Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting From HELL - Hudson Valley Hosting - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting From HELL - Hudson Valley Hosting

2»

Comments

• mansoormansoor Member
    edited June 2017

@Nick said:
    Sorry to hear about your issues on the old titanium reseller machine (the shared server you were on that exploded), as you are aware the machine failed us and the old outdated backup system wasn't much help either. You aren't the only reseller that was effected by this sadly.

The courtesy backup system is under review and we apologize for any inconvenience. We try the best we can with what we have to work with as a low end host and wish you the best of luck. The staff member that gave you the wrong backup has been made aware of this situation and spoken with to ensure the same mistake does not occur, again we are sorry about that as well...

I see a refund was already issued by our staff and do not hesitate to reach out to me directly via a PM on here or anything of the sort should you need any further assistance from myself.

tldr: Apologies you were effected by our outage and and all the other issues that followed, we are reviewing our systems in place to ensure other customers don't share the same experience you faced.

Sady said: This is a good example of why you should also test your backups periodically.

P.S I've a dirty cheap cPanel VPS from HVH which costs less than a normal cPanel license itself and is running solid for more than an year now.

I could not agree more, we do our best to keep backups in place (obviously we had issues here with titainium and all this data with the automated setup).

Glad to hear it, like I said we do what we can and are happy to hear your dirty cheap managed VPS works flawlessly :)

@Nick, I think you missed the whole point of the post

1) I could care less about the $18.00 refund for the remainder of the service, its the 6 clients I lost because of the 5 days of continuous downtime

2) Crap happens and I understand but your support departments constant refusal to be upfront and tell me what was going on is what was very upsetting. They could have simply said that the server has crashed and we are looking at our options of restoring or building a new box. Instead of saying "I am actively reviewing your support ticket" This response just wastes time specially when they already know what is going on.

3) It is your support departments failure to follow simple instructions. When I said I have migrated the sites to another host because they were not working on your server, please modify you hosts file to point those domains to your IP and see the sites are down. It is their refusal to try that is what was upsetting. Instead of changing the IP in the hosts file they would simply try the URL and see the site working and come back with "Please try again" When I asked them to please be more specific, what did you fix or what should I be trying, all they would come back with was "Try again". Its like they could care less what the customer is saying or requesting, all they wanted was somehow limit their response to two canned answers "Actively Reviewing" & "Try Again". I suggest you go through the support ticket with a comb and see how frustrating it is for a client to deal with that level of amateur support.

• ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

mansoor said: Instead of saying "I am actively reviewing your support ticket" This response just wastes time specially when they already know what is going on.

This seems to me outsourced support response.

• Nick is an awesome guy, period. The tech support team... CC should really hire some new staff.

Thanked by 1Nick
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2017

mansoor said: I could care less about the $18.00 refund for the remainder of the service, its the 6 clients I lost because of the 5 days of continuous downtime

Wow! You had six paying clients in a dirty cheap 18$ unmanaged vps and on top of that, you did not even keep your own backups! And you blame HVH! My God...

mansoor said: I suggest you go through the support ticket with a comb and see how frustrating it is for a client to deal with that level of amateur support.

He already apologized about the whole support actions. On the other hand...

mansoor said: In my 15 years of running a hosting business I have never come across a more pathetic and incompetent hosting like HVH

You are REALLY 15 years in hosting business and you put SIX of your clients to a host you started using them on February and you did not used them never before, costing just 18$? And with no keeping backups on your own? And, as I can assume, without even do a little search about them before buying?

mansoor said: I can't even believe they are in business and LEB/LET admins let them advertise their services.

FYI, ColoCrossing owns HVH, COloCrossing owns LET/LEB. But I suppose you already know that, just want to be a little more dramatic and rise the sympathy of us...
    -sigh- Pathetic...

P.S. HVH people... Did you really gave wrong backup that belonged to other client? Wow! Just Wow! This is a new low in terms of security and privacy!!!

Thanked by 2vedran Pwner
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@nick if you need a real tech support member make sure you holla at me. (Selfish promotion)

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    @nick if you need a real tech support member make sure you holla at me. (Selfish promotion)

Will do :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

jvnadr said: FYI, ColoCrossing owns HVH, COloCrossing owns LET/LEB

Let's be clear though, because this can generate a lot of questions, they'll only get passes around here from me that I'd equally give to others. I see what goes down around here, and I am as much a point of accountability for them as they are for me.

I've come to respect them as peers because I get a unique vantage point. One thing I know for sure is that if @Nick says he'll do everything he can to resolve a situation, rest assured he will do everything that he can. He's good people.

Regardless, there are obviously many very legitimate complaints here. This thread is entirely appropriate, and it's content deserving. This is where anyone involved in HVH needs to review the scenario and make sure they do better.

• JinxJinx Member

@jvnadr said:

Wraios re file

• @jvnadr said:

mansoor said: I could care less about the $18.00 refund for the remainder of the service, its the 6 clients I lost because of the 5 days of continuous downtime

Wow! You had six paying clients in a dirty cheap 18$ unmanaged vps and on top of that, you did not even keep your own backups! And you blame HVH! My God...

mansoor said: I suggest you go through the support ticket with a comb and see how frustrating it is for a client to deal with that level of amateur support.

He already apologized about the whole support actions. On the other hand...

mansoor said: In my 15 years of running a hosting business I have never come across a more pathetic and incompetent hosting like HVH

You are REALLY 15 years in hosting business and you put SIX of your clients to a host you started using them on February and you did not used them never before, costing just 18$? And with no keeping backups on your own? And, as I can assume, without even do a little search about them before buying?

mansoor said: I can't even believe they are in business and LEB/LET admins let them advertise their services.

FYI, ColoCrossing owns HVH, COloCrossing owns LET/LEB. But I suppose you already know that, just want to be a little more dramatic and rise the sympathy of us...
    -sigh- Pathetic...

P.S. HVH people... Did you really gave wrong backup that belonged to other client? Wow! Just Wow! This is a new low in terms of security and privacy!!!

@jvnadr, please do not assume things if you failed to read all the facts. He refunded a pro-rated amount, not the full amount.

When I buy reseller hosting from my a company that claims right on the front page that they offer "First Class Support", "99.9% uptime" I expect that they will deliver it to some level. Your comment makes absolutely no sense. Why would I sign up for reseller hosting if I did not plan to resell that hosting? Maybe you have a different view on English language and you buy reseller hosting to sell it yourself for free or something.

They came recommended from LowEndBox and the reviews were not bad and that is why I signed up with them.

As for backups, you failed to read that I did take backups the second time around but even then I got royally screwed because they had detached the DB's from my cpanel so the backups did not include the DB. Since the sites were online and able to connect to the DB, I did not think they would have done something so weird. If you expect that you sell reseller hosting and the reseller will login everyday and verify everything on 64 accounts, you have some very unusual expectations.

I do have hosting with other hosts right here on LET without any issues.

• @mansoor said:

If you expect that you sell reseller hosting and the reseller will login everyday and verify everything on 64 accounts, you have some very unusual expectations.

Ouch. I wish luck to all your clients.

• @brueggus said:
    Hello @mansoor,

I'm actively reviewing your support request and will get back to you as quickly as possible with more details.

Its been 8 hours now. You need to come back with "Please try now" ;)

• KrisKris Member

Nekki said: I remember when HVH were decent.

Waves.

I remember telling Ernie not to sign those contracts. Oh well.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited June 2017

mansoor said: When I buy reseller hosting from my a company that claims right on the front page that they offer "First Class Support", "99.9% uptime" I expect that they will deliver it to some level. Your comment makes absolutely no sense. Why would I sign up for reseller hosting if I did not plan to resell that hosting? Maybe you have a different view on English language and you buy reseller hosting to sell it yourself for free or something.

They came recommended from LowEndBox and the reviews were not bad and that is why I signed up with them.

LOL

You obviously didn't do any real research at all before your purchase.

If you bought anything from a CC related entity and truly expected '99% uptime' you may not be a very bright person. Even more so if you listened to a recommendation from LowEndBox, which is biased on purpose to sell CC's wares. However, if you would have come here and ask anyone here in a discussion or even the cest pit I am sure there would have been an overwhelming response telling you to find something else.

If you seriously were under the impression that you were going to get those things ('First Class Support' and '99.9% uptime) from a CC related entity then you must be on some good medication and should share some with us, because I guarantee you any sain person that did their research wouldn't and would have known better than to believe that drivel they put on their page.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1WSWD
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited June 2017

mansoor said: He refunded a pro-rated amount, not the full amount.

I didn't comment on that, I comment on hosting paying clients to a dirty cheap unknown to you service.

mansoor said: When I buy reseller hosting from my a company that claims right on the front page that they offer "First Class Support", "99.9% uptime" I expect that they will deliver it to some level. Your comment makes absolutely no sense.

I suppose that you also buy anything that the seller says it is top-notch, without research and testing before putting it in production state. That's professional!

mansoor said: Maybe you have a different view on English language and you buy reseller hosting to sell it yourself for free or something.

Reseller hosting means that you get at least a WHM account. So, you have a complete control to CPanel specs and configuration, something that you do not get when you buy just a shared CPanel account. This is far away from reselling. To SELL services, you have to be sure that you have a failproof configuration, even if it is driven by bought resell accounts (that means a lot of backups, backups that are daily tested for validity, active monitoring, ready-to-go servers in case something goes wrong in the first one etc.).

mansoor said: As for backups, you failed to read that I did take backups the second time around but even then I got royally screwed because they had detached the DB's from my cpanel so the backups did not include the DB

This is nonsense. If your sites did resolve and loading, is a proof that your config did have DP's ip and login details. If you had that, then, you should take backups from your database. You don't rely on CPanel backups in a shared environment (anyway, there is no any automatic way to take safely tested CPanel account backups except if there is a plugin from the provider).
    You can take backups from your server/sites/databases using a lot of ways and YOU ALWAYS TEST THE BACKUPS FREQUENTLY! A not-working backup is not a backup.

mansoor said: If you expect that you sell reseller hosting and the reseller will login everyday and verify everything on 64 accounts, you have some very unusual expectations.

This goes two-way: If this is your view on SELLING hosting (as a reseller), then THE SAME WAY HVH will not login everyday and monitor that 1000's of accounts veryfing they are really working. YOU are a hosting provider, as HVH is and YOU failed to your clients as HVH failed to you.
    Do not search for excuses, just think if you are really capable to sell services to people that do not know you are an amateur...

• JSCLJSCL Member, Host Rep

I think from my knowledge of them, it's important not to make a connection between HVH support and CC support.

The engineers at CC are great, really switched on technical people. But it's not the same people supporting the L1/L2 tickets at HVH (as I understand), so the two are not comparable.

Thanked by 1pluush
  • edited August 2017

today their client area is un-accessible (https://billing.hudsonvalleyhost.com/)

it's time to move away from HVH. it's 5 year business with them but we need to move just because of the quality & poor service.

• @eversmile_host said:
    today their client area is un-accessible (https://billing.hudsonvalleyhost.com/)

it's time to move away from HVH. it's 5 year business with them but we need to move just because of the quality & poor service.

Well, can't decide about the service, as i didn't and probably never will try them out .. but the portal is accessible on my end

• isalem said: but the portal is accessible on my end

Now it's working here too

• Hmm, can't speak to your experience but I have nothing but good things to say for Hudson Valley Host. Nick and his team do their best to work with you as partners and honest mistakes are made every now and then by every single host.

It is because of Hudon Valley Host that I am able to sponsor servers to help keep operations running at a nonprofit I volunteer at. Have I had kinks every now and then? Yes I have and Nick has been patient working with me himself at times.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited August 2017

If you take backups and do nothing to verify those backups, you have no claim on them or the service in my opinion. This is the easiest thing you can do. You can't just 'go through the motions' and expect things to work out. Validation is an important step. Expecting things to work out without any extra validation or anything is extremely lazy and irresponsible. This applies to both the provider and the client. Storage is cheap, why be stingy? Download the backups, extract/import them, and ensure they have usable data. That's not a tall order.

It's incredibly easy to do something like tar -cvf $output.tar $dir to get your document root, then mysqldump -A > all.sql to get the databases. As a reseller (or even a client), a certain amount of responsibility falls on you, not just the people you decided to buy from. After all, you don't make money just because you decided to buy a shared hosting account for somebody. You have to add some value.

Thanked by 1styu007
  • I should start a brand named "Hosting from Hell". Would probably go over like a lead balloon.

• @jlay said:
    If you take backups and do nothing to verify those backups, you have no claim on them or the service in my opinion. This is the easiest thing you can do. You can't just 'go through the motions' and expect things to work out. Validation is an important step. Expecting things to work out without any extra validation or anything is extremely lazy and irresponsible. This applies to both the provider and the client. Storage is cheap, why be stingy? Download the backups, extract/import them, and ensure they have usable data. That's not a tall order.

It's incredibly easy to do something like tar -cvf $output.tar $dir to get your document root, then mysqldump -A > all.sql to get the databases. As a reseller (or even a client), a certain amount of responsibility falls on you, not just the people you decided to buy from. After all, you don't make money just because you decided to buy a shared hosting account for somebody. You have to add some value.

@jlay, regardless of backup. Service being down for 5 straight days (completely down) is the providers problem and I think you missed that part of the post completely. Their website clearly states 99.99% uptime but when server is down for 5 days and no support they simple raise their arms and say "we are a budget host". They should put that on their home page, we are a budget host and not 99.99% uptime.

• WSSWSS Member

HVH is just as good as when I had 'em, I see.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Buffalo's DC is quite solid. Being honest, no BS.

@WSS said:
    HVH is just as good as when I had 'em, I see.

• WSSWSS Member

@Hxxx said:
    Buffalo's DC is quite solid. Being honest, no BS.

Fuck them forever for lying about resources.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ