Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would anyone be interested in
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would anyone be interested in

Ben1002Ben1002 Member
edited March 2013 in General

The idea is a VDS, we will split the dedi between 4 people, the dedi has 2 x 1Gbit ports.

What we would do is setup KVM on here and split it into

4 x 4GB Ram, 1 x dedicated physical core and 1 x dedicated hyper threading core 500GB dedicated raid 10 disk space and 1Gbit port shared between 2 people (Main node will have dual gbit ports)

If one of the VDS's on the Gbit port was to get ddos'd then we could move that over to the second Gbit port so that they would be unaffected.

The processor would be e3 1230V2 and the ram would be 1333Mhz ECC, We would charge approximately $50 /month

Comments

• AsadAsad Member

What location?

I think BlueVM did these for $40 last year

• @AsadHaider

It would be in Germany, however with our offer there will only be 2 people on each Gbit port and 4 people on the entire node, so you will have dedicated CPU, Ram and Disk

• Nice Ben, I hope someone will take this offer.

• VDS is marketing term to act like your VPS'es aren't oversold. With all the LEB dedi offers this is going to be hard to compete with. And having $50 as budget for a VPS instead of $7 will give a lot more VPS options, even Xen.

And in case you wanted to get listed on LEB as "Virtual" Dedicated Server then you're out of luck, that's not allowed, I asked before.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@AsadHaider said: I think BlueVM did these for $40 last year

We still do semis for $30, not $40.

But it's currently out of stock due to the demand.

• Some additional discussion about the subject here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6566/quarter-server-vetting

• @BronzeByte This will be KVM, there WILL be only a maximum of 4 clients per box, people should know by now with ND WYSIWG :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I like the idea. But can OVZ VPS be provided within and how much do IPs cost

• earlearl Member

@BenND said: The processor would be e3 1230V2 and the ram would be 1333Mhz ECC, We would charge approximately $50 /month

What is the benefit of getting a VDS?

For $59 p/m I can get a E3-1230 V2 Dedi with 16GB of ram and 2TB of HD, for $29 p/m I can get a core2quad Dedi which is still less then than $50 you would charge for a VDS?

• Raid 10, BBU, 2x1GBit, easily backup and migrate VM's

• earlearl Member

@BradND said: Raid 10, BBU

Yeah a good RAID might be worth it but you are sacrificing so much for it..

• @earl not really. You will get better disk speed. A lot better network performance and the 2 cores of the e3 will probably perform just as we'll as the core 2 quads if not better.

• @BenND said: split it into

4 x 4GB Ram

that means 4 servers with 4GB of RAM, or one with 16GB?

• @shovenose said: I like the idea. But can OVZ VPS be provided within and how much do IPs cost

Of course you can run OpenVZ inside KVM, and seriously? You want to go the same way as it was with OVH?

• 4 Servers with 4GB ram, Obviously different clients, alternatively you could rent out the entire server for $150/month pricing is not entirely final yet.

• earlearl Member

What do you think will be the performance loss in using KVM?
    Not saying it's a bad deal, it seems bluevm's VDS is pretty popular, but I have a couple of dedi that use dual HD in software RAID0 that is still under $50 p/m.. even datashack has the HW RAID deal with dual HD on the AMD for $39 p/m

• @Earl yes but they are old, terrible raid cards. These will brand new Adaptecs.

Kvm AFAIK has around %3-5 degradation

• Raid 0 means no redundancy. Raid 1 means not great speed. Whereas we have raid 10. Like I also stated. 2 cores of a e3 will put perform any AMD

• @BenND said: 2 cores of a e3 will put perform any AMD

Please proof that...

• earlearl Member

@BradND said: Kvm AFAIK has around %3-5 degradation

That's not as bad as I would have thought..

@BenND said: Raid 0 means no redundancy.

Yeah I'm on proxmox, I download backups frequently..not hosting mission critical stuff anyways just hobby sites testing, etc..

@BenND said: 2 cores of a e3 will put perform any AMD

Well the E3 is one core with hyper threading so essentially one real core..

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz 9,078 (9078/4 cores=2269.5/core)
    AMD Phenom II X4 840 3,092

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

2 cores of a e3 will put perform any AMD
    1 x dedicated physical core and 1 x dedicated hyper threading core

"1 x dedicated physical core and 1 x dedicated hyper threading core" is 1core/2threads not 2 cores

1 core/2threads of an e3 wouldn't outperform the $39 i3-2130 dedi you can get from Kimsufi (which also comes with 8GB RAM and 2 x 1TB drives)

I won't even mention the little fact that the full 4 cores/8 threads cores of any E3 will slightly underperform an AMD Opteron 6272.

earl said "Well the E3 is one core with hyper threading so essentially one real core.."

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz 9,078 (9078/4 cores=2269.5/core)"

the $39 Kimsufi i3 has a passmark score of about 4016. Worldstream frequently has AMD Phenom X4 945's (passmark 3740) w/ 4- 8GB RAM for 35-40 euros which will also outperform 1 core/2threads of an E3

• @earl I didn't actually double check as I was just finishing up at work and made that comment on my phone.

• I dont think its very fair to be comparing things with OVH. This is a good idea and something I think is worth pursuing.

edited March 2013

ShardHost said " I dont think its very fair to be comparing things with OVH."

OVH is one of the many options available to end users like myself when we are deciding which server to choose so it is fair when end users compare all of the options that are available to them from different providers.

• earlearl Member

@DomainBop said: the $39 Kimsufi i3 has a passmark score of about 4016.

Yeah i think this is a good deal.. the OVH in canada is also inclusive of the 3 fail over IP, unfrotunately with the KS series server 4 IP is all you can get!

@BenND said: @earl I didn't actually double check as I was just finishing up at work and made that comment on my phone.

Not a big deal really.. I know I can't even fully utilize the power of an atom processor more so than an E3.. I think the main thing would the I/O.

• Hmm,

I think @Damian summarised it in his thread and it's been echoed here aswell "BUT OVH CAN DO IT CHEAPER"

Ok, so maybe they can, but you have to ask yourselves how often do services like ovh ever respond to tickets? Perhaps the only selling point for these is that we can allocate as many IP's as you need with justification, plus offer support.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

How about you just pretend OVH doesn't exist. Then this seems like a nice, reasonable deal :)

edited March 2013

raid 10 disk space

Since I'm dispensing my end user views I use when choosing hosting. I thought I'd add another one. :P

Raid10 is a definite positive when choosing a VPS and much better than Raid1/Raid0 BUT Raid10 on a single server is not a high availability solution and you could still be looking at an extended day long downtime if something goes really wrong (latest example: the failed raid cards on Front Range Hosting's servers). If I'm going to spend $50 for part of a server (VPS, Semi-dedicated, etc) I'm going to choose a high availability solution (yeah, the overhyped "cloud" solution) to reduce my risks not a single server/Raid10 solution.

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

deleted ...

• @BradND said: Ok, so maybe they can, but you have to ask yourselves how often do services like ovh ever respond to tickets?

Indeed, I tried to reason with people in that thread on this point, but price seems to be the only driving factor. Til the company has an outage or loses your data, anyway....