Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another hostsolutions.ro review.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yet another hostsolutions.ro review.

I purchased a couple of 1Tb storage boxes from this hostsolutions.ro during the easter sales. As it was mentioned as "preorder", the price is incredibly low and there were multiple promises about network upgrades and fixing performance issues i was very patient, but almost a mounth have passed since the date of purchase so here are my thoughts so far:

• "+" Low price
  • "-" Old kernel, only old OS templates available.
  • "-" Openvz, with all its regular drawbacks, and with very inconvinient default configuration. Even to use firewall properly you have to create support tickets. Also simfs is used.
  • "-" At best mediocre network performance, even after all the upgrades mentioned. Never got more than ~50-70mbit, and i tried from few different locations/servers both in US and in europe.
  • "-" Very, very low storage performance. Low to the point when reading / directory listing may take minutes. This may also affect my expirience with network speed as i did not try writing to /dev/null.

I tried to use this boxes for backups, uploading daily ~500M archives and weekly ~20Gb ones. This did not work at all. Uploading 500M often takes few hours, and uploading 20Gb usually fails since the script doing it assumes that it will be complete before next execution, which does not happen.

Then i tried using them to store things which do not change that often so that low performance is less of an issue, but it failed too, because it is literally impossible to upload ~100-200Gb pieces, upload was going for ~3 days and then the node was rebooted. Also with such speed i fear that if i need something stored there i will spend month trying to download it, which is unacceptable for me.

One more interesting thing i noticed - deleting files is incredibly slow and it seems like it causes issues for whole node. As both of my VM-s are on the same node i can clearly see it. Deleting ~20Gb file takes few minutes, and during this time both VM-s become completely unresponsive (and by unresponsive i mean that i cannot even get directory listing or process list).

Overall i'd say this boxes turnend out completely useless to me, i suppose that running seedbox will work to a certain degree, but i do not need that.

What made me post this? Today i got another message about failed backup, logged in to one of VM-s, and i am seeing this:

[root@vps8 ~]# time df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs      1.0T   21G 1004G   3% /
none            512M  4.0K  512M   1% /dev
none            512M     0  512M   0% /dev/shm

real    0m26.923s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.009s
[root@vps8 ~]# time ls
list

real    1m29.420s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.015s

At this point i am done with trying to use this VM-s, because i need working and reasonably fast backups, and here i cannot be sure that even if it is uploaded i can download it later in reasonable time if i need. Definitely not going to renew this ones, will just let them idle&expire, and would not advice buying them to anyone, just not worth the time, even with incredibly low price.

Comments

• jcalebjcaleb Member

How long have you paid? Maybe wait a week more and try. Perhaps people are currently running too many benchmarks ?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Could you elaborate with more measurable benchmark?

For example using this command:
    wget --no-check-certificate https://vhwinfo.com/vhwinfo.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

Then continue with this command:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm -rf sb-io-test

And the last with this command:
    wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

I > @jcaleb said:

How long have you paid? Maybe wait a week more and try. Perhaps people are currently running too many benchmarks ?

Semi-Annually. However the date of purchase is 18/04/2017, i've done "wait few days and try again" multiple times now... i will probably try some time later, but TBH i do not expect much at this point.

@chocolateshirt said:
    Could you elaborate with more measurable benchmark?

For example using this command:
    wget --no-check-certificate https://vhwinfo.com/vhwinfo.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

Then continue with this command:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=sb-io-test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync; rm -rf sb-io-test

And the last with this command:
    wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash

I would have done it, but it's a little hard to do when it takes 1.5 minutes just to get listing of home directory with single file. I'll wait some time and when/if it will be less laggy i will do some tests.

Thanked by 2jcaleb Jinx
  • That 90 second ls : I smell seedboxers nearby.

• You could use screen command so you can leave & resume it anytime

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member

@chocolateshirt said:
    You could use screen command so you can leave & resume it anytime

Sure i can, but what's the point? It is completely broken now, like... here is ioping:

[root@vps8 ~]# ioping /
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=1 time=2.58 s (warmup)
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=2 time=2.86 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=3 time=1.65 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=4 time=993.4 ms
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=5 time=130.6 ms
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=6 time=97.6 ms
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=7 time=2.11 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=8 time=2.48 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=9 time=92.4 ms (fast)
    ^C4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=10 time=28.9 ms (fast)

--- / (simfs /dev/simfs) ioping statistics ---
    9 requests completed in 10.4 s, 36 KiB read, 0 iops, 3.45 KiB/s
    generated 10 requests in 15.7 s, 40 KiB, 0 iops, 2.54 KiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 28.9 ms / 1.16 s / 2.86 s / 1.08 s

That disk write test will take a week and will contribute even more to the situation...

• I think this crazy storage deal should have been in the form of FTP credentials. Better for all.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited May 2017

If @cociu was a mod this thread would be gone

• @Gamma17 said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    You could use screen command so you can leave & resume it anytime

Sure i can, but what's the point? It is completely broken now, like... here is ioping:

[root@vps8 ~]# ioping /
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=1 time=2.58 s (warmup)
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=2 time=2.86 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=3 time=1.65 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=4 time=993.4 ms
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=5 time=130.6 ms
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=6 time=97.6 ms
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=7 time=2.11 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=8 time=2.48 s
    4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=9 time=92.4 ms (fast)
    ^C4 KiB <<< / (simfs /dev/simfs): request=10 time=28.9 ms (fast)

--- / (simfs /dev/simfs) ioping statistics ---
    9 requests completed in 10.4 s, 36 KiB read, 0 iops, 3.45 KiB/s
    generated 10 requests in 15.7 s, 40 KiB, 0 iops, 2.54 KiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 28.9 ms / 1.16 s / 2.86 s / 1.08 s

That disk write test will take a week and will contribute even more to the situation...

I think you need proper benchmark for disk and network, because you said the network is slow and you unable to upload 500MB and 20GB. So you need to display proper benchmark for disk and network. It will be good if you restart the VPS before doing any benchmark

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

@chocolateshirt said:
    I think you need proper benchmark for disk and network, because you said the network is slow and you unable to upload 500MB and 20GB. So you need to display proper benchmark for disk and network. It will be good if you restart the VPS before doing any benchmark

What benchmark for disk do you even mean? Is not ioping enough here? Or you do not understand what those numbers mean? Any attempt to do anything with this storage is pointless at this point.

As for network - i will do benchmark, as i said, when the server will become responsive enough. Right now trying to work with it is a waste of time.

• I think providers could do some ramp-up with throttled IOPS. 10 iops on day 1, 20 on day 7, 100 on day 30. (especially with the too-good storage deals. time4vps has iops throttling for a good reason)

That way everyone gets to upload files at least without thrashing the disk.

Thanked by 1Gamma17
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Gamma17 said: Semi-Annually. However the date of purchase is 18/04/2017, i've done "wait few days and try again" multiple times now... i will probably try some time later, but TBH i do not expect much at this point.

Any info from support? Maybe they can improve it for you?

Thanked by 1Gamma17
  • Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

@vimalware said:
    I think providers could do some ramp-up with throttled IOPS. 10 iops on day 1, 20 on day 7, 100 on day 30. (especially with the too-good storage deals. time4vps has iops throttling for a good reason)

That way everyone gets to upload files at least without thrashing the disk.

Yes, for storage offers iops limits make a lot of sense. I have a couple of time4vps machines too, and even with the latest changes they work reasonably good. Also for pure storage i do not see any advantage of openvz VM compared to just sftp/scp account, which will be much safer and seedbox-free.

But in this case we had "seedboxes allowed" specifically mentioned, so this issues probably were to be expected...

@jcaleb said:
    Any info from support? Maybe they can improve it for you?

To be honest i am not a big fan of trying to discuss performance issues with vps providers, it is usually pointless. Still in this case they promise that performance will improve "soon".

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • cociucociu Member
    edited May 2017

did you ope an tiket about this ? First is not our quality , you can ask to any users if is perform the same . I can asigurate this is not what i sell. Maybe is something wrong there. Is true if you have opened a tiket in the last days we have not respond verry fast due of some internal problems with our autoprovisioning module. But any way please open a tiket , we will take a look and take action too . What you have posted here is a shit no a vps.

• bsdguybsdguy Member

Sorry if that sounds brutal, but what did you expect from an ultracheap offer that, to make it worse, was openvz based?

What I can tell you from plenty experience with hostsolutions is that @cociu is no scammer or trickster.

My take is that it's an unlucky mix of factors: way too many orders in too short a time (I remember thinking "Oh god, cociu, how can even a provider with some employees handle that motherload of orders?), the usual bunch of abuser assholes and openvz.

It's not that easy to properly deal with abusers. You see, someone complaining about poor performance and indeed finding users X and Y using very many resources does not necessarily mean they are abusers. It can also mean they are users who just install their stuff or who do a benchmark or are doing something stupid but not evil. So, as a good provider you must first observe a while and play some Sherlock Holmes, then you talk with them and give them a warning shot, maybe relocate some VPS so as to redistribute load better, etc.

Another problem I see is that probably right now their ticket load is very high and they have a hard time coping.

But again, maybe it wasn't smart from cociu to take on so many orders but I can tell you clearly that it's not some scam from cociu. Try to get through with a ticket and they'll take care of it.

And the next time, take at least a KVM. openvz is shitty and a troubleticket generator.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Gamma17 said: Or you do not understand what those numbers mean?

I'm quite sure that's the case.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Gamma17 said: To be honest i am not a big fan of trying to discuss performance issues with vps providers, it is usually pointless. Still in this case they promise that performance will improve "soon".

I feel you bro

• @Gamma17 said:

@chocolateshirt said:

What benchmark for disk do you even mean? Is not ioping enough here? Or you do not understand what those numbers mean? Any attempt to do anything with this storage is pointless at this point.

As for network - i will do benchmark, as i said, when the server will become responsive enough. Right now trying to work with it is a waste of time.

Yes.. Like I said you need to bench the network & disk.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

@bsdguy said:
    Sorry if that sounds brutal, but what did you expect from an ultracheap offer that, to make it worse, was openvz based?

What I can tell you from plenty experience with hostsolutions is that @cociu is no scammer or trickster.

My take is that it's an unlucky mix of factors: way too many orders in too short a time (I remember thinking "Oh god, cociu, how can even a provider with some employees handle that motherload of orders?), the usual bunch of abuser assholes and openvz.

It's not that easy to properly deal with abusers. You see, someone complaining about poor performance and indeed finding users X and Y using very many resources does not necessarily mean they are abusers. It can also mean they are users who just install their stuff or who do a benchmark or are doing something stupid but not evil. So, as a good provider you must first observe a while and play some Sherlock Holmes, then you talk with them and give them a warning shot, maybe relocate some VPS so as to redistribute load better, etc.

Another problem I see is that probably right now their ticket load is very high and they have a hard time coping.

But again, maybe it wasn't smart from cociu to take on so many orders but I can tell you clearly that it's not some scam from cociu. Try to get through with a ticket and they'll take care of it.

And the next time, take at least a KVM. openvz is shitty and a troubleticket generator.

Well, i expected it to work. I had no illusions about it, i did not expect it to be very fast or very good, i just expected that it will be possible to use to store some data.
    I am not even upset or saying that it is "scam". I just reported my observations here.
    And yes, i understand that there are issues with abusers, openvz limitatios and such, i just expect provider to deal with them somehow to provide reasonable level of performance. Also i think i waited long enough for things to settle...

@cociu said:
    did you ope an tiket about this ? First is not our quality , you can ask to any users if is perform the same . I can asigurate this is not what i sell. Maybe is something wrong there. Is true if you have opened a tiket in the last days we have not respond verry fast due of some internal problems with our autoprovisioning module. But any way please open a tiket , we will take a look and take action too . What you have posted here is a shit no a vps.

Ok, i will open a ticket right now.
    I can also say that this is on vel6 node since i've seen error about "cannot connect too..." in client area before, when the node was rebooted.

Thanked by 2Falzo ucxo
  • bsdguybsdguy Member

Gamma17

I can tell you from experience that hostsolutions answers to tickets and tries to resolv problems.

To be frank, my guess is that cociu wanted to be friendly to everyone and disappoint nobody and such took on more orders than he can digest in short time.

Not the news you'd like, I understand that, but probably there isn't much more than opening a ticket and waiting some more ...

• cociucociu Member

Gamma17 said: Ok, i will open a ticket right now

so you have not opened a tiket ....tipical.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member

@cociu said:

I opened tickets for other reasons, as for complaining about performance, as i already said, i consider it pointless. It may be stupid, but it is just how it works for me. The only reason i posted it here is that it seemed like a good thing to do, to let others know about the issues they may face buying this vm-s.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @cociu I have not my storage box but I don't need to request for it since I know you do deliver, otherwise how could I have 5 boxes with you? :)
    Guys : be patient this was not something he said he expected to be as successful as it was. I think he is handling stuff in a very good way .
    Add some fat pipes so everyone can bench,put nvme ( also to make people show nice numbers), solve the auto provisioning ( yeah must be simple or maybe you are not in the mood to enable it), monitor 1500 vms ( hire some monkeys from the zoo) and kill abusers and that's it. You see? Simple.

• cociucociu Member
    edited May 2017

Gamma17 said: I opened tickets for other reasons, as for complaining about performance, as i already said, i consider it pointless. It may be stupid, but it is just how it works for me. The only reason i posted it here is that it seemed like a good thing to do, to let others know about the issues they may face buying this vm-s.

give me your tiket number regarding this please. Instead lost time with 9999 line in review here at lease please allow from your time 15 second to open a tiket. If we dont find a good solution in resolve this i am agree with this review bunt until this step i can confirm you are not so correct. At least never see this results in my services , this not meen you have fake or something but i have right now more than 480 nodes only in vps and i hope you understand you are part of this and definetly is not so easy to monitor this when we have faced big issues in the last days and i have anuncitate this in another thread. Now all this issues is resolved so yes we have time to monitor more what happened in the nodes. About network speed also is verry strange what you write here because we just make huge upgrades, can be a fixed location or something but definetly not in all poor quality, maybe in your other location , dont know i still not have a tiket regarding this.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Gamma17 said:

@cociu said:

I opened tickets for other reasons, as for complaining about performance, as i already said, i consider it pointless. It may be stupid, but it is just how it works for me.

You may consider it pointless, but in the interests of posting a fair and balanced review, you really should have done so in this case - it's not really fair to slate a provider when you've given them no chance to resolve the problem.

• wwabbitwwabbit Member

You got unlucky and were placed on that crap node cociu have mentioned about before on another thread. Most of us got onto perfectly normal nodes, I don't see any of the problems you have described on my 1TB.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • cociucociu Member

wwabbit said: You got unlucky and were placed on that crap node cociu have mentioned about before on another thread. Most of us got onto perfectly normal nodes, I don't see any of the problems you have described on my 1TB.

what is verry upset here he first open threads in forum but is not molestiong to open a tiket. I do not negate , maybe have problem or eaven the node but if we dont know about issue how to resolve ? I have just make some test in vel6 and for the moment seems to be ok. But eaven i cannot locate his vps , and i will not stay to test every vps from this node.

• lurchlurch Member

@Gamma17 said:

• "-" At best mediocre network performance, even after all the upgrades mentioned. Never got more than ~50-70mbit, and i tried from few different locations/servers both in US and in europe.

Medicore? I get single digits on my none storage vps I'd be well happy with 50+

• cociucociu Member

@Gamma17 still wait your tiket number and is past more than 2 hours from my first comment here. I hope you understand we cannot work if we dont know wich of our customer you are because with a nick name from LET i will not locate your vps ...

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

@cociu said:
    what is verry upset here he first open threads in forum but is not molestiong to open a tiket. I do not negate , maybe have problem or eaven the node but if we dont know about issue how to resolve ? I have just make some test in vel6 and for the moment seems to be ok. But eaven i cannot locate his vps , and i will not stay to test every vps from this node.

Ticket Created #875378

Also yes, my nickname here has nothing to do with my real name, email address and my username on hostsolutions.ro, and i would really like for it to remain this way.