Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using srorj 'RENT YOUR DRIVE'?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using srorj 'RENT YOUR DRIVE'?

sanvitsanvit Member

Hi there! Is anyone using storj's rent your drive? I have a few TBs of external hard drives not in use, and an Orange Pi not in use, so I was thinking of using this to earn some extra bucks. How much is the payout? How long does it take to payout? How much bandwidth does it use(My home internet connection is 500/500 for up to 100GB/day than limited to 100/100)?

Thankyou!

Comments

• ewrekewrek Member

The most imported question is: Does your isp allow it.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@ewrek said:

Well, I don't see any ToS limiting such use, and I'm currently using it for seedboxing and my file server, and never got any notice regarding it...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2017

ewrek said: The most imported question is: Does your isp allow it.

LOL no, not even in the top-10. What's with people's obsession at "what ISP allows". Does the ISP need to know in the first place? Nope. And don't worry, you're not going to jail for overlooking some piece of silly ISP TOS.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @ewrek said:

Do you ask your mother for permission before using the toilet?

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • ewrekewrek Member

@deadbeef said:

@ewrek said:

Do you ask your mother for permission before using the toilet?

@rm_ said:

ewrek said: The most imported question is: Does your isp allow it.

LOL no, not even in the top-10. What's with people's obsession at "what ISP allows". Does the ISP need to know in the first place? Nope. And don't worry, you're not going to jail for overlooking some piece of silly ISP TOS.
    @sanvit said:

@ewrek said:

Well, I don't see any ToS limiting such use, and I'm currently using it for seedboxing and my file server, and never got any notice regarding it...

The problem is if the one that rents the server abused it. The isp of the ts will most likely block the ethernet connection.

• sanvitsanvit Member

what is 'abuse'? I'm paying the price for 500/500 and there is no such ToS limiting any use of the service except for illegal usage and limiting the port speed to 100/100 when transfer reached 100GB/day.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

So I gave it a trial run on one of my Kimsufi boxes for 12 hours and I can say that there is a lack of users of this service. The used space is 400MB out of allocated 1.2TB. The traffic is negligible.

Overall it seems like an ambitious project and I hope it will become more popular.

• kjl24kjl24 Member

I'm running sia and storj. I love the idea. But there're way more hosts than renters.