Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proper way to setup DNS cluster - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Proper way to setup DNS cluster

2»

Comments

• @kontam said: godaddy cpanel

Godaddy what?

• control panel

I just saw my resolv.conf has google and vps provider nameservers in it, omg, I've changed them to:

nameserver "ns1 ip"
    nameserver "ns2 ip"

Okay, now let's see if it works.

• @kontam said: I just saw my resolv.conf has google and vps provider nameservers in it, omg

I don't see the problem?

• Woohoo now it works. :) I'm so happy. Thank you all. :)

• If you've followed the guide in the site, i would advise to redo it but with binaries off the powerdns.com website as the ones from apt/yum/etc are too old now. 2.* is crazy old and outdated compared to say 3.2

• I'm running 2.9.20, is there a way to update it?

• @kontam

Fetch the packages off the website, replace, update mysql-schema's among other things. Check the website for the documentation.

http://doc.powerdns.com/upgrades.html#from2.9to3.0

• @blergh_ said: If you've followed the guide in the site, i would advise to redo it but with binaries off the powerdns.com website as the ones from apt/yum/etc are too old now. 2.* is crazy old and outdated compared to say 3.2

Then remember that you have to manually keep it updated.

Distro package binaries are not the bleeding-edge version. They are stable and secure (stability & security patches are backported). Unless you have a good reason to move away from the packages provides by your distro, it's generally better not to.

• @sleddog

lol. Have you even read the changelogs or docs for updating between 2.9 to 3.*? I suppose not. Updating isn't too hard, just read the docs.

• @blergh_ said: lol. Have you even read the changelogs or docs for updating between 2.9 to 3.*? I suppose not. Updating isn't too hard, just read the docs.

It's good that you read changelogs and know what you're doing. Not everyone does.

The OP is learning, and is not an experienced admin. The safe and sure route is to stick to the distro packages. Many people work their asses off for RedHat (CentOS) and Debian to bring secure and stable software to the masses. As an experienced sysadmin you should know better than to tell novice uses to ignore that and install bleeding-edge software instead.

• So should I stick with the distro package?

• @kontam said: So should I stick with the distro package?

I do. They say that if it's working then don't touch it.
    Unless you know what you're doing ofc.

• @sleddog

This isn't bleeding-edge but rather a quiet big change in the way PowerDNS works.

Let me quote the doc's (that you apparently did not bother to read)
    " Warning

Version 3.0 of the PowerDNS Authoritative Server is the biggest change in PowerDNS history. In some senses, this means that it behaves somewhat like a '1.0' version. We advise operators to carefully perform the upgrade process from 2.9.x, and if possible test on a copy of the database beforehand. "

• @blergh_ said: Let me quote the doc's (that you apparently did not bother to read)

Correct. Because I don't use powerdns.

I was advocating a best practice not specific to powerdns: stick to the distro packages unless you have a good reason not to, and you know what you're doing.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

nice tutorial

lots of help even after so many days...

keep up the good work.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited May 2014

If there is one thing I hate, it's improperly setup open resolvers, no recursive!