Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSH tunnel is slower than the turtle.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SSH tunnel is slower than the turtle.

I use Firefox. Very slow. How can I solve the problem? My internet speed 24Mbps/download, 8Mbps/upload without SSH tunnel. I get a maximum internet speed of 750Kbps with SSH tunnels.

Comments

• VPSlicesVPSlices Member
    edited June 2017

Have you tried running a speed test on your VPS? If you aren't using a VPS for that, instead using the public SSH accounts, then you can't get better than that, it's crap, most of the public servers are heavily abused.

• @VPSlices said:
    Have you tried running a speed test on your VPS? If you aren't using a VPS for that, instead using the public SSH accounts, then you can't get better than that, it's crap, most of the public servers are heavily abused.

• @VPSlices said:

• bsdguybsdguy Member

Probably your ssl configuration is poor. Setting sym. crypto to default to aes-128 should easily saturate your pipe. Btw also be sure to use a fast hmac.

• @bsdguy said:
    Probably your ssl configuration is poor. Setting sym. crypto to default to aes-128 should easily saturate your pipe. Btw also be sure to use a fast hmac.

How do I make it?

• bsdguybsdguy Member

/etc/ssh/ssh_config. There you change the default ciphers/macs (and potentially the available ones). I know of distros where the default is set to 3des or arcfour (both of which are crappy).

• I also had an issue with slow browsing speed using a SSH tunnel. The solution for me was to stop using Google's DNS/8.8.8.8 in my VPS (/etc/resolv.conf) and use the OpenDNS ones. For some reason, DNS request done by Firefox over the SSH tunnel were really slow, while doing a nslookup on the VPS itself was super snappy. Since I switched to something else, they are both equally fast. YMMV.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @bsdguy said:
    /etc/ssh/ssh_config. There you change the default ciphers/macs (and potentially the available ones). I know of distros where the default is set to 3des or arcfour (both of which are crappy).

Which chipher do you recommend?

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited June 2017

@nesqa2007 said:
    Which chipher do you recommend?

aes-128 plus a sensible mac. chacha-20-12 (or 20-20 if it's supersensitive) plus 25519 is also fine.

@agonyzt said:
    I also had an issue with slow browsing speed using a SSH tunnel. The solution for me was to stop using Google's DNS/8.8.8.8 in my VPS (/etc/resolv.conf) and use the OpenDNS ones. For some reason, DNS request done by Firefox over the SSH tunnel were really slow, while doing a nslookup on the VPS itself was super snappy. Since I switched to something else, they are both equally fast. YMMV.

No. dns can explain very slow session establishment but not a slow channel.

• agonyztagonyzt Member
    edited June 2017

@bsdguy said:
    No. dns can explain very slow session establishment but not a slow channel.

You're 100% right that it only affects session establishment, and it's exactly what was causing the slow browsing issue I faced. When you load a page, dozens of DNS requests are done while loading the various elements that are not hosted on the same domain (trackers, ads, JS librairies import, static assets in CDN, etc).

Once the channel is established, it's blazing fast, but browsing the web doesn't feel snappy at all if your browser has to wait for every name resolution to be fully completed before it can fully render a page.

That being said, it also depends on what OP is trying to achieve. If it's a download, well yeah, problem is somewhere else.

@bsdguy: I respect you as a member of this community as you seems very knowledgeable, but please don't assume that everyone else is a noob :)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

CPU usage on the tunnel server during download/upload ?

• use OpenVPN please..

• bsdguybsdguy Member

@agonyzt said:
    @bsdguy: I respect you as a member of this community as you seems very knowledgeable, but please don't assume that everyone else is a noob :)

Funny. I tried to help and now stand accused of thinking others are noobs ...

As for dns: Unless one opens a new page from a new domain every couple seconds - and - dns is routed through the SSH tunnel, too (which is not default or common) dns does not explain the problem.

btw, I just checked the google ns and found it to be very quick.

• @nesqa2007 said:
    I use Firefox. Very slow. How can I solve the problem? My internet speed 24Mbps/download, 8Mbps/upload without SSH tunnel. I get a maximum internet speed of 750Kbps with SSH tunnels.

Please turn off your antivirus in your pc and try again.

• xaocxaoc Member

@tranzmedia said:

@nesqa2007 said:

Please turn off your antivirus in your pc and try again.

Not a very bright idea since browsing is involved...

• lionlion Member

@xaoc said:

Please stop using antivirus software.

Thanked by 1nulldev
  • Shoot the turtle.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • xaocxaoc Member

@lion said:

@xaoc said:

Please stop using antivirus software.

Nah... Winblows Defender is cute xD. Filtering at the dns level helps as well.