Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VULTR $2.5 VPS already sold out - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VULTR $2.5 VPS already sold out

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@WSS are you trying to tell us that Vultr sucks?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • WSSWSS Member

@rm_ said:
    @WSS are you trying to tell us that Vultr sucks?

Pretty sure that instance is going to cost you more than $5/mo.

WSS said: Pretty sure that instance is going to cost you more than $5/mo.

Well I hope it's also available on hourly pricing, no interest in such long-term commit at the moment.

• LeeLee Veteran

It's clearly not out of stock, incorrect terminology. All they need to display is that it's currently exceeded their allocation level for that plan.

Their choice, no point complaining about it to anyone but them.

• sold out?

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited April 2017

rm_ said: There are zero reasons whatsoever to choose Vultr over Linode at $5.

I like the higher performance and more location choices @ Vultr. I got one of the 3.5ghz cores with NVme storage in New Jersey and its great.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Top Ten Reasons To Pick Vultr Over Linode

1. You want a panel that was not written in the Eisenhower administration.

2. You want to put deploy ssh keys as part of your setup. I know, just crazy expectations.

3. You want a custom ISO

4. You want a host that hasn't been repeatedly hacked

5. You want a floating IP

6. You want a storage node

7. Is Linode's API on par with Vultr's or DO's? I haven't look, but if I had to wager...

8. You want a host who won't null route you at the slightest disturbance

9. In fact, you're willing to pay for DDOS protection if the host offers it but Linode doesn't.

10. And maybe you just want to be somewhere Linode isn't, which is lots of places.

Personally, I think Linode is a great provider and have a 1GB VPS working at this moment. And yes, it wouldn't be hard to make a "top ten reasons to pick DO over Vultr" or even "top ten reasons to pick Linode over Vultr". But to say there are "zero reasons not to pick them over Vultr" is silly.

• fazarfazar Member

victim of its success. :)

Thanked by 2kaflo BeardyUnixGuy
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2017

raindog308 said: Top One Reason To Pick Vultr Over Linode Right Now.

1. Linode complacency

I have always been a fan of Linode, since 2005 or thereabouts. The truth is though that they let their arrogance get in the way. Up until DO came along they had a very strong following, it was Apple like.

They said there was no need to move to SSD drives, that was until they saw a significant migration of their customer base to DO, then they replaced everything with SSD.

No need to complete at a lower price point. Then they reduced the cheapest plan from $20 to $10 to $5.

Resources were fine, then they doubled them and so on.

Xen was going to be the best option for years to come, then they switched to KVM months after saying that.

Their infrastructure was resilient "enough" for them and they had full control of it, until they got their ass handed to them over a holiday period with a DDoS and realised they had little control over their infrastructure.

Then as @raindog308 says, the lack of simple elements such as deploying with keys in place, storage options, charging $20 for more than 12 hours of stats and the list goes on.

They are catching up but doing it on a very slow basis, in fact it's very much reactive than proactive.

I am no particular fan of Vultr, in fact I have moved from Linode to DO recently, the reason is fear. I just don't have confidence in Linode any more.

Thanked by 1raindog308

Linode still has a "more reliable" and "a real company" feel to it. Vultr is still a one guy show with abrupt dick moves like this one.

• I guess I've had a bad impression of Linode due to immediate 24h ddos nullrouting, repeated leaks of credit cards, and expensive entry-level instances compared with their main competitors. Even AWS lightsail has a $5 instance now, that maybe came before Linode's.

trewq said:

I agree it's kind of a dick move to not list it as sold out on normal pricing pages considering the timeline but they're not forcing you to buy the $5 alternative.

It's beyond that, as rm_ explained. They are extracting private info from people (signups and CC #'s) on false pretenses. What would happen to a VPS provider on LET who offered some attractive but not sensational deal, and didn't reveal that it was limited/OOS until people made accounts on their WHMCS? I hope LET wouldn't allow that. So Vultr should also stop the practice.

Is there a way to even tell the Vultr $2.50 instance is out of stock, without logging in and trying to buy one?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • saf31saf31 Member

@WSS said:

@BG32 said:
    I think people overlook something vultr has and no one else does.

Best looking glass ever. . . . .

• LeeLee Veteran

@rm_ said:
    Linode still has a "more reliable" and "a real company" feel to it.

In comparison to Vultr, totally agree. Not a fan of them and never will be.

willie said: They are extracting private info from people (signups and CC #'s) on false pretenses.

Not in total agreement that their intention is just to get client data. Clients, yes. Although I do suggest the way they have gone about it is certainly questionable.

As a cloud provider you either offer them all of the time or none of the time. Fair enough if they close requests at specific locations due to over subscription but as said they appear to have miscalculated that people would cancel more expensive servers for this cheaper one.

That's about the best summary of Lindoe I've ever read @Lee

Thanked by 1Lee
  • WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:
    1. You want a panel that was not written in the Eisenhower administration.

Why did you have to open up with this? I could see it as a #11, but not a #1. I'm sorry, but if it works- who cares if it's HTML3.2 compliant? See also: NameSilo.

I honestly don't care about panels...sorry to @Francisco and @KuJoe and those who've invested the time, but as long as I can do what I want and not get hacked, that's all I care about.

However, a lot of people here seem to like aesthetically-pleasing custom panels. There was open weeping over Feathr and some people had to change their underwear when Stallion came out.

The most beautiful panel I've ever seen is Azure's - it's like a freakin' Scientology promo or something with its swirling graphics and flashy displays, metrics, charts, etc. But it's hard to use, so I'd actually prefer to use Solus because at least Solus makes sense. Well, for Solus.

Sorry for the Azure triggering @Nekki

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: I honestly don't care about panels...sorry to @Francisco and @KuJoe

Stallion was just as much about features as it was to save cash. I couldn't imagine doing slices and such and paying the shitheads at Solus thousands of dollars a month for them to douche themselves all day.

Francisco

• WSSWSS Member

@Francisco said:

raindog308 said: I honestly don't care about panels...sorry to @Francisco and @KuJoe

Stallion was just as much about features as it was to save cash. I couldn't imagine doing slices and such and paying the shitheads at Solus thousands of dollars a month for them to douche themselves all day.

Francisco

I'd love to see your response to the company known as Too Much Media.

• @rm_ said:
    Linode still has a "more reliable" and "a real company" feel to it. Vultr is still a one guy show with abrupt dick moves like this one.

I guess we do live in the era of feelings over facts.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

trewq said:

I agree it's kind of a dick move to not list it as sold out on normal pricing pages considering the timeline but they're not forcing you to buy the $5 alternative.

It's beyond that, as rm_ explained. They are extracting private info from people (signups and CC #'s) on false pretenses. What would happen to a VPS provider on LET who offered some attractive but not sensational deal, and didn't reveal that it was limited/OOS until people made accounts on their WHMCS? I hope LET wouldn't allow that. So Vultr should also stop the practice.

>

If you get out of the low end bubble you'll find that a lot of places try and collect your email at every possible chance they get. This is no different and I don't see an issue with a company trying to extend its reach.

I think you're just being a bit sensitive. The sooner you realise it's all about marketing the sooner you'll stop caring so much.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • WSSWSS Member

@trewq said:
    I think you're just being a bit sensitive. The sooner you realise it's all about marketing the sooner you'll stop caring so much.

Thanked by 1willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited April 2017

trewq said: collect your email at every possible chance they get. This is no different

Collect your email 1) isn't so nice to begin with; 2) is indeed different from collect your email, real name, address, phone, credit card number, and maybe even get you to send in a picture of yourself holding your drivers license, before letting on that they don't actually sell the product that they advertise.

Can you name ANY other company that you wouldn't call a scam, that systematically advertises "we will sell you product X for $Y", collects your payment credentials, and only then tells you that the product is (cough) "out of stock, but you might like the 2X as expensive version"?

Is there any way to tell that the Vultr $2.50 plan is out of stock without having an account and logging in?

Thanked by 1Yura
  • LeeLee Veteran

• J1021J1021 Member

15 vs 8 locations
    Snapshots
    10Gbit networking

• WSS said: I'm still not going to spin up a $5/mo instance, sorry- you've priced yourself out of my "care enough to play with", with a returning minimal entry of $60/yr.

I've spun up some of them and even a $480(?)/month instance, though for just a few hours. I don't think I'd run a $5 server non-stop without a decent reason, but it's handy to spin them up for temporary use including for cpu power. I have a number of $1/month servers for no good reason so I guess my good-reason threshold is somewhere between those two amounts.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    I've spun up some of them and even a $480(?)/month instance, though for just a few hours. I don't think I'd run a $5 server non-stop without a decent reason, but it's handy to spin them up for temporary use including for cpu power. I have a number of $1/month servers for no good reason so I guess my good-reason threshold is somewhere between those two amounts.

Thanked by 1willie

@WSS would you cut back on posting your fucking animated GIFs in every thread? This is not 4chan, and not Cest Pit either.

• WSSWSS Member

@rm_ said:
    @WSS would you cut back on posting your fucking animated GIFs in every thread? This is not 4chan, and not Cest Pit either.

Seems like there's a lot of butthurt people bitter they don't have a $2.50 Vultr VPS.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog