Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH hubic review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH hubic review

GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
edited May 2017 in Reviews

https://hubic.com/en/offers/

Overall good cloud storage for the prices, the iOS app was a but iffy for me as it hasn't been updated since 2015 but still is iOS 9 compliant, but for the prices you're getting the offers for no complaints at all.

They don't advertise this service at all whatsoever so I had no clue it even existed until recently.

You need a non-country locked visa debit or credit card to be able to upgrade your storage offer as well.

Thanked by 1pbgben

Comments

• cochoncochon Member

@ethancedrik said:

They don't advertise this service at all whatsoever

I think they got cold feet and wished they'd never launched it, once they realised that it was being used by data hoarders and semi-commercial operations like long term backups. Indeed, this must be one of the most unloved projects still in production.

It goes through spells of unreliability, flaky logins and intermittent upload failures rather than completely off-line. There is zero support, even the forum that used to have occasional feedback has gone into permanent 'migration' mode.

It does however work well as an off-site backup medium, albeit a very slow one at 10mbs, and given recent manoeuvring by Amazon and surely eventually Google to row back on their unlimited storage for peanuts offers, with this at least you get what's written on the tin, nothing more/less.

So caveat emptor as they say...

• graphicgraphic Member

I've used some fake emails to upgrade the free 25gb to 50gb.
    Now i store some not needed shit cause i'm using nextcloud on my own dedi.

I think the free account is good for not so important files but i would not recommend the 10tb plan cause of capped download speed.

• MalinMalin Member

Been using them for over a year now. It's good but slow as hell which is why I'm moving everything to Amazon Cloud Drive.

• flexflex Member
    edited May 2017

used it for a while and it was a tragedy, no support, breaking down/uploads, slow speed...

if you have unimportant stuff (some small backup packages) you can use it

else do yourself a favor and use other services

• @cochon said:

@ethancedrik said:

They don't advertise this service at all whatsoever

I think they got cold feet and wished they'd never launched it, once they realised that it was being used by data hoarders and semi-commercial operations like long term backups. Indeed, this must be one of the most unloved projects still in production.

It goes through spells of unreliability, flaky logins and intermittent upload failures rather than completely off-line. There is zero support, even the forum that used to have occasional feedback has gone into permanent 'migration' mode.

It does however work well as an off-site backup medium, albeit a very slow one at 10mbs, and given recent manoeuvring by Amazon and surely eventually Google to row back on their unlimited storage for peanuts offers, with this at least you get what's written on the tin, nothing more/less.

So caveat emptor as they say...

Can't really hoard on there. Pulling data is limited to 10mb/s (100mbit/s ish). Uploading is fine, but you'll regret putting large amounts of data on it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

It's a good little service for a set of cheap additional backups. I use it to store additional copies of MAME romsets.

• cochoncochon Member

@doghouch said:
    data is limited to 10mb/s (100mbit/s ish). Uploading is fine.

Actually it's worse, it really is 10Mb/s (1MB/s ish), and in my recent experience upload is throttled to similar levels.

But it is fine as an archive or secondary backup, and seems possibly more reliable long term than ACD or GDrive given the recent shenanigans with rclone and acd_cli where people have been denied access to their data without warning.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I use the windows client with the built in backup snapshots, wannacry can get fucked.

• @pbgben said:
    I use the windows client with the built in backup snapshots, wannacry can get fucked.

Does it let you take snapshots of your own PC? I need to try that out, I know you can take backups of your phone's pics, vids, etc with it which is nice since it's cheap secure storage, I also tried Mega (which is actually hosted in Germany afaik) and their prices are a bit higher plus upload speed at least for me is pretty much around the same.

@ethancedrik said:

@pbgben said:

Does it let you take snapshots of your own PC? I need to try that out, I know you can take backups of your phone's pics, vids, etc with it which is nice since it's cheap secure storage, I also tried Mega (which is actually hosted in Germany afaik) and their prices are a bit higher plus upload speed at least for me is pretty much around the same.

Its not really a snapshot as you might expect, it has a specific function to do backups, and then it does incremental like thing so if you delete something or get crypto then you can restore the data.

• williewillie Member

It was fast (100+ mb/s) despite the tos saying it was much slower. Then OVH realized people were using it to back up servers, so Oles announced it would be slowing down to its specified speed, but they were going to decrease the price of OVH cloud storage from €0.01/gb/mo to 0.004. That decrease never happened and instead the cloud archive product was announced, at €0.002/gb/mo but a vastly different usage profile.

See: Oles post of 06/02/2016, 10h32 here (in french):

https://forum.ovh.com/showthread.php/108343-hubiC-PCS-et-PCA

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

OVH hubic was terrible and slow from day one, pointless waste of time and money, better to get storage VPS elsewhere than to pay for hubic service.

• ljsealsljseals Member

I use Hubic and rclone and it is pretty much awesome. While I am not uploading gigs of data for a simple backup solution for your websites it is ideal.

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited May 2017

I just use it for long term data backup, my upload at home is at 8mbps so I can't pass it's connection cap but when I download my data, I get around 14mbps so I guess a bit faster then everyone else here..

• do anyone have hubic refferals? I would like to register to hubic.

• ljsealsljseals Member
    edited May 2017

I do not mind if you use my code: EFYWSJ

https://t.co/VYU86noCNK

Get additional space when you recommend a friend! You can get up to 2.5 TB extra space when you recommend 5 people. Each recommended friend will then get 30 GB storage space for free!

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited May 2017

so, does it allow 100mbit upload from within ovh/kimsufi network these days?

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

@vimalware said:

I'll test this, in theory OVH --> OVH traffic itself should be a lot faster than from a provider which has no direct peering with them like my home ISP, and it's a lot cheaper than their FTP backup option for their servers so that'll be interesting to see. It is hosted in their currently largest datacenter, GRA1 so I assume if you have a server in that DC speeds will be even more better with very low latency).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • BochiBochi Member

@ethancedrik said:

@vimalware said:

I'll test this, in theory OVH --> OVH traffic itself should be a lot faster than from a provider which has no direct peering with them like my home ISP, and it's a lot cheaper than their FTP backup option for their servers so that'll be interesting to see. It is hosted in their currently largest datacenter, GRA1 so I assume if you have a server in that DC speeds will be even more better with very low latency).

Don't forget that we are talking about a artificial limitation and not something caused by a network bottleneck somewhere on the route.
    So it should only be faster if OVH explicitly allows that in this case, but let us know what your findings are! :)

I came up with a theory on the bandwidth limits, I have been testing the ARM storage offer to see if there is a possibility to make use of them, and they too have a 100mbits limit. So I did some thinking and came to a logical reason.

Ovh must be setting up infrastructure with specific backhaul, from the server through the rack switch, room switch, building switch fabric etc.

If each rack is given a 10gbit haul then the more dense the hardware the less bw per unit is available.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

Hubic did not update for a long time and it works very slowly.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • HadrielHadriel Member

Are you sure the SYS ARM storage servers are 100mbit? They are advertised as 250mbit. I was just about to buy one.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Here's my review of hubiC:

I started testing them in December of last year since they offered cheap overseas storage that was compatible with my NAS's software (Synology HyperBackup). They are slow, but that was expected so I continued testing them fully expecting subpar performance. I was testing them along with Amazon Drive and Google Drive which both achieved more than double the performance (maxing out my 50Mbps upload speed). I didn't care too much because it was overseas so I felt it would be make a good mirror of my data anyways.

The problem was when I went to go purchase a plan, it threw an error and I was unable to pay for the service. I went to the forums to see if it was just me and HOLY SMOKES! I can see why they closed down their forums, it was REALLY bad. The majority of the posts were people complaining about one thing or another, the scary thing was A LOT of people were reporting billing issues but since their support was so slow these users who were unable to renew their services LOST ALL OF THEIR DATA. It was gone, unrecoverable according to hubiC staff. There were also a lot of clients reporting data loss and corruption but those threads were deleted within 24 hours so I'm unsure if it was a troll or OVH covering up massive data corruption. I checked the forums every day for over a week to see more and more complaints about billing, data loss, lack of support, and other bad things so when the hubiC staff finally contacted me a few weeks later I opted to not purchase the service. I just couldn't trust my versioned backups to a flaky billing system, I would lose a years worth of versions and have to start over again which would be painful.

A month back I read reviews saying they've made changes to their system so I started using the free storage I had with them to backup a single directory that wasn't important at all just to see if I noticed a performance improvement, I've got the same directory being backed up to Google Drive and here are the results:

Google Drive Duration: 3 Minute 50 Second
    hubiC Duration: 6 Minute 25 Second

It's better than before, but I can't get over the idea of having to start over every year. Since I'm paying for Google Drive and Amazon Drive though I'm still tempted to add hubiC to the mix just to see what it's like come renewal time.

Thanked by 3uptime marrco flex
  • If you use this as a backup... it's very fast to some servers, but extremely slow to some others. Make sure you test it with rclone and large files.

• EdmondEdmond Member

I mean Hubic isn't the best thing, but I just like dumping my backup data on it. Just not too happy with the bandwidth limit but again, it's free! But it sometimes glitches out for me and my uploads just restart from zero again, find that very annoying when I put backups up from my home internet (5mbps up)...

My referral code is AQEWUH if anyone wants a extra 5GB on sign up.
    Or just click here.

Thanked by 1cpsd
  • cpsdcpsd Member

I registered through your link and I got 25 and after logout and log in I saw the 30gb ;)

• pbgben said: I have been testing the ARM storage offer to see if there is a possibility to make use of them

have you been able to make use of them?