Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap colocation in Europe
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap colocation in Europe

Hello,

I'm looking for a cheap colocation provider in Europe. The server I would like to colocate has 2 Xeon E5's and a 500W PSU. I'm willing to pay up to 40€ a month, but cheaper would be better.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Where in EU?

• myst02myst02 Member

@cyberpersons said:
    Where in EU?

I live in Austria, anything not too far away away will do. (I'd prefer Germany or France)

• @myst02 said:

@cyberpersons said:
    Where in EU?

I live in Austria, anything not too far away away will do. (I'd prefer Germany or France)

Someone would be able to help you now. I have had something else in mind.

• lionlion Member
    edited June 2017

Hungary, @William suggested it a few times already.

• cociucociu Member

Romania ?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

How much power would you need in reality? We can do 100W 1U for 35EUR with 1Gbit/s port with 5TB BW included in Bulgaria. Free rack and stack.

• myst02myst02 Member
    edited June 2017

@AlexBarakov said:
    How much power would you need in reality? We can do 100W 1U for 35EUR with 1Gbit/s port with 5TB BW included in Bulgaria. Free rack and stack.

How do you measure the power? Your offer sounds good, but I think that 100W won't be enough as my server draws around 75W in idle and 200W under load. Could you do 200W for 40EUR?

• myst02myst02 Member

@cociu said:
    Romania ?

Can you make me an offer?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@myst02 said:

@AlexBarakov said:

How do you measure the power? Your offer sounds good, but I think that 100W won't be enough as my server draws around 75W in idle and 200W under load. Could you do 200W for 40EUR?

Unfortunately no, this would not be possible. Pricing for 200W would be 55EUR, same 1U bundle.

• cociucociu Member

myst02 said: Can you make me an offer?

its 1u ? if yes i can do this in your budget.

• myst02myst02 Member

@cociu said:

myst02 said: Can you make me an offer?

its 1u ? if yes i can do this in your budget.

Yes, it's 1U

• myst02myst02 Member

@AlexBarakov said:

@myst02 said:

@AlexBarakov said:

Unfortunately no, this would not be possible. Pricing for 200W would be 55EUR, same 1U bundle.

Okay, I understand. How is the power measured? Do you use Load + Idle / 2 for calculating like most providers?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

myst02 said: Okay, I understand. How is the power measured? Do you use Load + Idle / 2 for calculating like most providers?

Like who?

Any better DC (as in Austria Nessus, Cyberservice, Nextlayer, eShelter/TImewarp...) does port based kwh metering, usually on APC units, and bills you by kwh used.

Random guesses or start up power measuring on shipment is not used anymore at all (as they are very easily manipulated and later changed via ILO/IPMI).

myst02 said: I'm willing to pay up to 40€ a month, but cheaper would be better.

Not very realistic for any quality - your 2 E5 alone nearly use 1A regardless of what gen/model they are - 1A in eastern europe costs around 18-25EUR, West 20-30EUR.

That leaves 10-15EUR for space and network (IP+BW), which is not realistic either unless you live with a single 100Mbit port with no SLA and like 5Mbit commit (~1.3TB).

If you can live with some warehouse in Romania or a basement in Germany (which, if we are honest, Webwerk is not far from anyway) that for this power price has insufficient UPS/AC or some other catch... maybe under 40EUR. Realistic for quality and bit less than 1A are 50EUR+ depending on country (East, West EU more).

--

I'll offer anyway even if over budget:

1U, 1A 220V w/ 2 power links, 1TB BW; 5 IPs (/29) and a /48 (or larger) - BGP optional - 55EUR/mo paid quarterly, choice of Budapest/HU or Prague/CZ.

Only servers with rails and IPMI/ILO/similar accepted.

Thanked by 1myst02
  • myst02myst02 Member

@William said:

myst02 said: Okay, I understand. How is the power measured? Do you use Load + Idle / 2 for calculating like most providers?

Like who?

Any better DC (as in Austria Nessus, Cyberservice, Nextlayer, eShelter/TImewarp...) does port based kwh metering, usually on APC units, and bills you by kwh used.

Random guesses or start up power measuring on shipment is not used anymore at all (as they are very easily manipulated and later changed via ILO/IPMI).

myst02 said: I'm willing to pay up to 40€ a month, but cheaper would be better.

Not very realistic for any quality - your 2 E5 alone nearly use 1A regardless of what gen/model they are - 1A in eastern europe costs around 18-25EUR, West 20-30EUR.

That leaves 10-15EUR for space and network (IP+BW), which is not realistic either unless you live with a single 100Mbit port with no SLA and like 5Mbit commit (~1.3TB).

If you can live with some warehouse in Romania or a basement in Germany (which, if we are honest, Webwerk is not far from anyway) that for this power price has insufficient UPS/AC or some other catch... maybe under 40EUR. Realistic for quality and bit less than 1A are 50EUR+ depending on country (East, West EU more).

--

I'll offer anyway even if over budget:

1U, 1A 220V w/ 2 power links, 1TB BW; 5 IPs (/29) and a /48 (or larger) - BGP optional - 55EUR/mo paid quarterly, choice of Budapest/HU or Prague/CZ.

Thanks for your explanations, I didn't know that as I haven't had any experience with colocation so far.

My CPU's are both E5-2650 v1, and my amperemeter shows about 170W under heavy load.

I will think about what you said, maybe I'll change my budget.

To answer your question, I compared some german colocation offers and most of them measure Startup + Idle / 2.

• JarryJarry Member

Could you estimate (or measure) your 24h average power-consumption? Peak power is good to know when it comes to circuit-breaker, but ultimately colo-center has to pay for energy consumed...

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

myst02 said: My CPU's are both E5-2650 v1, and my amperemeter shows about 170W under heavy load.

The E5-2650s are not bad. 170W under 'heavey' load sounds unrealistic. Maybe low-moderate load considering these CPUs have a TDP of 95W each. Under heavy load, with SSDs and a high efficiency PSU, I may believe 250w, which really is about 1amp @ 220v.

However, I have a bunch of these E5-2650 servers (single socket) and high efficiency PSU, and they idle at about 0.25a (55-60w). So I would believe 170w would be realistic for dual CPU under low-moderate load.

If that's the case, maybe you would give Lithuania some consideration as a colocation option.

We can meet your 40EUR /month budget.

• VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

We can offer you this at 40€ in our Barcelona datacenter. Please shoot me a PM if this interests you.

• Virpus said: We can offer you this at 40€ in our Barcelona datacenter

Will that do BGP? If yes (setup is fine) i'll bite for something a bit larger (like 2U and 1A ~)

• I never try them but i bookmarked mengine.fr, they offer 1u colo for 30euros/month near Paris. I think they have a private room in GDC3 (bought by zayo recently)

• We can offer colocations in Stockholm with 200W power and 10Tb bandwith. We can also offer BGP and arrage for a private /24 network. Checkout mainstreamhosting.se or PM if interesting. We focus on lowprice services with very good uptime. I personally hate downtime.

• JarryJarry Member

@William said:

Could you make an offer for 1U/short (if you'd accept it), ~40/50W (24h/5min), 8 IPv4, ~100GB BW?

• Jarry said: Could you make an offer for 1U/short (if you'd accept it), ~40/50W (24h/5min), 8 IPv4, ~100GB BW?

Only if it has IPMI and is in EU already. I do not handle any imports.

1U, 50W/0.25A, /28 (13 usable, -1 for IPMI), 250GB BW - 33EUR/mo paid half yearly (198EUR) ex. VAT

Thanked by 1Jarry
  • VirpusVirpus Member, Host Rep

@William said:

Virpus said: We can offer you this at 40€ in our Barcelona datacenter

Will that do BGP? If yes (setup is fine) i'll bite for something a bit larger (like 2U and 1A ~)

Yes, we can do BGP

• JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

We can house you in our Isle of Man Datacentre if that is of interest to you.

1U, 1A & Unmetered 10Mbps or 500GB on 100Mbps and 5 IP's - £50/month

Free Setup & Unlimited Remote Hands.

• How much amps does the server run at?
    I know a couple of hosting providers in the Netherlands that offer 1u, 1gbit @ 5tb traffic, 0.5A for around 28/month ex vat located in Dataone wormerveer