Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rescuing my data from KiloServe demise
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rescuing my data from KiloServe demise

NeumannNeumann Member
edited October 2012 in General

Hello, new here, but I'm part of the customers currently getting fucked by KiloServe that is apparently going down. My Xen VPS has been down for several days and support has not touched my ticket for several days now. This is to be expected if I am to believe the other reports I have read on LET and WHT.

My VPS annoyingly contains important data that I trusted was safe through on-site backups and the reputation of the provider. I have learned my lesson so please don't school into how I should have made backups and not place too much trust on a LEB provider.

Does anyone knows a way to contact the KiloServe "crew"? Anyone knows what's going on? Any signs of life in the last weeks?

Comments

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited October 2012

Not 100% sure, but I've always assumed KiloServe is apart of iMountain who's owned by Inter Mountain Mortgage.

Contact details

Call them up and ask for their Internet division (iMountain)... From there, all I can recommend is praying :P

• That would be weird for a Mortgage company to own a webhost.

• Thanks. That is actually useful. I might call there. Just to see what happens.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited October 2012

@Neumann said: Thanks. That is actually useful. I might call there. Just to see what happens.

Let us know what happens.

@HC_Ro said: That would be weird for a Mortgage company to own a webhost.

I thought that was weird too, but that seems right.

The imountain datacenter is located at 1740 Gillette Rd Ste 100 Pomona, CA 91768. Turns out that is some ghetto hotel that was converted into some office spaces and Intermountain Mortgage and Coldwell banker work out of there it seems.

Here is the old motel they run out of:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here is the solar panels that power their datacenter LOL. No wonder they have so many frequent power outages.... highly doubt they have any form of backup power or any other redundancy at all.

Same as the pics used on their website, at the bottom of the page: http://imountain.com/web/solar-energy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Also, their is complaints of imountain hosting (previously iron mountain hosting) support being gone too (imountain hosting owns Kiloserve).

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1193474

So I guess you could try to contact imountain and see if you can get VPS support... Not sure if they will, because they seem to want to hide the fact that they own Kiloserve (ie: private whois, etc).

Thanked by 2Jeffrey vedran
  • This isn't the first time something like this has happened before with this provider.

• @telephone said: Not 100% sure, but I've always assumed KiloServe is apart of iMountain who's owned by Inter Mountain Mortgage.

From this old post from 2007, someone named "xpsave" posting KiloServe offers said they have their own data center. So I also think that KiloServe and the iMountain data center are one and the same.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=574231

Do you mean which Data Center? If yes, then we have our own Data Center with our own equipment in California. I posted pictures of the place in another thread if you want I'll go find them and link you to them.

I recently cancelled my VPS there after it became obvious support was gone.

@Neumann said: My Xen VPS has been down for several days and support has not touched my ticket for several days now.

Is there anything that was changed on the VPS before it went down? Can you log into the SolusVM control panel, and have you tried to access the serial console to see if you can get at it that way?

Thanked by 1Neumann
  • I will try all input channel to communicate with them to see if I get a sort of answer about what is going on. I'm honestly not that hopeful but I'm not going to lose the little hope I have expended all efforts I could do.

Is there anything that was changed on the VPS before it went down? Can you log into the SolusVM control panel, and have you tried to access the serial console to see if you can get at it that way?

Yeah! I screwed up and made it unbootable. I am willing to take part of responsibility for this situations but it's a 15 minutes fix for any competent support tech. The serial console doesn't work because the VPS never starts. So I'm stuck in the dark.

I would like to commend both the WHT and LET community for the answers I have received: I expected at least a bit of finger pointing for my situations but there was none so far! Thank you guys.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited October 2012

Just to confirm in case anyone has any lingering doubts about the connection between KiloServe, iMountain, Inter Mountain Mortgage...

A few old quotes:

"Kiloserve owns its data center and equipment and we have permanent staff 24/7 for support."

"We own the datacenter and equipment as well and we offer tier 1 bandwidth."
    "Kiloserve.com owns its equipment and datacenter and been around for 10 months."

And the kicker:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=536421&p=5524314#post5524314

We have our own datacenter and we own all equipment so you don't need to worry about not getting what you paid for. This is not a one-man operation. I am one of the three partners in this and we have staff who stay there 24/7 to provide support.

Our address is:
    1740 Gillette Road
    Pomona
    CA

Look familiar? ;)

• @telephone

There is no doubt about it now. imountain hosting (inter mountain mortgage) definitely owns Kiloserve.

Just wonder why they wanted to hide their whois information for Kiloserver.com...

• @NateN34 said: Just wonder why they wanted to hide their whois information for Kiloserver.com...

Just remembered one of the comments Kiloserve made on LEB before:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/kiloserve-36-50year-2-99-setup-365mb-xenopenvz-vps-in-los-angeles/#comment-49745

• UPDATE: I have reached Inter-Mountain Mortage and asked to be transferred to iMountain Hosting. Was transfered at a place whose name I could not understand except for the fact that its open 9 to 5. Will call back in a few minutes asking for the actual number.

I'm calling for eastern Canada and my only option for calling is using VOIP over my cell phone. Add to this complication the fact that my native language isn't english and that my spoken english is really not on par with my written english. This will make for difficult communication. I'd be grateful if anyone wants to call to get an explanation but I will keep trying until I can talk to someone.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I will do so if you like, if you can PM me the number and what you and what information you'd like to get.

• NeumannNeumann Member
    edited October 2012

Since my phone VOIP was really shit, I decided I had a good excuse to call using the office VOIP. The connection was much better and I was able to speak with a secretary/receptionist who was kind enough to take note of my email addresse and said she would forward it to somebody of the support staff.

She did not seem to be aware of KiloServe Hosting but I wasn't really surprised of that. If I get an answer from someone I'm pretty sure they'll be able to give me a bit more informations.

Thanks for the proposal Infinity but I think I still have managed to go as far as you could have gone. I'm just underconfident about my spoken english since it's really not so bad.

• For anybody trying to recover their Kiloserve/iMountain data, I noticed this post on WHT about a company that has access to the old iMountain data center and can assist in data recovery (for a fee).

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1241970

• statman24statman24 Member
    edited March 2013

David,

Any truth to what you posted? That link seems to be dead, and I'm thinking (possibly) it was because it might have been a false claim by someone.

• daviddavid Member

Yeah, I noticed the thread was deleted shortly after I posted the link. I'm not sure if the guy was legitimate or if it was a scam.

• @david said: Yeah, I noticed the thread was deleted shortly after I posted the link. I'm not sure if the guy was legitimate or if it was a scam.

That is a hell of an a**hole to scam people who have lost their data and felt bad about it already...

• @Neumann if it's any consolation, companies, some still active in the LEB community, who have screwed me and caused me headaches with clients in the past, brought me to these forums. The LEN as it exists on LEB and LET is a good place to be, there are providers here who you can build a relationship with. And as a business owner that is most important to me.