Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alibaba mainland China VPS feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alibaba mainland China VPS feedback

Has anyone here used this service? https://intl.aliyun.com/product/ecs#product-details

I am using it right now but my server in Beijing is very unstable when connecting to Europe.

My other server in Hangzhou is much better, with less timeouts. So the problem here doesn't look like a global Chinese thing, but localized to that location.

So my question is the following. If you have experience with their mainland China locations which ones are the most stable?

Comments

• jtkjtk Member
    edited April 2017

I've had an instance in China North 1 (Qingdao) for a few months that seems reasonably stable, however my usage wouldn't notice any transient connectivity issues. It has been up consistently for over 80 days if that helps any.

• Have you tried proxying your connection via hong kong or other china-optimised network providers?

• There was an accident happened.
    http://www.yunweipai.com/archives/13594.html

• @summerstar interesting thanks.

@jtk Thanks I will maybe try Qingdao. I am curious, how much were you paying per month? For some their public pricing and real pricing is not the same.

• jtkjtk Member

@jtk Thanks I will maybe try Qingdao. I am curious, how much were you paying per month? For some their public pricing and real pricing is not the same.

Current pricing is about $12/month if paid yearly. Note, some new regulations may require you to upload scanned passport/license documents.

• ihellihell Member

i think their dc in shanghai performances well, for its bgp network with low latency.

• I'd imagine Shenzhen would be better, borders Hong Kong. Haven't tried it, yet it seems the most logical option.

• fanfan Veteran

Even their Hong Kong location doesn't perform well when it comes to connectivity to Europe, Shanghai and Hangzhou probably route through China Telecom which has better route to Europe while Beijing routes through China Unicom, the traffic has to go through US then Europe, hence the poor connectivity,

• Traffic between mainland and other part of the globe is going to be really suck. You might get some good CN2 peering if you're willing to pay up to $50/mbps/month.

• I dont care about good connection. I just dont want 90% packet loss. For example Hangzhou works fine for my needs.

Thanks for your suggestions I will try the locations you all said.

• yorkyork Member

You should get a China Mobile cloud so that the loss would be 5% globally,1% in asia-pacific at most.

Also you can buy the alibaba Hongkong B/C or SGP cloud.Their networks is friendly to Mainland CN and other places worldwide.

There is no stable international network for CT/CU...

• China Mobile cloud - what is the site? Do they have an english version?

• ElliotJ said: I'd imagine Shenzhen would be better, borders Hong Kong

By Chinese policy you do not get a link to HK from Shenzhen and need to transit before to CNC/CT which might or might not peer you off in HK or via another location. Topnet is a good example for the middle way, but they only do internet, not hosting.

york said: There is no stable international network for CT/CU...

CN2.

• BAKABAKA Member
    edited April 2017

My office in China is using CU. During last few weeks the packet loss to Europe was >50% in the afternoon. CT also suffers packet loss in peak time.

For "consumer-grade" network, CT is using 163net and CU is using 169net, which are both crowded and routes are not promised.
    For "VIP-grade" network, CT has CN2 and CU has CNCnet, which are quite expensive.
    CM usually has faster intl connection, but that's just because it has much smaller network user base. It doesn't have as many infrastructures as CT/CU. Sometimes connections between CM & CT/CU will be routed abroad then back.

• BAKABAKA Member

york said: You should get a China Mobile cloud so that the loss would be 5% globally,1% in asia-pacific at most.

Have you used China Mobile cloud? I checked some reviews and most says "avoid".
    For example, in this article it ranks near bottom for both technique & service.
    http://blog.tingyun.com/web/article/detail/612

• BAKA said: CM usually has faster intl connection, but that's just because it has much smaller network user base

Keep also in mind that CM is peering friendly external, while CT/CU are extorting money by gov order essentially.

• yorkyork Member
    edited April 2017

@jimaek said:
    China Mobile cloud - what is the site? Do they have an english version?

well it seems they don't offer an english site.
    https://ecloud.10086.cn/

@William said:

BAKA said: CM usually has faster intl connection, but that's just because it has much smaller network user base

Keep also in mind that CM is peering friendly external, while CT/CU are extorting money by gov order essentially.

Come on, CN2 is expensive and silly.

• yorkyork Member

@BAKA said:

york said: You should get a China Mobile cloud so that the loss would be 5% globally,1% in asia-pacific at most.

Have you used China Mobile cloud? I checked some reviews and most says "avoid".
    For example, in this article it ranks near bottom for both technique & service.
    http://blog.tingyun.com/web/article/detail/612

I'm talking about the network.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

york said: Come on, CN2 is expensive and silly.

You do not need CN2 for CM? I have them on HKIX. For free.

CN2 is the gov money machine - as we all know the entire chain is gov owned, so this IS an extortion scheme and nothing more.

• yorkyork Member
    edited April 2017

@William said:

york said: Come on, CN2 is expensive and silly.

You do not need CN2 for CM? I have them on HKIX. For free.

CN2 is the gov money machine - as we all know the entire chain is gov owned, so this IS an extortion scheme and nothing more.

You are so extreme.

CN2 is not 163 at first which is for financial enterprise,the gov and some business based on high-Qua international networks.
    CN2 is nothing to the the companies I mentioned above but expensive to me(you).

As for "CM or CN2",CM is peering friendly external while CN2(AS 4809) is still under construction to some degree.
    CM is easy to get while CN2 is hard to buy.
    The price of CM is more open than CN2.
    CM is much cheaper.

BTW,as far as I know,AS 4809 need to pay the traffic fee(in and out) to the oversea ISPs.That must be similiar to the situation of CM in mainland China,which could be a reason of high bandwidth price.

Long live CM.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

york said: You are so extreme.

...? The PRC claims to own this companies by the 'constitution' and how the communist regime works alone, describing them as money machine is absolutely legitimate. Sure, they have sub-companies and "pay" fees to each other (in internationally rather worthless RMB) but this is all one large gov construct.

CN2 will never open peer.

CM customers are very happy with my traffic over HK, and as said: i do not pay CM anything at all.