Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free AlphaSSL Wildcard and regular SSLs - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free AlphaSSL Wildcard and regular SSLs

Comments

• The order was unsuccessful.
    In the submission of the order page has been waiting, waiting, waiting, but can not submit success.

• MaxisMaxis Member

@Cee said:
    The order was unsuccessful.
    In the submission of the order page has been waiting, waiting, waiting, but can not submit success.

Confirmed. Got same problem

• sibapersibaper Member

In mean time get letsencrypt

• FiddeFidde Member

Fixed.

• @Fidde said:
    Fixed.

Incredible! I was once again successful!

• sibaper said: In mean time get letsencrypt

It's also free :)

• EnumCEnumC Member
    edited May 2017

@Foul said:
    If you're not getting a confirmation e-mail then it's most likely globalsign blocking the SSL Order for fraud risks/additional review

This can be the case if domain has private whois, etc

Yep. Can confirm that seems to be the issue why the confirmation messages weren't getting sent.

• Can't get the confirmation e-mail for re-hash.org domain. It has the public whois, the e-mail is a gmail. What can be wrong at this point?

• eKoeKo Member
    edited May 2017

Indeed seems strange... does the website gives the option to send to the confirmation to that email ?

• williewillie Member

I got one a couple months ago with private WHOIS. I wonder if Globalsign/Singlehop simply caught up with this offer and blocked it. If yes, it was nice while it lasted!

• sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
    I got one a couple months ago with private WHOIS. I wonder if Globalsign/Singlehop simply caught up with this offer and blocked it. If yes, it was nice while it lasted!

Nope! Got one few hours ago... Not blocked!

• @eKo said:
    Indeed seems strange... does the website gives the option to send to the confirmation to that email ?

Yes, I was trying to select several different mails, including the Gmail one, but didn't receive any confirmation e-mail anyway.

• I tried once again and it worked. Thank you very much!

• FiddeFidde Member
    edited June 2017

Well, just received this email

Let's see what will happen going forward :)

To Whom it May Concern:

Singlehop has been alerted to the possibility of misuse or abuse of our free SSL agreement on your account. Our rules around these certificates dictate that resale of the certificates on the open market is strictly prohibited. The certificates may be given to, or sold to, clients of yours so long as the customers are hosted on Singlehop servers/ IP ranges.

We ask that you please audit your SSL certificates and if any do not meet the acceptable use policy referenced above, we ask that you immediately suspend access to those applicable licenses. As of right now, we cannot guarantee that GlobalSign won't revoke the SSLs of their own accord.

If during our own internal audit we find improperly used certificates, we will flag your account as unable to issue any new certifications.

Please assist us in resolving this matter ASAP. We'd like to clear up any questionable use of these SSLs without legal involvement if possible.

Thank You,

--
    Ryan Peternell | Billing Manager

312-447-2580 | [email protected]

• @Fidde said:

To Whom it May Concern:

Singlehop has been alerted to the possibility of misuse or abuse of our free SSL agreement on your account. Our rules around these certificates dictate that resale of the certificates on the open market is strictly prohibited. The certificates may be given to, or sold to, clients of yours so long as the customers are hosted on Singlehop servers/ IP ranges.

We ask that you please audit your SSL certificates and if any do not meet the acceptable use policy referenced above, we ask that you immediately suspend access to those applicable licenses. As of right now, we cannot guarantee that GlobalSign won't revoke the SSLs of their own accord.

If during our own internal audit we find improperly used certificates, we will flag your account as unable to issue any new certifications.

Please assist us in resolving this matter ASAP. We'd like to clear up any questionable use of these SSLs without legal involvement if possible.

Thank You,

--

This is going to be fun.. You could argue that resale dictates a "sale" has been made (Exchange of funds / goods / etc), and your not making a sale? Or you could blag the fact you have a trillion domains and you've decided to cert them all? :P

Good luck!

• dynamodynamo Member
    edited July 2017

@Fidde said:

To Whom it May Concern:

Thank You,

--

Quite possible that one of those providers who bundle such wildcard certificate with their VPS plans or those who resell these free certificates for a few dollars went to SG to bitch about it.

• FiddeFidde Member

Alright, weekend over, time to get back to life. Just sent this back, just so you all know, I don't wish to spend my time fighting this as I have better things to do in life so worst outcome is that I simply shut down the service.

With cPanel and Let's Encrypt among others offering free SSL-certificates that don't have any restriction for which network they are being hosted on, this wouldn't be the end of the world or have as much impact as it would have a few years ago.

If you use the certificate for any live site, look at this as a warning that your certificate might get revoked in the near future, and plan for that. For instance move to Let's Encrypt or set up monitoring, checking if the certificate is revoked, just make sure your not caught with your pants down. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your email, I've looked through your AUP and TOS both when I signed up and today. I've not found any information about restrictions for the SSL-certificates, for example, that they are only allowed to be used in your network, could you point me to any documentation on your website stating this?

Could you also provide me with a list of certificates you believe does not follow your guidelines, and in what way?

You also ask me to suspend access, could you tell me how I can suspend access to a SSL-certificate that is emailed to the client from Globalsign/AlphaSSL directly? Is there any way to revoke a certificate in the Leap control panel, if yes, how?

I'm a little concerned that you bring up legal actions as a possible outcome when this is the first "warning"/"information" I've got that you believe that I'm violating some kind of guidelines. I don't charge anything for the certificates and trust that anyone requesting a certificate does this in good faith.

Sincerely,
    Fredrik

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Fidde said:
    Alright, weekend over, time to get back to life. Just sent this back, just so you all know, I don't wish to spend my time fighting this as I have better things to do in life so worst outcome is that I simply shut down the service.

With cPanel and Let's Encrypt among others offering free SSL-certificates that don't have any restriction for which network they are being hosted on, this wouldn't be the end of the world or have as much impact as it would have a few years ago.

If you use the certificate for any live site, look at this as a warning that your certificate might get revoked in the near future, and plan for that. For instance move to Let's Encrypt or set up monitoring, checking if the certificate is revoked, just make sure your not caught with your pants down. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your email, I've looked through your AUP and TOS both when I signed up and today. I've not found any information about restrictions for the SSL-certificates, for example, that they are only allowed to be used in your network, could you point me to any documentation on your website stating this?

Could you also provide me with a list of certificates you believe does not follow your guidelines, and in what way?

You also ask me to suspend access, could you tell me how I can suspend access to a SSL-certificate that is emailed to the client from Globalsign/AlphaSSL directly? Is there any way to revoke a certificate in the Leap control panel, if yes, how?

I'm a little concerned that you bring up legal actions as a possible outcome when this is the first "warning"/"information" I've got that you believe that I'm violating some kind of guidelines. I don't charge anything for the certificates and trust that anyone requesting a certificate does this in good faith.

Sincerely,
    Fredrik

do you have any numbers on how many certs were issued through your page? just curious.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Fidde said: set up monitoring, checking if the certificate is revoked, just make sure your not caught with your pants down.

This is what I use: https://gist.github.com/romanrm/bb95e209c4a75efc32b0e5d46d0881e8

Thanked by 4ehab Fidde boernd yomero
  • FiddeFidde Member

@Falzo said:

do you have any numbers on how many certs were issued through your page? just curious.

About 9k Wildcard-certs and I guess a few thousand not wildcard-certs.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

Fidde said: About 9k Wildcard-certs and I guess a few thousand not wildcard-certs.

wow...

• ehabehab Member

if @Fidde now asks 5€ per certificate he will be happy man.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Lets hope you used fake details when signing up and they did not send you a notice before use, thats going to be EXPENSIVE!

• FiddeFidde Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Lets hope you used fake details when signing up and they did not send you a notice before use, thats going to be EXPENSIVE!

Nope, they also have my CC-details and they even bill me automatically ;)

I haven't found anything in their terms about it and I've paid for "Unlimited SSL-certificates", also, it's probably going to be more expensive for Globalsign to revoke all the certs so the worst they'll probably do is shut down my account.

I have the option to close my CC for Internet transactions and I have a hard time thinking that SH will try to use legal actions, I have as far as I know not broken any law. Also, SH must have a unlimited deal with GlobalSign, otherwise, they wouldn't be able to offer such a service.

• If you are on a cpanel server, just use letsencrypt.org‎, free free free! I use this for all our test sites and staging environments etc. Super easy to use, just click one button!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@Fidde,

It was excellent while it lasted. I/we appreciate your effort and awesome contribution. Totally worth it. Just dont put yourself at risk, its not worth it.

Thank you for everything!

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@Fidde Do you have the Script uploaded anywhere ?? Github ??

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2017

Oh well, this was nice while it lasted but I figured it had to end eventually. Thanks for running it all this time, Fidde.

@chateaux everyone knows about letsencrypt, but it does not issue wildcards. If you're going to suggest getting separate certificates for each subdomain, that's not a new idea to anyone either. Wildcards are still nice if you can get them.

Thanked by 1hotsnow
  • @Fidde thanks for everything. Like @MikePT said, I guess it's time to call it a day :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Thanks for keeping this up and everything!

Although letsencrypt.org exists, wildcard certs are still quite invaluable for some use cases. I use it for my Sandstorm.io installation, so I probably would have to scrap that if they revoke my wildcard

This discussion has been closed.