Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advise
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need advise

graphicgraphic Member
edited May 2017 in Providers

Hello LET,

i need your advise.

I need a dedicated server for my plex media library.

Here some servers:
Opteron 4386, 32gb ram, 2x3tb HDD, 48 euros (SoYouStart)

I7 3770, 16gb ram, 2x3tb HDD, 31 euros (serverboerse.de / Hetzner)

I7 6700k, 32gb ram, 2x4tb HDD, 46 euros + 94 euros setup (Hetzner)

Advantage of SoYouStart, 16 ip's with no monthly costs and backup space.
I7 3770 cheap but only 16gb ram.

What would you prefer?

Comments

• I would go with the SYS i7 (unmetered bandwidth and no setup fee) or second choice the Hetzner. Definitely not the Operon.

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I would grab the SYS

• Yay! My first post. Hope I can be helpful.

If you have Plex pass, I would go with the hetzner server. Currently, there is a pre release version or plex (download is in the Plex forums) that allows for hardware transcoding. The Intel gpu in the 6th gen i7 handles the transcodes like nothing! I have an e3-1245v5 server from online.net that has a similar gpu and the CPU usage goes up like 4% when hardware transcoding as opposed to ~40% when using cpu alone.

Definitely worth considering if your media will need transcoding.

• graphicgraphic Member

@homerfan said:
    Yay! My first post. Hope I can be helpful.

If you have Plex pass, I would go with the hetzner server. Currently, there is a pre release version or plex (download is in the Plex forums) that allows for hardware transcoding. The Intel gpu in the 6th gen i7 handles the transcodes like nothing! I have an e3-1245v5 server from online.net that has a similar gpu and the CPU usage goes up like 4% when hardware transcoding as opposed to ~40% when using cpu alone.

There's one problem, Hetzner's blocking graphic drivers by default.
    i7 or 1245 (not from Hetzner) with at least 2x3tb hdd would be nice.

• @graphic said:

@homerfan said:

A couple of weeks ago, I was also using a 1245v2 box from the hetzner auctions and was able to load the graphics drivers by changing the grub configuration using these instructions and then installing the drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/57uq5e/hardware_video_encoding_on_hetzner_server_with/

The transcoding performance from the more recent generation gpu's is way better however.

I have not tried editing the grub configuration on the I7 6700 model though. But my guess would be that it is the same process.

• graphicgraphic Member

@homerfan said:

@graphic said:

@homerfan said:

A couple of weeks ago, I was also using a 1245v2 box from the hetzner auctions and was able to load the graphics drivers by changing the grub configuration using these instructions and then installing the drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/57uq5e/hardware_video_encoding_on_hetzner_server_with/

The transcoding performance from the more recent generation gpu's is way better however.

I have not tried editing the grub configuration on the I7 6700 model though. But my guess would be that it is the same process.

Okay, thank you!
    Then i'll try the 6700 model from Hetzner. This specs are unbeatable.