Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Howto] Install Windows On Your OVH VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Howto] Install Windows On Your OVH VPS

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited April 2017 in Tutorials

So you want to install Windows on your OVH VPS? Thats possible! I created some cool templates that have been tested and confirmed working on these OVH VPS servers. It even works on the cheapest VPS plan OVH offers, the one with just 10GB disk space, isn't that awesome? Just follow this tutorial and we will have a working Windows installation on your OVH VPS within an hour.

The first thing well have to do is to reboot your VPS in rescue mode. Login at the OVH control panel, choose your VPS and click on the button that says "Reboot my VPS" (you can find that button on the right of the page).

You will see this popup once clicked:

Make sure to have the "Reboot in rescue mode" box selected.

It can take between 2 and 10 minutes before the VPS is booted into rescue mode.
Once your VPS has been booted into the rescue mode you will need to login using PuTTy (any SSH program will do, I like to use PuTTy). You can find the rescue login details in the email that OVH has sent you.

Once you have logged in you will need to unmount the disk by using the following command:

umount /mnt/sdb1

Now we are ready to install Windows on the VPS.

Choose one of the Windows versions, copy the command in the box and paste it in the PuTTy/SSH screen, press enter and it will begin downloading and extracting the template to the disk of your VPS. This can take some time, so grab yourself some coffee, watch a movie or take a walk with your dog (if you have one).

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard:

wget -O- 'http://mirror.uneven.eu/vps/WS_2012R2_OVH_VPS.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sdb

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard:

wget -O- 'http://mirror.uneven.eu/vps/WS_2008_R2_OVH_VPS.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sdb

Windows 10 Pro:

wget -O- 'http://mirror.uneven.eu/vps/W10_Pro_OVH_VPS.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sdb

Windows 7 Professional:

wget -O- 'http://mirror.uneven.eu/vps/W7_Pro_OVH_VPS.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sdb

Once the download is done, reboot the VPS again and it should have Windows installed and working when it comes back online.

You can login with the following credentials (make sure to change the password after you logged in):

For Windows Server 2008 R2 & 2012 R2:

Username: Administrator
Password: Password147

For Windows 7 Professional & Windows 10 Pro:

Username: Admin
Password: Password147

Original post: https://uneven.eu/howto-install-windows-on-your-ovh-vps/

Comments

• Nice tip and tutorial for newbies.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@SakamHost said:
    Nice tip and tutorial for newbies. I'm only posting this to inflate my post count.

Fixxed.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2017

I'm only posting this to inflate my post count.

The irony is that one of his 5 shitty comments, this one, is about praising pirated software - and he is (dear god) a "provider" himself!

The others? Hold and laugh:

First time i heard about this service. (topic: Plivo forgot to renew domain plivo.com)
    Open ticket and offcourse they should do refund if you respect their policy. (topic: Does Vultr do a refund ?).
    Why they are not working? (topic: in .store domains not working??) (EPIC)

And the Legen - wait for it - dary:

I like the rules but 14 days to wait just to make an ads is bad idea.
    This posted in topic "Rules for selling on LowEndTalk"!

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@BlazeMuis Could you create a Windows 10 template as well?

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited April 2017

@brueggus said:
    @BlazeMuis Could you create a Windows 10 template as well?

I'm working on it :) Should be done soon.

Edit: Done :)

Windows 10 Pro:

wget -O- 'http://mirror.uneven.eu/vps/W10_Pro_OVH_VPS.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sdb
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

Does not work for my testing. results in a failed boot to windows recovery however my old templates with VIRTIO work fine. did you forget to add virtio drivers?

• @TarZZ92 said:
    Does not work for my testing. results in a failed boot to windows recovery however my old templates with VIRTIO work fine. did you forget to add virtio drivers?

Strange, I tested them all on SSD VPS 1.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

BlazeMuis said: Strange, I tested them all on SSD VPS 1.

i am using VPS SSD 3 and all failed for some reason. carnt seem to find the cause but the recovery console says something about unable to find recovery partition.

• dnwkdnwk Member

Is it because missing VirtIO?

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2017

@TarZZ92 said:

i am using VPS SSD 3 and all failed for some reason. carnt seem to find the cause but the recovery console says something about unable to find recovery partition.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/112692/updated-windows-on-ovh-vps-ssd#latest

Maybe this?

For those of you that have the newer VPSs that use the sdb instead of VDB joodle beat me to it for making templates for those https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/112860/howto-install-windows-on-your-ovh-vps#latest

You need VDB from the other thread?

• dnwkdnwk Member

I have same problem

@TarZZ92 said:

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

do lsblk while booted into rescue mode, and post back here with the results.

Does your lsblk say vdb or sdb?

• If the install doesn't work @ OVH VPS, check the link in my signature. Windows eval is allowed and can be installed via VNC/ISO.

• Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited May 2017

A little bit OT, as nt completely related with OVH VPS, but with Hetzner: the primary partition (where the C: partition reside) is MBR, thus limiting partitions on a disk to be a total of 2TB. But Hetzner offers 2 disk each 3TB. I have around 760 GB lost because of this.

Do you think it is possible to create a template with that fix?

• @Issam2204 said:
    A little bit OT, as nt completely related with OVH VPS, but with Hetzner: the primary partition (where the C: partition reside) is MBR, thus limiting partitions on a disk to be a total of 2TB. But Hetzner offers 2 disk each 3TB. I have around 760 GB lost because of this.

Yeah you could dd over a GPT disk image, or at least I think you can do that with dd, I may be wrong though

• teamaccteamacc Member

@Issam2204 said:

GPT requires UEFI boot, which should be enabled in the bios. You could possibly access that by asking hetzner for a LARA

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

dnwk said: Is it because missing VirtIO?

am willing to bet that is the issue here. unless it's compressed bad because my templates seem to work fine (all uncompressed and virtio) so unable to confirm.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited May 2017

Ok. I figure out you need VirtIO-SCSI to be able to run it at OVH VPS. I create one myself using Proxmox and loaded up all those VirtIO drivers. It works.
    I create my template based on this tutorials
    https://joodle.nl/how-to-create-your-own-windows-template-for-kimsufi/

You don't have to do everything it says you need to do. But basically, install a server and use DD to create the package.

Thanked by 1xanimewolf
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

thought it was virtio related..

• rowboatrowboat Member

@TarZZ92 said:

Hello there. I am having the same issue here even after 2 attempts. Would you care to share a working template?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2017

rowboat said: Hello there. I am having the same issue here even after 2 attempts. Would you care to share a working template?

i cannot share it however i will install it for you if you wish?

PM me if you interested.

• WHTWHT Member

Not working for me also. Tried the Win 10 and Win 7. @TarZZ92 can you please share the template?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

no sorry it's for my internal purposes only however i can install it for you via rescue system (need ssh details) just PM me

• WHTWHT Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    no sorry it's for my internal purposes only however i can install it for you via rescue system (need ssh details) just PM me

Just post me the template url to wget it and then rename it. Dont be a di...

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

WHT said: Just post me the template url to wget it and then rename it. Dont be a di...

Nope sorry.

• rowboatrowboat Member

@BlazeMuis sorry but could you possibly see what's the problem with your template? It launches the OS into recovery mode, I tried both WS 2008 and 2012. And it seems like I'm not the only one having this issue.

Thank you very much!

• WHTWHT Member

@TarZZ92 said:

WHT said: Just post me the template url to wget it and then rename it. Dont be a di...

Nope sorry.

flaged

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred

This might be a stupid question and forgive me if it is, but do you need a license key for these for work?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

WHT said: flaged

flaged

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

AuroraZ said: but do you need a license key for these for work?

Yes.