Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to file a complaint against Cloud At Cost - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to file a complaint against Cloud At Cost

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jenkki said: No one seriously use them for important or sensitive hosting

If that was true, this thread would not exist.

Or maybe our idea of 'serious' and the OP's are different.

• AnthonySmith said: Or maybe our idea of 'serious' and the OP's are different.

Closer to truth. Don't expect sky rocket from bike. Price of bus ticket from taxi.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

farsighter said: Well if you haven't heard the news, Cloudatcost has changed their TOS. Even existing customers with lifetime plans will have to pay them $9 as yearly maintenance fee. They're asking $9 a year on a service they advertised and sold as a one-time payment!!

I just want to highlight how fucking hilarious this is.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • WSSWSS Member

@joepie91 said:

farsighter said: Well if you haven't heard the news, Cloudatcost has changed their TOS. Even existing customers with lifetime plans will have to pay them $9 as yearly maintenance fee. They're asking $9 a year on a service they advertised and sold as a one-time payment!!

I just want to highlight how fucking hilarious this is.

AHHH! CAPITALISM (The musical)!

Whoever thought paying pennies for something that isn't designed to function as a single transaction and would still get to keep it forever, welp..

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@William said:

jenkki said: Just wondering when providers trying to discuss about their competitor.. where no real proofs most time. Just speaking.

CAC is no competition to anyone. They are scammy, and if not yet, will be at one point scam & bankrupt out.

You know, I always thought they were an IP grab operation and nothing else.

Francisco

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Francisco said: You know, I always thought they were an IP grab operation and nothing else.

Not unlikely yea, but they just did it... wrong. Stupidly wrong, just look at host1plus/methbot to see how it correctly works, or Colocrossing for secondary...

We'll see, at one point it is bound to fall over - Space might be free, but BW and power cost money.

• WSS said: still get to keep it forever

No one expect it just trying, or survive.

• @jenkki said:

WSS said: still get to keep it forever

No one expect it just trying, or survive.

Unfortunately it will survive, because a sucker is born every minute.

• default said: Unfortunately it will survive, because a sucker is born every minute.

Not sure, if you max out your BW it is pretty unsustainable within a few months, as every transit will disconnect them for non-payment...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

William said: Isn't CA based on UK law? It should thus not have any class action system like the US does.

Both the USA and Canada derive from British Common Law. In any Common Law system there are various commonalities (e.g., the system of precedents, etc.) but the actual specifics of how class action lawsuits work has long since been codified and so it's different I imagine...I know how it works in the US and I assume Canada is different.

BTW, common law is the stupidest legal system on the entire planet and I swear was dreamed up to maximize uncertainty in the law and enrich lawyers, but that's a different rant.

• raindog308 said: Both the USA and Canada derive from British Common Law

Except Louisiana (holy crap, right on frist try, had to google to verify though...) i think?

• You could be reasonably more confident about Canada's laws being similar to the UK's considering the timespan of independence. Somewhat similar to the UK's situation with EU law in the coming years. That aside, obviously you need lawyer's to give an authoritative view.

WRT the provider, shite. Pure and simple. If you're after a command line that might be available more than half the time, smashing. Otherwise, pointless to pursue this as a computable resource.

• This belongs in the ill-conceived class action suit hall of fame.

Pinkerton said: We called to file a complaint with the city - please see links below

This is the best part. Next time my iPhone glitches, I'm calling Cupertino city council.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • Pinkerton said: file a complaint with city government and IANA (may have shut them down once):

Try to send some guys with baseball bits, govs not helps.

• Pinkerton said: file a complaint with city government and IANA (may have shut them down once):

IANA and ICANN do not shut down anyone and are in fact exempt from most laws, including US embargoes. Else Iran would not have any IPv4.

Thanked by 1jenkki
  • trnjtrnj Member

This works in the UAE. You can fill a complaint to the gov or police and they would require providers to block website in firewall.

Pretty scary to sell digital products with lifetime validity.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

trnj said: This works in the UAE. You can fill a complaint to the gov or police and they would require providers to block website in firewall.

The UAE is also a dictatorship and not a democracy like Canada. In fact, most of the UAE laws are not even solid and very vague, depending on the judge, your social status and the region.

Try to drink alcohol in Sharjah.

UAE is also one of very few, if not the only, country where you can go to jail for debt to a bank or similar, for a long time.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited April 2017

William said: The UAE is also a dictatorship and not a democracy like Canada. In fact, most of the UAE laws are not even solid and very vague, depending on the judge, your social status and the region.

Try to drink alcohol in Sharjah.
    UAE is also one of very few, if not the only, country where you can go to jail for debt to a bank or similar, for a long time.

There a specific country laws exist, such a ethnic and religious laws, you can't set push democracy under western views to these laws.

• William said: Try to drink alcohol in Sharjah.

Drink alcohol in UAE not such a problem, restaurants bars where you can drink exist. You cannot drink on streets :)

• @jenkki said:

William said: Try to drink alcohol in Sharjah.

Drink alcohol in UAE not such a problem, restaurants bars where you can drink exist. You cannot drink on streets :)

So Canada?

• PepeSilvia said: So Canada?

What about Canada?

William said: UAE is also one of very few, if not the only, country where you can go to jail for debt to a bank or similar, for a long time.

I was curious about this and looked it up...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debtors'_prison

Yep, UAE described. Greece only got rid of debtors' prisons in 2008.

Quite a few places where apparently if you fail to pay a fine/penalty resulting from a criminal conviction, you can go to jail if you don't pay it...which seems horrible to me. I get the idea of garnishing wages or confiscating property, but depriving liberty over debts (even to the state) is medieval.

• trnjtrnj Member
    edited April 2017

A website (domain) of my client in the UAE was banned by UAE gov (or police) for semi-scam techniques... They just created a new one with a new domain (till the next ban). New website is still alive (2 years, top ~150 alexa in UAE).

So even such measures do not work. I do not think it would be possible to do anything with this provider or any [a bit] scam digital sellers.

• @jenkki said:

PepeSilvia said: So Canada?

What about Canada?

Can't drink in public :/

At least in Ontario. Sucks that you can't legally crack one open at the beach

• I did it, I finally got lucky. I managed to have a server on CaC with 2 months uptime, "up 62 days".

Thank you CloudAtCost, you are a very good provider because, finally, from 4 servers redeployed and recreated many times, one reached 2 months uptime in my lifetime.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

jenkki said: Drink alcohol in UAE not such a problem, restaurants bars where you can drink exist. You cannot drink on streets :)

Wrong. Sharjah is 100% dry emirate. Only the others allow it, Dubai being the most progressive. Look it up yourself. Enforcement in Sharjah is extremely strict from what i hear, also against tourists.

raindog308 said: I was curious about this and looked it up...

Yup. And they enforce this, Greece to my knowledge at least since EU ascension did not.

Also, UAE judge + foreign/expat defendant = jail anyway. You cannot expect any fair trial and only hope that your gov makes a deal to get you home (not too unlikely).

• PepeSilvia said: At least in Ontario

Hello! Talking about UAE, why Canada?