Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Updated] Windows on OVH VPS SSD - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Updated] Windows on OVH VPS SSD

Comments

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited June 2017

Any update?

@ethancedrik said:
    almost done

• @ethancedrik said:
    almost done

Do you have a windows 10 template ?

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited June 2017

Edit: I was trying to do symlinks but apache2 refused to work with that giving me a HTTP 403 error every time so I'm working on a different solution

• @ethancedrik Please create mega or google drive link, i try download but current link useless

• Links are working again!

Now working on a mega/google drive link, sorry about the downtime

Thanked by 2B1g4 dragon1993
  • @ethancedrik said:
    Links are working again!

My VPS show sda/b
    What are special templates?

• B1g4B1g4 Member

@ethancedrik said:
    Links are working again!

Thanks! My Windows 2016 server is working on the smallest VPS on OVH with 10GB disk space. After installation, there's only 796MB free space on the VM.

I had issues with the mouse not working when using novnc from Chrome/Firefox. But it works with IE Edge.

• B1g4 said: I had issues with the mouse not working when using novnc from Chrome/Firefox.

are you on a laptop with a touchscreen perhaps? I had the same issue and had to disable touchscreen support in chrome

• B1g4 said: After installation, there's only 796MB free space on the VM.

Yeah I eventually had to order a second disk or upgrade due to the fact that Server 2016 likes to take up a decent amount of space for some reason

Thanked by 1B1g4
  • B1g4B1g4 Member

@ethancedrik said:

B1g4 said: I had issues with the mouse not working when using novnc from Chrome/Firefox.

are you on a laptop with a touchscreen perhaps? I had the same issue and had to disable touchscreen support in chrome

Yes. Mine is a touchscreen, which i use a lot. I found the IE Edge solution to be convenient without having to disable my touchscreen.

Also, wondering if I can install Windows 2016 the same way for the VPS'es from other OVH resellers? Would that work?

• ihadpihadp Member

@B1g4 said:

@ethancedrik said:

B1g4 said: I had issues with the mouse not working when using novnc from Chrome/Firefox.

Yes. Mine is a touchscreen, which i use a lot. I found the IE Edge solution to be convenient without having to disable my touchscreen.

Also, wondering if I can install Windows 2016 the same way for the VPS'es from other OVH resellers? Would that work?

Are you referring to reselling OVH VPS's or vendor whom buy a dedicated server and chop it up into VPS's?

• B1g4B1g4 Member

@ihadp said:
    Are you referring to reselling OVH VPS's or vendor whom buy a dedicated server and chop it up into VPS's?

OVH reseller like https://www.dedicenter.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1 which uses OVH for France locations.

• ihadpihadp Member

@B1g4 said:

@ihadp said:

OVH reseller like https://www.dedicenter.com/cart.php?a=confproduct&i=1 which uses OVH for France locations.

That link just defaults to all of their packages.

• B1g4B1g4 Member

@ihadp said:

@B1g4 said:

@ihadp said:

My Bad! The correct link is https://www.dedicenter.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=203

As per another thread, their French location uses OVH Datacenter.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited June 2017

@B1g4 said:

@ihadp said:

@B1g4 said:

@ihadp said:

My Bad! The correct link is https://www.dedicenter.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=203

As per another thread, their French location uses OVH Datacenter.

They are purchasing a dedicated server from OVH and then chopping it up themselves. In this case they are using OpenVZ so you cannot use the templates here or elsewhere as OpenVZ doesn't support Windows.

You need a VPS provider using KVM to use the templates here. OVH VPS (Direct with OVH), DigitalOcean, Vultr, etc.

Thanked by 1B1g4
  • B1g4B1g4 Member

@ihadp said:
    They are purchasing a dedicated server from OVH and then chopping it up themselves. In this case they are using OpenVZ so you cannot use the templates here or elsewhere as OpenVZ doesn't support Windows.

You need a VPS provider using KVM to use the templates here. OVH VPS (Direct with OVH), DigitalOcean, Vultr, etc.

@ihadp - Thanks for the clarification!

Also, for those who're trying to install the windows templates on OVH 10GB VM, the 2012R2 images gives about 1.34GB free space compared to the 796MB on Windows 2016.

• @ihadp I donated the $5 and tried using the DigitalOcean template links on my OVH VPS, with /dev/sdb specified as the correct disk, but I'm getting a broken pipe error each and every time I try and run the command,

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 4742419180 (4.4G) [application/x-gzip]
    Saving to: “STDOUT”

0% [ ] 33,031 --.-K/s in 0.002s

Cannot write to “-” (Broken pipe).

• ihadpihadp Member

@ethancedrik said:
    @ihadp I donated the $5 and tried using the DigitalOcean template links on my OVH VPS, with /dev/sdb specified as the correct disk, but I'm getting a broken pipe error each and every time I try and run the command,

Apologies I haven't been here on the forums for a little while, please create a thread on www.whatuptime.com and I will do my best to assist.

• @ethancedrik said:
    @ihadp I donated the $5 and tried using the DigitalOcean template links on my OVH VPS, with /dev/sdb specified as the correct disk, but I'm getting a broken pipe error each and every time I try and run the command,

You have problems with admin privileges, try

sudo -i

or

sudo wget -O- 'templatelink.gz' | sudo gunzip | sudo dd of=/dev/sda

• I figured that out, turns out I bought an older version of the template (the DigitalOcean ones, not the Kimsufi ones) so sdb/sda wasn't working reguardless.

I have made progress on my own Windows Server 2012 R2 template and have gotten it to boot so I'm working with that

• Anyone have the template link?
    Looks like it's dead

• I just tried with one of joodle's templates, and it doesn't work. I get the recovery mode error on reboot. My VPS uses the sdb part.

• So, you will have a Windows VPS for $ 3.49 / month:
    2.4 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    10 GB SSD

Do you know if there is any option to South America? I ask because of the IP in foreign countries.

Tks for share.

• What do you think (OP) to use this option to run Windows ?

VmWare + 20 Gb HD

https://lowendbox.com/blog/hostigger-vps-exclusive-offer-2gb-chicago-vps-starting-at-2-99month/

Plan -1
    – 2GB Ram Memory
    – 1x vCPU
    – 20GB SSD Space
    – 2TB transfer
    – 1Gbps uplink
    – 1x IPv4
    – VMware
    – $2.99/month
    – $35.88/year
    – CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Windows Operating Systems

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@DragonDF said:
    What do you think (OP) to use this option to run Windows ?

VmWare + 20 Gb HD

https://lowendbox.com/blog/hostigger-vps-exclusive-offer-2gb-chicago-vps-starting-at-2-99month/

Plan -1
    – 2GB Ram Memory
    – 1x vCPU
    – 20GB SSD Space
    – 2TB transfer
    – 1Gbps uplink
    – 1x IPv4
    – VMware
    – $2.99/month
    – $35.88/year
    – CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Windows Operating Systems

I had to reread that company name multiple times.

Francisco

Thanked by 3sanvit MikeA Aidan
  • WSSWSS Member

@Francisco said:

I had to reread that company name multiple times.

Francisco

I had a similar response this morning when putting my shoes on to take out the dog.

The label is "GoldDiggers", fwiw.

• jooja said: Anyone have the template link? Looks like it's dead

Yeah I think it is dead

Thanked by 1Ovhuser201999
  • yeah 20GB disk space and 2GB ram will be enough for a basic windows install to do some basic stuff

• @ethancedrik said:

jooja said: Anyone have the template link? Looks like it's dead

Yeah I think it is dead

Soz for gravedigging but I don't think a new topic is neccessary. Does anybody have the template? :/

• good tutorial, thank you for sharing :)

This discussion has been closed.