Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's up with Verelox being down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's up with Verelox being down?

bluesegabluesega Member
edited June 2017 in Providers

Hello guys,

It seems @Verelox is down at the moment, checked this night (so about 9 hours ago) and it was not reachable (DNS seems down), and now from work (where DNS has still address in cache) it's still down, saying target network is not reachable.
Does this happen for you as well? Please try https://verelox.com
This does not only apply to their website, my server hosted there also seems to be down, can't reach it and they usually provide only a contact form to reach. I'll try PM them here, hope they're not dead or being under heavy attack or so.

Greetings

Comments

• ewrekewrek Member

try this link: http://verelox.com/

• @ewrek said:

Does this work for you? It says connection closed here and ping says
    --- verelox.com ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 8019ms

• ewrekewrek Member

@bluesega said:

@ewrek said:

Does this work for you? It says connection closed here and ping says
    --- verelox.com ping statistics ---
    9 packets transmitted, 0 received, +6 errors, 100% packet loss, time 8019ms

It says this to me:

We’ll be back soon!

Our network and website is currently under maintenance.
    We’ll be back shortly.

— Verelox

• Okay then. Can't tell about this because all browsers are redirecting to https:// always and then tell it's not reachable, probably it is with :80 and http://, but sadly can't tell. A mail from them would've been nice though. (Is a screenshot possible for you please?)

• Thank you very much. Let's see how long this takes, and of course the reason for that. A > 14 hour maintenance is kinda unusual without prior announcement.

• Did this ever happenned before? And is there any info whether this will take hours or days?

• @bluesega said:
    Thank you very much. Let's see how long this takes, and of course the reason for that. A > 14 hour maintenance is kinda unusual without prior announcement.

I hope you have your own backups.

• I hope they will be back sometime soon.

• sinsin Member

I can't reach their control panel, it just times out.

• @petarpan22 said:
    Did this ever happenned before? And is there any info whether this will take hours or days?

No, it hasn't.
    I mean, it would've been fine if they just announced this by mail or on their social media channels if this was a problem on short notice. But I assume they got some problems they aren't to blame for (e.g. something at SmartDC, etc.) and have to solve this now or a mentioned attack.

Can't really imagine they going offline because they've just recently opened a new location in US and also discussed with me about future plans there.

@cyberpersons said:
    I hope you have your own backups.

I do, but uploading about 300GB onto the server would take some time again :/

• I do, but uploading about 300GB onto the server would take some time again :/

If they don't come back, there is no other alternative, you should save backups to some offshore server, even if you are keeping them in your personal computer.

• sinsin Member

Well it came back up for me but then I just checked and now it's down again.

• sinsin Member

Here's what they posted on their Facebook

We have a security issue with our network/website, we are currectly busy to resolve the problem.
    As expected some servers will be online in 2/4 hours.

More updates coming up...

During this downtime servers are not billed and all client accounts are freezed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kindly Regards,

Verelox Staff.

• edited June 2017

If you specify WWW, this shows up.

First of all, we want to offer our apologies for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately, an ex administrator has deleted all customer data and wiped most servers.
    Because of this, we took the necessary steps to temporarily take our network offline.
    We have been working hard to recover the data but this was not possible for all data that was lost.

>

Our network and hosting services will be back this week with securty updates.
    Current customers who are still interested in our services will receive compensation for their services.
    If clients have important data please contact us at [email protected].
    We will try our best with our technical team to recover you data.

>

Verelox

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member
    edited June 2017

Dextronox said: If you specify WWW, this shows up.

Wow that's nuts! Hope you're able to get your data somehow @bluesega :-(

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Damn that is not nice... I wish @Verelox the best luck.
    Feel free to pm me if you need any help folks.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • All the best @Verelox:)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

If they say the truth the cited announcement is missing a note about police involvement since in most jurisdictions the 'ex-admin' would have not only civil but potentially also a criminal case to answer.

Hope they recover from this. Fingers crossed!

Thanked by 2Bopie netomx
  • Not exactly sure what I should be thinking about this tbh.
    First of all, it's a real pity of course, and I now understand why they weren't able to tell us by mail, etc. about the stuff, due to the missing customer data.
    Also hoping that they'll resolve everything possible for them and that they'll be able to continue to operate services.
    But what also comes to my mind is that this "ex-administrator"-issue sounds...please forgive me my words, but it sounds childish. Like, I don't know if this guy made his way into the system after he was fired, gone, etc. via security breach, but it sounds like company structures are not clearly set (admin didn't know about his position, not being CEO and stuff) and basically they had some sort of fight with this guy, leading him to planning some sort of "revenge", with basically him being an sorry, idiot and they either continued having a fight with him or weren't realizing that (if it wasn't a security breach) you have to remove ex-members of the team's access completely. I've never heard this kind of issue in a real company, only in some sort of private webpages or projects from people, that's why I'm thinking like this. Again, please do not take this as an assault on Verelox, I just couldn't stop thinking about this regarding the reason they are stating.

If this was a security breach, then please, just do everything in order for him taking legal consequences for this. He deserves it.

That being said, I'm still planning to continue operating with them and waiting for them to come up online again. But I guess I'll focus some more on how they are going to trying to prevent this in the future. RAID 10 doesn't help if the one responsible for data loss is on the front side. Please understand my opinion about this due to it was my main server, basically operating 90% of my services and therefore being packed with customized configurations of which I'm not sure I have a up-to-date backup (which is my fault, yes, but still ...) and other reasons (not gonna state all, if I'll get the same IP again, it'll be fine though). Thank you for doing that, and @Verelox - best luck to you to get onto your feet again, I'll be waiting.

Thanked by 2Falzo MichaelCee
  • bluesega said: That being said, I'm still planning to continue operating with them and waiting for them to come up online again.

Whyyyyyyy

• @rajprakash said:
    Whyyyyyyy

Because their services were very good and I liked it, but I guess it'll depend on how they'll perform from now on. If things stay as nice as they were before that faux pas, it'll be fine.
    They deserve a second chance.

• @bluesega
    do you believe the're competent enough to do their job? because they dont keep backup of their billing database.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • @sibaper said:
    @bluesega
    do you believe the're competent enough to do their job? because they dont keep backup of their billing database.

I'm not saying this in a way to defend them, but there's a chance that they had a backup which was also wiped by their ex-administrator. I have no idea how high up that employee was in their company, but there's always a chance that it was wiped by that staff member (although it could be questioned whether they could have done more to prevent staff deleting backups through some kind of muti-level backup system).

• VereloxVerelox Member
    edited June 2017

Thanks everyone for all kind words.
    We have a status update, all dedicated servers located in The Netherlands should be online next hour.
    We are still working on a solution for the cloud servers.

• Verelox said: online next hour

Online with customer data? Or just online with fresh installs?

• TomTom Member

@Verelox best of luck. Did you have backups & the ex-admin wiped these too?

• @rajprakash said:

Verelox said: online next hour

All servers that are coming online have customer data.
    Servers that are wiped will not come online right now, we will e-mail those clients with more information.

@Tom said:

We have a backup of the customer database. Right now we are using the information in this backup to bring up all dedicated servers and cloud servers.
    We are'nt sure yet if we are missing any data in our backup.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • TomTom Member

@Verelox said:

@rajprakash said:

Verelox said: online next hour

All servers that are coming online have customer data.
    Servers that are wiped will not come online right now, we will e-mail those clients with more information.

@Tom said:

We have a backup of the customer database. Right now we are using the information in this backup to bring up all dedicated servers and cloud servers.
    We are'nt sure yet if we are missing any data in our backup.

Good luck. Why did dedicated servers come down anyway? Did you take your whole infra down?