Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NTT Performance - Particularly in Asia
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NTT Performance - Particularly in Asia

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Hello all.

Anyone know much about NTT's Asian network and how good the performance is?

Considering adding NTT to our mix in HK but don't have any real/personal experience with the quality of their bandwidth in the region.

@William, you seem to know all things Transit. Any thoughts?

My expectations for NTT are they will still have sub par routing to China (probably via USA), but what about the rest of Asia? Who are they comparable to? As good as Pacnet, PCCW, Telstra, HGC?

Would love to learn more about peoples experience with these guys.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Where do you want to get to using NTT ?

• NTT have average performance in Asia. If you are looking for latency quality, you may give up NTT. PCCW or Pacnet will better route. However, if you looking for stability, NTT is good option.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: Where do you want to get to using NTT ?

No where specific. Asia Region, is what I can say. PH, TW, SG, MY, ID, IN, etc....

I already have HE.net which is perfectly find for SG, JP and TW. And HGC for everything else, which is really quite good for all of Asia, including China. But they are considerably more expensive than NTT, and many orders of magnitude more expensive than HE.net.

Pacnet and PCCW are both similarly priced to HGC as far as I am aware, and I do not think there is a significant difference in performance, so I don't really need those.

How does NTT stack up against Telstra? Where in Asia does NTT perform well and poor?

• NTT in Asia is some of the best you can have. At least we use it in Japan from TW and SG.

Connectivity between JP, SG, HK and TW are all perfectly fine through HE.net though, which we already have and are considerably cheaper.

• HE.NET to Hong Kong often sucks at least for us in Taiwan. NTT is much better in our experience.

Nuntius said: HE.NET to Hong Kong often sucks at least for us in Taiwan,

Interesting. I suppose not all ISP/hosting provider peer with the same exchanges that HE.net connects to.

• from ID I don't know about NTT performance, do you have some IP to test?

Most SG provider use Equinix

• NTT is one of the tier 1, where they do not peer with small isp. And some local big ISP do not peer with NTT in their own country.

For e.g: NTT peer with singtel at HK; peer with pccw at Singapore. if you are from hongkong and would like to visit singtel, you will not experience any issue. But if traffic from singapore, you will experience the route to HK and back to singapore.

admsam said: But if traffic from singapore, you will experience the route to HK and back to singapore.

That's crazy. I suppose HK is quite good in that every major ISP and almost every hosting company peer with HKIX, resulting in pretty much total HK coverage. Surprised this is not the case in SG.

• its just example. They may have business agreement so that allow to peer within own country. I am not sure on this. without the business agreement, i am sure they wont peer in between within own country

• DaipuXDaipuX Member
    edited April 2017

This is the answer for a common case.

NTT generally has good performance. However, at night (on JST), performance is sometimes significantly reduced in some countries.

In my experience, PCCWG has shown the most consistent performance. (But it depends on the country and ISP. CASE BY CASE)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why would Tier 1 peer with non-tier 1 for free?
    Who is going to pay them for carrying the traffic back through half of the world ?

• randvegeta said: @William, you seem to know all things Transit. Any thoughts?

You could test (partly) via EDIS HK ( http://hk.edis.at ) - Singlehomed NTT via HKNET. Not premium blend but the medium one.

randvegeta said: My expectations for NTT are they will still have sub par routing to China (probably via USA), but what about the rest of Asia? Who are they comparable to? As good as Pacnet, PCCW, Telstra, HGC?

This is... about right. Forget China (yes, via US or at least Japan), Japan is excellent as is SG. Telstra is peered (or should be still? At one point Telstra bought NTT transit), PCCW is buying NTT transit (state 2014, not sure anymore). Taiwan works ok, you've heard the HE issues (especially at night) but mostly HE works and cheaper.

HGC not much idea, they change their network too often.

admsam said: NTT is one of the tier 1, where they do not peer with small isp. And some local big ISP do not peer with NTT in their own country.

He wants transit, not peering, and NTT DOES peer - however only in Japan.

Clouvider said: Why would Tier 1 peer with non-tier 1 for free?

Not sure where you get the idea from this is the target.

Thanked by 1netomx