Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think about Copyright Alert System?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you think about Copyright Alert System?

GaNiGaNi Member
edited February 2013 in General

After the SOPA & CISPA era, they finally seem to implement their primary objective ie. to monitor user traffic.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57571307/copyright-alert-system-launches-isps-to-send-notice-of-illegal-downloads/

Comments

• Another desperate attempt, I have an encrypted VPN on my Cisco home router, ANY traffic that goes out exits at my VPS in NL.

Anyway, this is the purpose of Tor: hide what you're doing

• I don't live in 'murica.

Anyways, I need a new router. This D-Link one can barely push 50mbit over the wlan (It's rated 300mbit), even though I'm using Intel Centrino Ultimate-N and/or Apple Airport Extreme 3x3 cards 3m away from the router. What cisco router are you using @BronzeByte ?

• Would be good for VPN markets I guess.
    I don't like the direction our world is going. Big tyrannies lobbying for stupid laws that hold the whole world back. sigh

• Ya know, I'm kinda glad that I'm working on a big VPN solution at work. I get the feeling it's going to get really popular really fast.

• Never needed to regularly use a VPN before, but now I will start using one.

• I personally don't like how they are monitoring what you are doing, however I do like that they want to give people strikes and notify you instead of just having you end up with a lawsuit. It just seems much more reasonable. The illegal downloading traffic has declined a bunch over these past few years, and that's because they are working on making it easier for you to get your media. Spotify, Netflix, VUDU, iTunes, and more are making it easier for people than using bit-torrent. The main reason people used torrents etc to get media was because it was easier than driving to a blockbuster.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I have a lot of mixed feelings. It really comes down to how it's handled and how it's put in place. As an agreement between copyright holders and ISPs it is unfavorable yet potentially acceptable. I have no right to my ISP's connections except that which I opt into when I pay. I can protest the ISP if I choose. I can also protest the copyright holders and stop purchasing their products. One thing that I am certainly not entitled to is the creation of someone else who desires me to not have it unless I agree to their terms. I can live, breathe, eat, sleep, and create to my heart's content without the latest Taylor Swift album.

Aside from that, I don't like my traffic being sorted through. Your average firewall logs are fine, no harm done. Sniffing packets, nope. I don't know what they're doing exactly, but if they're sniffing packets for information that we didn't sign an agreement to, I'm fairly certain we have a legal avenue for dealing with it.

• This should be noted that this is not legislation. This is a opt-in program.

• @HC_Ro said: This should be noted that this is not legislation. This is a opt-in program.

That was pushed by the white house.

• @Rallias said: That was pushed by the white house.

That is irrelevant. You would be mad if they had forced this and they would be mad if they said you cannot do this.

This is non governmental. The best thing to do would be not to subscribed to someone who is involved.

edited February 2013

@Rallias said: That was pushed by the white house.

If I had a dime for every time the white house has pushed something that the people have rejected so strongly that they've been backed into a corner...

Bottom line is it's not a law and that means we are able to fight this using more traditional methods. We also may be able to use the law to fight this. Anyone read any good legal arguments against this? Just feels like there would be one.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@fisle said: Would be good for VPN markets I guess.

Not a bad idea. Just registered no6strikes.com :D

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@KuJoe said: Not a bad idea. Just registered no6strikes.com :D

What will be your next step? Lets move your stuff to Europe :P

Nah, sticking to US only for now. Already have the domain forwarding. :)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@KuJoe said: Nah, sticking to US only for now. Already have the domain forwarding.

Don't! :(

You will be missed :/

• 6strikes

6 strikes is 3 more strikes than New Zealand's 3- strikes law or France's 3-strike Hadopi

Lets move your stuff to Europe

You might want to avoid France, especially if you're a web host, search engine, or payment processor. Proposed legislation in France

To put pressure on intermediaries. It is necessary "to make hosts more accountable by forcing them to remove promptly illegal content and to prevent their reappearance, and by strengthening international cooperation in order to punish sites that refuse to comply";

De-list illegal offerings. It is necessary "to reduce the visibility of illegal offerings by acting on the listing in search engines, if necessary through legislation";

"Turn off revenue sources for infringing sites (the "Follow the money" approach), by making intermediaries (advertisers, online payment services) liable."

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121209/07085621316.shtml

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@DomainBop said: 6 strikes is 3 more strikes than New Zealand's 3- strikes law or France's 3-strike Hadopi

I think that you're slightly outdated. As far as I know HADOPI don't have french government support anymore and they recently stated that funding entertainment industry with taxpayer money isn't proper way to go. Not so long time ago they announced drastical decrease of funding HADOPI. And as you mention NZ 3- strikes law, also this one miserable failed.

HADOPI:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/08/french_minister_says_3_strikes_copyright_infringement_rule_is_a_waste_of_money/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/06/hadopi_under_fire/

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-08/08/hadopi-funding

NZ 3- strikes law unefficiency:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121019/01563020757/first-three-strikes-case-nz-dropped-after-it-becomes-clear-accused-didnt-file-share.shtml

http://techliberty.org.nz/rianz-withdraw-one-of-first-cases-to-copyright-tribunal/

-
    edit. overlooked your url above about (also) HADOPI failure.

• @KuJoe said: Not a bad idea. Just registered no6strikes.com :D

A domain that specifically implies helping users access illegally access copyrighted material. That doesn't look too good for your professional image.

@Nick said: A domain that specifically implies helping users access illegally access copyrighted material.

It implies that we don't like the idea of ISPs looking at our data. We do not allow bit torrents or use of our services for anything illegal.

• According to this article, ISPs will forward complaints from content providers. This implies that ISPs won't be inspecting traffic?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21591696

Really just sounds the same as it's always been, with the addition of the actual 6 strikes. I'm sure this changes nothing in this community with our shady ass VPNs.

• Working for an ISP, I can you this . . . it doesn't sound like monitoring per se, but a notification system with some teeth.

This already happens, there is just no general "6 strikes" system implemented by major ISPs. I can't speak for all ISPs, but I can tell you we have no interest in purchasing/maintaining expensive equipment, and subsequently modifying our network, for the sake of someone else. I suspect most others would feel the same.

DPI takes a lot of horsepower when you're talking about major traffic levels.

• @Microlinux said: it doesn't sound like monitoring per se, but a notification system with some teeth.

Yeah. There is absolutely no way in hell they are doing DPI. It's just going to be the monitoring of torrent swarms etc.

@Microlinux Good point. Honestly I try not to get worked up before understanding these things. Piracy isn't worth defending, privacy is. It has to be about privacy or its about piracy, and if its about piracy I will not stand by the "activist."

If they're not snooping, I have no complaint. If I didn't like copyright laws I'm going for my politician not my ISP. I imagine the ISP is as sick of dealing with the complaints as we are.