Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting From HELL - Hudson Valley Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting From HELL - Hudson Valley Hosting

mansoormansoor Member
edited June 2017 in Reviews

If you hate someone then one really good revenge idea would be to refer them to Hudson Valley Hosting. Let them get screwed really badly by Nick and his team. In my 15 years of running a hosting business I have never come across a more pathetic and incompetent hosting like HVH. I can't even believe they are in business and LEB/LET admins let them advertise their services. Maybe its because they pay for banner advertising.

I started hosting with them back in Feb and since the beginning the service has been choppy every week something of the other stopped working, sometimes the web service, sometimes the email service would just clog and when they would resume service, you would lose all past emails that were sent. Its like they would just delete the whole queue. Then last month they start having issues with their DB. Sites started going down two to three times a day and each time it was for 4-5 hours. Whenever I would contact them, they were clueless that all sites (I mean all customers sites, not just my sites) would be down. I tried to make backups but those attempts failed because even when I downloaded the fullback or home directory backup, it would skip the mySQL DB backups. Nothing would download. I figured that they are trying to fix the DB that is why I am not able to download. This went on for four days and finally on the fourth day the server completely tanked. All my customer sites were down for 5 days. Yes, five full days. During those five full days, I rec’d the most pathetic support. I would ask them what is going on and the response every time would be “I'm actively reviewing your support request and will get back to you as quickly as possible with more details.”. This would be response no matter what question I asked over the course of five days. My question could be, what is the ETA, answer would “I'm actively reviewing your support request and will get back to you as quickly as possible with more details.”. What time of day it is today and the answer would be “I'm actively reviewing your support request and will get back to you as quickly as possible with more details.” By the third day I understood that they are just a mickey mouse hosting company and I am screwed here is the chat on the support ticket for all to see my pain

========================================

Mansoor Client (05/29/2017 23:50)
Still not working. Mysql is down

Peter EvansStaff (05/29/2017 23:56)
Mansoor,

May I know domain name please?

Mansoor Client (06/01/2017 05:38
All websites have stopped working again. "Error establishing a database connection". What is going on guys?

Luis H Staff (06/01/2017 12:19)
Hello Mansoor,

As due to MySQL is down we can't generate the database backups to migrate the websites.We'll need to wait till issue gets resolved.

Also we are setting a fresh server as we speak and migrate all the websites once MySQL on current servers gets backup.

Until then your patience is highly appreciated.

Mansoor Client 06/01/2017 11:54
Any update folks. I just got off the phone with a really pissed off customer since he is running adwords and his business depends on the site being up.

Alton H Staff 06/01/2017 16:25
Mansoor,

I sincerely apologize for that. However, we do not have exact ETA. We will keep you posted in ticket till your patience is highly appreciated.

Mansoor Client (06/01/2017 21:37)
Hi Folks,

I am appreciate your understanding but I think the whole day is over. Its been more than 12 hours. At this point I do need some ETA. What exactly is being done to restore the sites? If my SQL DB is lost than its lost. Need to recover for backup or something and get things going.

Please let me know more than no ETA.

Thanks.

Alton H Staff (06/01/2017 21:51)
Hello Mansoor,

I'm actively reviewing your support request and will get back to you as quickly as possible with more details.

Mansoor Client (06/01/2017 23:23)
Guys, I need a response. What is the plan? Can I get backup of all my sites even if it is a day or two old. I need to migrate my customers. No ETA after three days is totally unacceptable. Just keep on replying me with "We are actively working" is no longer enough. I need to know what is being done. What is the plan. What are the timelines

Peter Evans Staff (06/01/2017 23:33)
Mansoor,

Can you please provide us domain name list? So we can check backup and migrate your reseller account on different node.

Mansoor Client (06/01/2017 23:41)
Oh Boy, I don't even know all the domains being hosted on Hudson. I can't get into WHM anymore either. At least this morning I could get in there. I should have copied the list. Arghh!

I have about 60 domains hosted. Just to a name a few would be

Peter Evans Staff (06/01/2017 23:51)
Hello Mansoor,

I'm actively reviewing your support request and will get back to you as quickly as possible with more details.

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 02:06)
Hi Guys,

Can you please let me know what are you doing?

1) Are you restoring all my sites on a different server or just the ones I listed?
2) What is the plan for the DNS. Do you need to me change any name server, etc
3) Is the IP Address going to change?
4) When do we expect the restore/migration to be complete. I cannot handle calls first thing in the morning from clients who have been super pissed all day so just trying to get ahead of things.

Thanks.

Peter Evans Staff (06/02/2017 04:02)
Mansoor,

We are restoring all accounts. We will update you when this is done.

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 05:40)
Hi Guys,

I am sorry to keep nagging you but you can probably understand my dilemma. This is the fourth day of sites being down and I have some very unhappy customers. I can't even seem to get backups from you guys so that I may migrate them to another host or something. I cannot keep telling my clients no ETA, we are working on it.

If the total data is 3.2TB I am sure lot of other customers are being impacted by this outage. Can you please at least post a status page or a blog page where you can providing hourly updates as to what is going on. If you are doing a restore, what percantage it is at. How are things looking. So at least your customers have some visibility and you don't have to respond to multiple tickets about the same issue.

Thanks.

Rahul LStaff (06/02/2017 07:33)
Hello Mansoor,

We apologize to you for this inconvenience caused.
The account restoration process is still going on and we will update you once its done. Please standby for further updates

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 10:39)
Please do not put me out of business guys. Please for the love of God, just give me a copy of my sites (backups) so I can go to another host. This will completely shut down my business. Six of my customers have already sent me a written request to cancel their hosting and provide them with backups. Why are you doing this? All I am asking respectfully is for my backups. Please help me out. Please do not send me an email to be patient and wait for further updates. Please please give me my backup Nick.

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 16:08)
The day is almost ending now. This is the fourth day.

Any update, any ETA?

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 17:24)
Hi Guys,

I think I have already begged and pleaded just to get a backup of my sites. I am willing to pay to get the backup so please let me know if you want to charge me for your efforts to provide me with a backup. I have heard every curse word since morning from my customers and I don't know even know what to do. I am not a bad person, I swear. Why are you doing this to me? Did I do something wrong to you? Please at least answer.

Luis HStaff (06/02/2017 17:48)
Hello Mansoor,

You can find all the backups for your websites on following URL.

http://192.227.225.42/samsofthbackup/

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 18:25)
Hi Luis,

None of those backups belong to my customers or resold accounts. I think you have my account confused with someone else.

(NOTE: Whoever owns Sam Soft Tech, if you are on this forum and need your backups, please contact me. I have cpanel backup which includes all your clients data and emails and can provide you a copy. These incompetent people gave me all your files)

Luis HStaff (06/02/2017 18:28)
Hello Mansoor,

My apologies.

Please hold on.

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 20:26)
Hi Luis,

Any update on my backups please

Luis HStaff (06/02/2017 20:51)
Hello Mansoor,

There are around 60 websites it will take some time as we need to move each backup manually.

Mansoor Client (06/02/2017 21:14)
Ok.. Thank you.

Luis HStaff (06/02/2017 21:25)
Hello Mansoor,

Technicians are migrating this system to a brand new server due to the hardware issues that have caused the old titanium to blow up.

No ETA as there is over 3TB's in data but we are hoping this will be completed within next 12 hours.

Peter EvansStaff (06/03/2017 03:02)
Mansoor,

Your domains should be online now. Please verify.
Mansoor Client (06/03/2017 05:18)
I don't think any one of them is back up? I can't login to cpanel or whm either? What IP are they supposed to be on under?

Luis HStaff (06/03/2017 06:39)
Hello Mansoor,

I'm actively reviewing your support request and will get back to you as quickly as possible with more data

Mansoor Client (06/03/2017 13:23)
These three domains are missing their DB:

Redacted the domains due to customer privacy

In the end folks, they never provided me with backup, three DB’s with customer data were completely lost. The moment their servers came up, I immediately took backups and migrated my customers to another host and that host on LET was awesome and restored all 64 accounts immediately and free of charge.

Here is the sucky part, 6 of my customers did not use my DNS servers so migrating them was a bit difficult. While I was in the process of trying to get their DNS entries modified so I could migrate, their crappy service still continued to go down constantly and today lo’ behold, they have been down for more than 12 hours already. All I get back for my support tickets is that we are actively reviewing your support request. They have screwed up things so badly that wrong websites are being served for different URLS. Its messing up SEO because instead of showing as down, they are actually serving Mechanical Engineering website that belongs to another customer for a customer who runs a Fencing Business. We have had to shutdown the adwords campaign. I have asked them to at least stop the services so the SEO does not get impacted and wrong info does not get into Google index and of course get the response “We are actively reviewing your support request”. Except for two sites now left, I have migrated all the other sites to different host. These two sites had data updated since the last backup I made so I am now once again at their mercy to sort things out. Pretty sure I am screwed again based on the lack of response. Many of you might ask, why did I not backup the 6 sites regularly while I wait to migrate. I did backup every 24 hours but guess what Hudson Valley managed to screw me on that too. The Cpanel backups I was downloading and backing up daily are all missing the mySQL database. Apparently, they detached the MYSQL from my cpanel account somehow when they tried to fix the original MYSQL errors 2 weeks ago so now I got no Mysql DBs. Argghh!

And here is the best part, watch @Nick respond to this thread by saying, “We do not discuss support requests on public forums”. Nick, I give you full permission to discuss my support thread publicly and the misery you put me through and the six customers you have costed me and how your support team cannot even tell their own head from their ass and the only thing they can do is reply back with “I am actively reviewing your support ticket”. Let’s discuss why you refuse to tweet about downtime or post something on your website, even if its in secure area about network/server issues and provide updated information instead for five days you want customers to come to you on support tickets and beg for updates. How you have no audacity to apologize for data loss or fix things. Ticket #151245 & Ticket #319240.

I asked your team five different times if they did some restore on the accounts and each time they said no but they LIED because all off a sudden the 64 accounts I deleted 9 days ago appeared in my WHM so you guys restored and the data goes back to 9 days ago. The six websites that were remaining to be migrated have all gone back 9 days in time and Peter keeps saying he is looking into it. Its been 71 hours. Each time I follow up (4 hours interval) it’s the same BS, we are actively reviewing your support ticket and four hours later please check now. Check what now? What did you fix? Sites are still down. Change the host entry and test it yourself and the replay will be back again, we are actively reviewing your support ticket and four hours later please check now

BEWARE folks. Want to lose customers and your mind than go with Hudson Valley Hosting (The hosting company from HELL)

Thanked by 1___

Comments

• cassacassa Member

yes.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I can't even believe they are in business and LEB/LET admins let them advertise their services. Maybe its because they pay for banner advertising.

Nobody makes me do anything. I don't get the ad money, colocrossing does. We don't filter providers based on quality, that's up to you. If you order, pay, get a provisioning email eventually, and can log in at any point not long after that, not our territory anymore.

Always shop smart. Ask others for opinions, read reviews, etc.

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • Shouldn't this be in the Outages or Reviews section?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

-- Boy, boy do you feel it?

-- No... no, what is it?

-- Drama... the drama is coming...

• @advarisk said:
    Shouldn't this be in the Outages or Reviews section?

Moved it to Reviews

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I remember when HVH were decent.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Nekki said:

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jarland said:

@Nekki said:

I was stupidly excited when on my first trip to the US I walked into a bodega and they sold those Milano cookies.

• SadySady Member

This is a good example of why you should also test your backups periodically.

P.S I've a dirty cheap cPanel VPS from HVH which costs less than a normal cPanel license itself and is running solid for more than an year now.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Hello @mansoor,

• They reek of oversoldness

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

Sorry to hear about your issues on the old titanium reseller machine (the shared server you were on that exploded), as you are aware the machine failed us and the old outdated backup system wasn't much help either. You aren't the only reseller that was effected by this sadly.

The courtesy backup system is under review and we apologize for any inconvenience. We try the best we can with what we have to work with as a low end host and wish you the best of luck. The staff member that gave you the wrong backup has been made aware of this situation and spoken with to ensure the same mistake does not occur, again we are sorry about that as well...

I see a refund was already issued by our staff and do not hesitate to reach out to me directly via a PM on here or anything of the sort should you need any further assistance from myself.

tldr: Apologies you were effected by our outage and and all the other issues that followed, we are reviewing our systems in place to ensure other customers don't share the same experience you faced.

Sady said: This is a good example of why you should also test your backups periodically.

P.S I've a dirty cheap cPanel VPS from HVH which costs less than a normal cPanel license itself and is running solid for more than an year now.

I could not agree more, we do our best to keep backups in place (obviously we had issues here with titainium and all this data with the automated setup).

Glad to hear it, like I said we do what we can and are happy to hear your dirty cheap managed VPS works flawlessly :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

Sady said: This is a good example of why you should also test your backups periodically.

+1000!

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

The OP is a wall of text very hard to read trough in the morning rush hour. TL;DR anyone please ?

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider said:
    The OP is a wall of text very hard to read trough in the morning rush hour. TL;DR anyone please ?

BIG BOLD FONT MAN ANGRY AT HOST

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Clouvider said:

HVH server died.

OP had no backups.

HVH do not backup customer data effectively on cPanel.

HVH support were as good as ever.

HVH gave the OP someone else's data.

HVH apologised.

• Those replies from support reminds me of supportmonks outsourced services lol.
    Same script as always and sometimes incoherent

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: HVH gave the OP someone else's data.

This part was epic.

Thanked by 2dedipromo vedran
  • I think I'm going to need 2x the amount of coffee after reading this post :D

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Get hosting - make a contract with the devil.

Plan 1 - 1 human soul

Plan 2 - 2 human souls

Plan 3 - 3 human souls

Plan Unlimited - All human souls in your family

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited June 2017

Firstly choosing HvH for production is already bad.

If your selling services and got no own off site backups its on you.

HVH is a budget service and if your clients is so important why not get a dedi, atleast you have more control over it.

That being said giving wrong data indeed is a major error on HVH.

alexnjh said: That being said giving wrong data indeed is a major error on HVH.

It sure was, as mentioned taking the corrective measures to ensure our technicians do not make that same mistake again!

• Having been with HVH for quite a few years and I am satisfied with their VPS services so far. High uptime and decent customer support. I have not ever used their shared hosting plans though.

dedipromo said: Having been with HVH for quite a few years and I am satisfied with their VPS services so far. High uptime and decent customer support. I have not ever used their shared hosting plans though.

Thank you for the positive feedback, we do the best we can!

• @Rhys said:

@Clouvider said:
    The OP is a wall of text very hard to read trough in the morning rush hour. TL;DR

anyone please ?

I did not use any bold font. In fact I pasted the whole article in Notepad and than did a cut and paste on LET but it keeps making part of the post bold.

@jarland, why does it keep doing that. Even on the LET editor, I selected all text and checked and unchecked bold to clear the bold font but it still ends up making some parts bold on its own.

mansoor said: @jarland, why does it keep doing that. Even on the LET editor, I selected all text and checked and unchecked bold to clear the bold font but it still ends up making some parts bold on its own.

Sadly this is a known issue here we plan to have squashed relatively soon after some well needed/overdue updates.

• @mansoor said:

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Nick said:

mansoor said: @jarland, why does it keep doing that. Even on the LET editor, I selected all text and checked and unchecked bold to clear the bold font but it still ends up making some parts bold on its own.

Sadly this is a known issue here we plan to have squashed relatively soon after some well needed/overdue updates.

Actually I don't think this is a bug but rather normal Markdown effects. When you put a line of equal signs, Markdown interprets that as you wanting to style the text as a header. You'll notice it's not just bold but rather bold + bigger font (a header).

All of the big bold lines above is followed by a row of equals signs.

Here's a screen shot of the raw post to show what I mean

Thanked by 1vedran

raindog308 said: @Nick said:

Actually I don't think this is a bug but rather normal Markdown effects. When you put a line of equal signs, Markdown interprets that as you wanting to style the text as a header. You'll notice it's not just bold but rather bold + bigger font (a header).

>

Good find!

• @raindog308 said:

@Nick said:

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I have fixed it and now it looks normal.