Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torqhost - 40% off all annual VPS packages - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Torqhost - 40% off all annual VPS packages

2»

Comments

• imperioimperio Member
    edited March 2013

@LAKid

It is an early check if your VPS is performing poor or not.And also DD, IO ping and FIO tests finish at most 10 minutes on a healthy VPS. I guess i can peak my VPS for just 10 minutes if i paid monthly or yearly as 10 minutes peak usage can not be called as abuse.

• LAKidLAKid Member

@torqhost @imperio thanks for inputs....:)

• do you allow torrenting?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@Ruriko said: do you allow torrenting?

Let me see.

7. Unacceptable Conduct
    (n) Running any type of P2P (Peer to peer) applications on VPS servers (e.g. Bittorrent, Edonkey, etc)

https://www.torqhost.com/pages/terms_of_service

@Ruriko what do you think? :)

• @Spirit guess it's a nope :o

• @torqhost said: The issue was caused because there were OS installations going on at the time on the node and the benchmark caused a latency increase.

@LAKid said: What's the point of running benchmark anyway?

@imperio said: To have comparable information about the VPS.

These "benchmark" tests are not valid for comparing VPS.

Valid comparisons can only be done in a controlled environment, and it is obviously impossible for an end user to control the server environment (cf. Scientific control).

If this benchmark had been allowed to run to completion it would have shown "poor" disk performance, and the conclusion would be "Torqhost IO sucks!" -- which is obviously an invalid conclusion.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited March 2013

@sleddog

I am professional enough to judge and compare VPS correctly.I am not doing scientific research nor this is rocket science.

• LAKidLAKid Member

just don't bother others.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited March 2013

@LAKid

I answered you before.10 minutes peak usage can not be called as abuse.VPS is a shared environment if the customer requests %100 resources dedicated to him 24/7/365 he should buy a dedicated server not VPS.

• @imperio said: I am professional enough to judge and compare VPS correctly.

That's good. But lots of people aren't and simply accept the numbers as gospel.

I am not doing scientific research nor this is rocket science.

Which doesn't change the fact that in a uncontrolled environment benchmark testing produces questionable results.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited March 2013

We are on lowendtalk and so I assume we know how to run, judge and optimize things in limited and shared environments.

• @imperio Actually even doing something for a short period of time that causes bad effects for other users is considered abuse. This is part of the definition for the word abuse.
    10 minutes of peak usage also subjective. CPU peak usage for 10 minutes is nothing as there is plenty of reserve, but peak IO usage for 10 minutes that causes high latency increases is significant.

But I think this has gone a bit offtopic now.

• imperioimperio Member
    edited March 2013

@torqhost

Limiting I/O usage per customer is more good idea then monitoring and suspending.I expect 10 minutes peak cpu, I/O or bandwidth usage from any provider as it is provider's responsibility to share resources fairly when someone or all the customers are peaking.

• @imperio

There are also implications for limiting and "fairly sharing" resources (you can read about unmetered shared gigabit connections which is the same principle and issues encountered there). Basically there is no solution here that would make everyone happy and everyone can choose what fits their needs best. If you are not happy with the server, please contact us via a ticket and refunding it is not an issue.

• @imperio said: Be careful while doing a serverbear benchmark hence my KVM VPS has been suspended due to "Your server was suspended for extreme IO abuse. Heavily writing / reading from disk is not allowed as it is a shared resource. "

Sorry to hear, this has only ever happened on 1 other occasion (that we've been notified of), seen plenty of benches from Torq in the past.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Solid provider, good support and uptime. Great offer too.

@torqhost can we renew at this prices?

I am very happy with my KVM Level 1, specially since the migration to Linx Telecom and would like to know if it's possible to apply the coupon to my existing plan for the renewals.

• @Nyr Thank you.

If your renewal is close (within 1-1.5 months), sure, we can apply the coupon. If it is not close, it is best to contact sales to discuss the options. It is possible to still use the coupon, but whether it makes sense depends on how far you are in your term. If you open a billing ticket, we can calculate it for you.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@torqhost said: It is possible to still use the coupon, but whether it makes sense depends on how far you are in your term. If you open a billing ticket, we can calculate it for you.

Calculate what? He want new discounted pricing (15 EUR / year) for renewal after payment for current year expire not to apply coupon for existing payment ;-)

Btw. hardly waiting IPv6. This will rocks!

• @Spirit As explained, we can apply the coupon if renewal date is within 1.5 months. Otherwise, the service needs to be cancelled and re-ordered with the coupon, so calculate how much is left in the current term.

• @torqhost
    KVM won't be restocked anymore?
    I have a little Xen one and was considering to change it for a KVM with this offer :P

• @yomero Not right away. Closer to the end of the month KVM will be restocked.

• @torqhost said: Closer to the end of the month KVM will be restocked.

So I guess the offer won't last for that date hehe...
    Thanks!

• any news on restocking kvm?

• They would be restocked some time mid April (in a week or so).

• do you plan to do 40% discount again?

• @torqhost - any plans to do this promo again? i want a kvm