Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can KVM Vps be oversold?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

can KVM Vps be oversold?

m3gfm3gf Member
edited May 2017 in General

just wondering ,

Poll not found

Comments

• ashkulzashkulz Member

Yes.

• cociucociu Member

yes

• m3gfm3gf Member

@advarisk said:
      Yes.

damn. it is horrible.

• m3gfm3gf Member

@cociu said:
      yes

what about Xen? it can be overcommitting ,too?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You need to define your parameters a little as almost the entire point of virtualization is density, to begin with.

CPU - Yes

Disk - Possible on both but with a performance hit and I don't think many hosts would bother as disk is cheap.

RAM - KVM yes but not to any outrageous proportions, Xen - sort of but it is visible to the end user, the only host I have seen doing this is cloud.net

Network - obviously.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
    • m3gfm3gf Member

@AnthonySmith said:
      You need to define your parameters a little as almost the entire point of virtualization is density, to begin with.

CPU - Yes

Disk - Possible on both but with a performance hit and I don't think many hosts would bother as disk is cheap.

RAM - KVM yes but not to any outrageous proportions, Xen - sort of but it is visible to the end user, the only host I have seen doing this is cloud.net

Network - obviously.

it is hard to find a reliable provider.

• BopieBopie Member

Short answer is yes,

Long answer is one of how much a host will oversell, it's better to get more from one single machine as long as you don't massively oversell but the same thing at the other end, If you do not keep an eye on stats and usage etc you can be in for one hell of a surprise when the node is at 100% everything.

The only way to guarantee resources these days is to buy a dedicated server or go with a reputable provider who has a proven record.

• you can basically oversell until your memory is full with memory ballooning (i don't do that nor oversell). That would be the limit

• BopieBopie Member

@clickcloudit said:
      you can basically oversell until your memory is full with memory ballooning (i don't do that nor oversell). That would be the limit

If you should or should not oversell is another argument all together aha

• cociucociu Member

m3gf said: it is hard to find a reliable provider.

wrong ! you must to pay correct amount and definetly i am sure you find many providers to be true.

Thanked by 1netomx
    • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

majority providers will do oversell the openvz as based on price provider need to oversell in order to get some profit.

• I've been able to fully max out the resources on my OVH VPS Cloud 3 (Ordered in 2015) and have been able to use all it's resources with no issues. They aren't cheap though, $30-$40

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

No.

Thanked by 3yomero AuroraZ Fries