Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need cheap storage VPS for disk recovery
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need cheap storage VPS for disk recovery

pcfreak30pcfreak30 Member
edited April 2017 in Requests

Looking for the following:

• 2 TB storage
  • 5 TB bandwidth
  • 1-2 core CPU, quality doesn't matter much. If possible to burst the CPU to make the decryption go faster, all the better.
  • Preferred location is USA.

Been trying to use AWS and has not gone as I wanted, and burned $10 or so on it.

Use case is I have a recently failed USB hdd that I took out of its enclosure (USB port broke off). Turns out WD used an encryption chip on it. So I have fiber internet and a very fast upload speed. I need to dump the disk image over NFS or another type of network mount, decrypt over SSH in a screen, verify the data then write it back to the disk.

I don't plan on using it more than a week as I hope I can get this on-time task done fast. If anyone is willing to help me out with an offer to assist with this unique situation I would appreciate it. I don't have any spare hardware to do it locally and getting it would be the more expensive option of recovery.

The last time I dumped the image it registered at 932 GB so will need to be storing 2 copies and enough bandwidth to handle the work.

Thanks.

Comments

• Digital Ocean VPS with block storage, probably be $10 for 24hrs though.

• @hampered said:
    Digital Ocean VPS with block storage, probably be $10 for 24hrs though.

Because its ssd based. Not interested in storage quality or reliability.

• @hampered said:
    Digital Ocean VPS with block storage, probably be $10 for 24hrs though.

$50/week for storage alone.

@cociu willing to help?

• Actually is this an Option?

Lots of resources for a week https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/one-week-rental.xml

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:
    Actually is this an Option?

Lots of resources for a week https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/one-week-rental.xml

Will keep in mind but looking for something lower cost given that is overkill on resources.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@pcfreak, use c14 from Online.net. if you can do the copy within 7 days its cents cost. Just delete the data before 7 days.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @pbgben said:
    @pcfreak, use c14 from Online.net. if you can do the copy within 7 days its cents cost. Just delete the data before 7 days.

Tried using c14 for a client and never could get it working.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited April 2017

Find someone who can reflow solder to the port, then just read it from the enclosure and save yourself a hell of a lot of time?

Edit: Insert smartass reply about running it through that website analyze tool you think is the apex and apogee of everything.

• Offer expired.

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

Get yourself a non-encrypting 2tb disk ($70 or so) and use that on a local system instead of uploading and downloading everything. You can always use another disk.

I'm missing part of this though: what are you going to do about the encryption? The key is in the stupid WD enclosure, if this is a Mybook Duo or maybe a related model. WSS's approach of fixing the connector is your best bet. You shouldn't need to mess around with SMT reflow. Just mangle a regular USB cable. Cut off the connector on the client end, solder the strands to the PCB pads, and them plug into your pc. This is a standard way to get the data off of busted USB pen drives and it usually isn't too hard.

If you really want that much temporary online disk space in the US, try mnx.io storage instances which are 1.5c/GB/month billed in hourly increments.

• @willie said:
    Get yourself a non-encrypting 2tb disk ($70 or so) and use that on a local system instead of uploading and downloading everything. You can always use another disk.

I'm missing part of this though: what are you going to do about the encryption? The key is in the stupid WD enclosure, if this is a Mybook Duo or maybe a related model. WSS's approach of fixing the connector is your best bet. You shouldn't need to mess around with SMT reflow. Just mangle a regular USB cable. Cut off the connector on the client end, solder the strands to the PCB pads, and them plug into your pc. This is a standard way to get the data off of busted USB pen drives and it usually isn't too hard.

If you really want that much temporary online disk space in the US, try mnx.io storage instances which are 1.5c/GB/month billed in hourly increments.

I have gotten a generous offer from a community member to help free. I have throw the chip away already before I realized the encryption thing. There is a program called reallymine at https://github.com/andlabs/reallymine that has reverse engineered the encryption and I have verified testdisk was able to read the partition table and some folders.

So right now I am just waiting. And I could get a new disk, but I am going the lowest cost route here. Have spent $22 on a usb sata docking station and ~$11 on AWS already. The data is not critical but I want it back.

Thanked by 1willie
  • pcfreak30 said: There is a program called reallymine at https://github.com/andlabs/reallymine that has reverse engineered the encryption and I have verified testdisk was able to read the partition table and some folders.

Oh great, I didn't realize that had been done. The encryption must not have been very serious.