Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Control panel and billing for vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Control panel and billing for vps

lurchlurch Member
edited April 2017 in Help

I'm cutting down on my vps's and going for a couple of dedis instead (the hetzner ryzens look temping). A couple of colleagues are interested in having some vps's on my dedicated so need a way to bill them and a control panel so they can reinstall etc.

I use xen and esxi on other systems but would like to know what people recommend for vitualization and billing software.

So proxmox solusvm hostbill etc. As it will be used for covering server costs I'm not looking to spend £xxxx on licensing.

Comments

• I would say proxmox for vm installs, pm via whatsapp/telegram for support and paypal friends as billing each month :D

• MridulMridul Member
    edited April 2017

To cut the costs to Minimum may i suggest :

Proxmox with Blesta

• rumi4rumi4 Member

@Mridul said:

Proxmox with Blesta

System Requirements
    Recommended Hardware

CPU: 64bit (Intel EMT64 or AMD64)
    Intel VT/AMD-V capable CPU/Mainboard (for KVM Full Virtualization support)
    8 GB RAM is good, more is better (grab as much as possible)
    Hardware RAID with batteries protected write cache (BBU) or flash protection
    Fast hard drives, best results with 15k rpm SAS, Raid10
    Two or more Gbit NIC (for bonding), additional NIC´s depending on the preferred storage technology and cluster setup

• @rumi4 said:

@Mridul said:

Proxmox with Blesta

System Requirements
    Recommended Hardware

CPU: 64bit (Intel EMT64 or AMD64)
    Intel VT/AMD-V capable CPU/Mainboard (for KVM Full Virtualization support)
    8 GB RAM is good, more is better (grab as much as possible)
    Hardware RAID with batteries protected write cache (BBU) or flash protection
    Fast hard drives, best results with 15k rpm SAS, Raid10
    Two or more Gbit NIC (for bonding), additional NIC´s depending on the preferred storage technology and cluster setup

Recommend. I run Proxmox on a Atom 230 with 2GB RAM and 640GB HDD

• The one thing I would warn about Proxmox is that getting VNC to work is notoriously difficult unless you host your billing site on the same server as the Proxmox server is running on.

Also if you really want to save money and you have some time why not build a website yourself and use a payment gateway like Stripe?

• @Rootbox_kevin said:
    The one thing I would warn about Proxmox is that getting VNC to work is notoriously difficult unless you host your billing site on the same server as the Proxmox server is running on.

Also if you really want to save money and you have some time why not build a website yourself and use a payment gateway like Stripe?

Why? VNC is fine. Just provide users with access to proxmox panel. You can easily lock down accounts through command line to access only a single VM

• GenjiSwitchPls said: Why? VNC is fine. Just provide users with access to proxmox panel. You can easily lock down accounts through command line to access only a single VM

Yikes! Never heard of any VM provider that uses proxmox who also offers their users access to their own proxmox panel (If I'm wrong do you have any examples?). Isn't this generally considered insecure?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Usually Proxmox controls are integrated directly to the billing panel (Restart, install OS etc.).

• @Rootbox_kevin said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: Why? VNC is fine. Just provide users with access to proxmox panel. You can easily lock down accounts through command line to access only a single VM

Yikes! Never heard of any VM provider that uses proxmox who also offers their users access to their own proxmox panel (If I'm wrong do you have any examples?). Isn't this generally considered insecure?

I've had 1 VM with Proxmox access that was NexHost before it got sold and deadpooled. But I'm pretty sure if you lock the accounts down it's fairly secure. I have given my friends accounts with reduced permissions

• KevinjoaKevinjoa Member
    edited April 2017

@Rootbox_kevin said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: Why? VNC is fine. Just provide users with access to proxmox panel. You can easily lock down accounts through command line to access only a single VM

Don't see the point this being insecure. I have one German only provider who provides his kvm on proxmox and never encountered any issues.
    You can limit rights to groups and single accounts for the according vm.

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

@Rootbox_kevin said:

I run proxmox on my vps nodes and to a few clients I allow user access via proxmox. It has a group for just users and allows you to select what vps they can view and what type of control they are allow to do with the vps. You can lock them down to the minimum requirements of control.

• Proxmox has users roles, Administrator/VMAdmin/VMUser etc...., each role has specific permission which users can do, when a user is added it can be assigned to one or more virtual machines, which will be using one of the allocated roles, it will not allow users to do more than already role is permitted, I run Proxmox but I'm using a whmcs module the users won't need any access to the proxmox node as all is done via whmcs, and to save space and time all the installations are made via pxe including Windows :)

• racksxracksx Member
    edited April 2017

@lurch, simple way to do it is:

Billing Platform WHMCS or Blesta

Virtualization - Proxmox

WHMCS + Proxmox + Modules

Costs

WHMCS License

Addons Licenses

Addons = ModulesGarden proxmox addon or Modulesfactory

Blesta + Proxmox

Only Blesta license will cost as the Proxmox module is already built in.

It depends how much control you desire to offer to your user, with whmcs + addons you can offer a lot more, but will also cost more.

• Kevinjoa said: Don't see the point this being insecure. I have one German only provider who provides his kvm on proxmox and never encountered any issues. You can limit rights to groups and single accounts for the according vm.

My mistake, looks like there are at least three hosts that allow users to access their proxmox panels. ('NexHost'. 'one German only provider', 'abc-hosters')

• lurchlurch Member
    edited April 2017

Thanks everyone for your comments, i've been reading that the various blesta community supplied proxmox modules have either been abandoned or marked as not for use on production sites and only supports openvz?

I think I will have to bite the bullet on whmcs&one of the addons as nearly everyone uses whmcs and i've found a nice theme to go with it.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@lurch said:
    Thanks everyone for your comments, i've been reading that the various blesta community supplied proxmox modules have either been abandoned or marked as not for use on production sites and only supports openvz?

I think I will have to bite the bullet on whmcs&one of the addons as nearly everyone uses whmcs and i've found a nice theme to go with it.

actually the blesta built in proxmox module supports both openvz & kvm.

• rumi4rumi4 Member

Can we install ispconfig 3 ?

• Why I am unable show the file manager?