Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time4VPS - Free bandwidth upgrade and other changes - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time4VPS - Free bandwidth upgrade and other changes

Comments

• Sometimes i can not understand this community. In the hosting industry are a lot companies who wont give a shit about the demands of their costumers. I think time4vps is a stable company, which tries to improve the service for all customers at a really low price point. Men, some folks would say its unsustainable. They constantly try to get better, i know here are some people who thought they will never have ipv6, me neither to be honest but, bam, there it is!
    Be happy for a great product, which, yes isnt appropriate for all usecases, but for that price quality is more than enough.

• @faulwurf said:
    Sometimes i can not understand this community

Did you join today?

Thanked by 2vimalware nulldev
  • @doughnet said:
    Existing customers that prepaid for two years should be able to cancel with refund for remaining months. I consider these changes to be bait and switch which is illegal.

Sounds like they oversold maybe and are fixing their poor business decisions.

I tend to agree here. Changing the terms of an agreement mid-stream doesn't seem right. Just ~30 days ago I pre-paid for a year's service of the 1TB Storage Server, and now Port speed is now cut by 75% from 400Mbps to 100Mbps. While I only went above the 100 Mbps mark for just a few days over the last month of service, seems like a no notice change is not nice.

• @deadbeef said:

Yeah i forgot, lets cry about everything :)

• faulwurf said: tries to improve the service for all customers

In what language is decreasing port speed from 400mbit to 100mbit called an improvement?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@willie said:

faulwurf said: tries to improve the service for all customers

In what language is decreasing port speed from 400mbit to 100mbit called an improvement?

Depends on which side, for Time4VPS it is, since they have less load on there Network.

For the Costumer? No and it seems like they do not really care.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

faulwurf said: tries to improve the service for all customers

In the language where there are a few users who are beating the shit out of the interface and costing the provider not only an expense, but slowing other users?

If that isn't the case, however, they're finding a way to restrict user loads. I almost laughed that someone bitched that it'd take 24 hours to load a TB of data. Well, do one big backup, then do incremental?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • XenosXenos Member

cos·tum·er
    ˈkästyo͞omər,käsˈtyo͞omər/
    noun
    a person or company that makes or supplies theatrical or fancy-dress costumes.

• faulwurffaulwurf Member
    edited April 2017

Lower port speed in exchange for more bandwidth, iops and ipv6. I can live with that but I get your point here. There should be a option for long term contracts to cancel with a prorated refund.

Thanked by 2vimalware WSS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

time4vps said: Increase bandwidth limit (up to 40 TB for some plans);

Why don't you just make it 40 petabytes? Because regardless if it's 40TB or 40PB, no one's going to push that in a month on 100mbit.

time4vps seems to be declining from shady to scammy...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said:

Why don't you just make it 40 petabytes? Because regardless if it's 40TB or 40PB, no one's going to push that in a month on 100mbit.

To be fair it's 30TB in each direction ;)

Francisco

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @Francisco said:

@raindog308 said:

To be fair it's 30TB in each direction ;)

Francisco

Also, the larger plans have higher limits.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • QoS hehe

• @raindog308 said:

Whilst it doesn't detract from the fact they changed this without warning customers in long term contracts, the 40TB (+ other higher) bandwidth limits are on the plans on upwards of 100Mbps port speed (40TB is on 400Mbps port on 4TB storage plans & the top KVM plan), so it is possible for that amount of bandwidth to be obtained.

None the less, this has kind of made me glad I chose not to go into a long contract with Time4VPS - while this change may not be the end of the world for everyone, that fact they can change something like this mid-contract with no warning would lead me to question what else they'd be able to change in the future.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Junkless said: Also, the larger plans have higher limits.

Ah, you're right...though you have to get into the ordering system to see that.

OK, not a scam. Just a marketing fail.

• WSS said: In the language where there are a few users who are beating the shit out of the interface and costing the provider not only an expense, but slowing other users?

Why is this a problem under the old bw caps? I think the 1TB plan had 4TB(?) cap? So if you could really send 400mbit through it, you'd exhaust your allowance in about 24 hours. And what is "the" interface? A DC with that much gear hopefully has multiple 10gbit or faster pipes.

• matthewkilpatrick said: None the less, this has kind of made me glad I chose not to go into a long contract with Time4VPS - while this change may not be the end of the world for everyone, that fact they can change something like this mid-contract with no warning would lead me to question what else they'd be able to change in the future.

doughnet said: Existing customers that prepaid for two years should be able to cancel with refund for remaining months. I consider these changes to be bait and switch which is illegal.

Technically they have invalidated your contract if you have a previously agreed to long-term contract and you should have the right to request a refund and if they refuse you, you should be able to win a charge back because they changed an existing contract without seeking the customers permission to do so. This is by no means legal.

As per the changes in general, I am sure it will end up in a much less bumpy experience as it seems they are pulling things more in line with reality. They likely were having issues with noisy neighbors and customers complaining they couldn't get their full speed because you had only a few user saturating the port constantly. With the changes they made it seems it will be a bit more fair going forward.

@time4vps I hope you consulted a Lawyer before making these changes, ohh that's right, if you had they would have told you what your doing isn't legal...

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said: In the language where there are a few users who are beating the shit out of the interface and costing the provider not only an expense, but slowing other users?

Why is this a problem under the old bw caps? I think the 1TB plan had 4TB(?) cap? So if you could really send 400mbit through it, you'd exhaust your allowance in about 24 hours. And what is "the" interface? A DC with that much gear hopefully has multiple 10gbit or faster pipes.

You're talking to a guy who can literally live on a flash drive. My assertion (and edumicated guess) is that there were a few people using the backup/storage plan and hammering it constantly- to the point where it was causing the provider to lose enough money that it made no sense to allow this to continue- thus, setting the bandwidth per virtual interface.

I have no idea what percentile they're on, but my guess is that it peaked high enough that they got a few nasty stings in their bills.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • WSS said: hammering it constantly

What does that mean? Using too much bandwidth? If yes, they made that problem worse by increasing the caps. Using too much port speed? That makes no sense, there's an overall transfer quota per user. Using too much iops? This is possible but that's not a really proper use of a storage server.

I think it's really true that some users did want more bandwidth for their torrents or whatever, and now they've been accomodated at the expense of those who wanted to use their storage as storage.

• @raindog308 said:

Junkless said: Also, the larger plans have higher limits.

Ah, you're right...though you have to get into the ordering system to see that.

Look again at the second half of the OP. The higher limits are mentioned right there.

• WSS said: percentile

Percentile? They own a data center, do you think they're on percentile plans?

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

WSS said: percentile

Percentile? They own a data center, do you think they're on percentile plans?

"Oh."

Then they're shitheads.

• ScammerProutScammerProut Member
    edited April 2017

All I can say is bad business man just bad. Long term customers should at least have some sort of say so in the matter at hand but that's not my business.

• I posted in the easter thread (or maybe cest pit) yesterday asking for more non-vps storage plans (i.e. scp/sftp-only). This is why.

• This is the second or third time they have made changes that could negatively impact someone using them as a backup provider when it comes time for recovery.

I am not going to re-hash that as you can find the thread I created for that.

But they are the cheapest per TB provider out there as far as I know and other than the recent Easter special there isn't a lot of competition. The best competition I have been able to find is the sub 50 euro Hetzner 4x4TB auction servers.

I have no plans to renew my 10 storage servers with them when they come up. I have moved on to Hetzner services and using encrypted Gsuite. I restored 6TB from Gsuite over the last week without any issues.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Not happy with this... Again. And I got close to 15 servers with them.

• Hadriel said:

But they are the cheapest per TB provider out there as far as I know

Hetzner Storagebox 10TB = 40 euro/month

Online C14 and OVH Cloud Archive = 2 euro/TB/month but there are bandwidth fees in and out. Ok for long term quiescent storage

Delimiter (who?) slot hosting with WD 8TB HD on Best Buy sale ($180), spread over 36 months: US$ 2.06/TiB/month

ZXHost KVM Ceph: no longer available but was for months, $2.72/TB/mo on 3 year plan

SpeedyKVM Stor60 KVM w/30% coupon (now expired), $2.67/TiB/mo on 3 year plan

Digicube FTP backup space, 5000GB = US$3.91/mo, 10000GB=US$3.18/TiB/mo. 10000GB available only with large servers, 5000 with all of them.

Time4vps's old pricing was unbeatable. It's still competitive but there are others out there.

• I guess if customers are unhappy with the changes they can cancel their contracts early.

Anyone wanna get rid of one of the old 512GB plans? :)

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

willie said: SpeedyKVM Stor60 KVM w/30% coupon (now expired), $2.67/TiB/mo on 3 year plan

The original code just for this plan did not expire :) LETStorage30

Thanked by 3willie Falzo deadbeef
  • That is a pretty tasty deal on storage. Is it possible to combine multiples into one volume or is 2TB max?