might be a RAM upgrade.. totally worth it!

• @WSS said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@WSS said:

Thanks!

You're not even going to ask what you get? It might be a RAM upgrade.. totally worth it!

I actually did, shamelessly, but privately. Anything you can get is a bonus, on this already insanely cheap offer. Christmas in July, I love it.

• WSSWSS Member

For what it's worth, we're just there to take over the not-worth-unracking hardware.. but that's more than good enough for me! :D

Thanked by 1MasonR

@WSS said:
    For what it's worth, we're just there to take over the not-worth-unracking hardware.. but that's more than good enough for me! :D

Same here! Did you end up picking one up from from this special or are you taming the beast?

• WSSWSS Member

@MasonR said:

@WSS said:

Same here! Did you end up picking one up from from this special or are you taming the beast?

I've been using my single DbD for production stuff, and that's barely ticking by. I want to waste money on one, but I've got an E1270 that costs about $5/mo more than this smoking deal. So.. short of selling some junk and making a nice profit, I'm going to have to sit this one out. At least until I meet up with friends and start drinking. Then I'll wake up with a new invoice or few in the morning.

Thanked by 3FredQc MasonR TheOnlyDK
  • vetvettervetvetter Member
    edited July 2017

Currently talking with Scott from DBD about a slight custom build, and I can say their pre-sales is top notch.

I am in a slight holding pastern right now on some final answers, but Scott has been quick at getting back to me with updates to my questions. I am really excited to get my server and throw up some bench marks...!

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited July 2017

Nice deal indeed - being a previous ex-databasebydesign customer who was with them for 3+ yrs IIRC, great to see they offer non-paypal payment option and an actual ticket system now. Price is great so just nabbed one :)

This discussion has been closed.