Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VULTR $2.5 VPS already sold out
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VULTR $2.5 VPS already sold out

Around last month, VULTR introduced a small $2.5 vps.
Very helpful for micro projects, but seems that it has been sold out in all regions from quite a few days.
Any idea when it will be available again?

Thanked by 1icry

Comments

• I don't think it's a matter of "sold out" since they have tons of hardware resources and(?) IP addresses. It's probably more like: they stopped selling them while they reassess what it's doing to their business. I suspect a lot of their $5 instances got shut down when the $2.50 ones appeared.

Competitive products include BuyVM slices and OVH VPS-SSD at $3.50, Scaleway VC-1 instances and C1 dedis at 3 euro, and the usual other LET suspects.

• Just can hope, that they resume selling it.

• @willie said:
    I suspect a lot of their $5 instances got shut down when the $2.50 ones appeared.

Guilty.

• BG32BG32 Member

Yeah it's BS that they're sold out. Just look at their location status and the fact you can buy $5+ servers in all locations. They Tried to become competitive and couldn't back it up

• They were good while they lasted...

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

Got people hyped and talking about their product/brand, so its goal was achieved.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they'll only bring them back "in stock" every now and then, for a very short while, just to revive the hype, like OVH does with those Kimsufi 3C servers.

Thanked by 1willie
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

HBAndrei said: Got people hyped and talking about their product/brand, so its goal was achieved.

Maybe. People may just wait out for the $2.50 though and never buy something bigger, so all they're doing now is cutting into their bottom line and having to deal with twice as much overhead.

Francisco

• I wonder how many instances their average user has, and how it compares with AWS. I know of lots of places with 6-figure monthly AWS bills. No idea of Vultr etc. have anything like that.

• I just asked Vultr support and got a quick response:

"We are officially SOLD OUT of this extremely popular introductory offering. Please consider a $5.00 plan (we recently doubled resources available at a cost of $0.007/hour).

Why is this awesome plan sold out? This boils down to supply and demand.

Will this offer ever return? Signs point to 'probably, someday' but definitely not within the days ahead. Think weeks/months from now instead. If/when this happens, availability will likely be limited."

Seems @HBAndrei is correct ...

Thanked by 1willie
  • wlambrechts said: Please consider a $5.00 plan (we recently doubled resources available at a cost of $0.007/hour).

See, that's the point. People using small plans usually need even fewer resources than the $2.50 plan offered, so doubling doesn't help. Most of my VPS's are still yearly 128MB's at various places.

• maybe this is part of marketing gimmick just like OVH 4 Euro dedi

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2017

In my account at Vultr, it says "Temporarily Sold Out".

You guys seem all surprised, but I think that this is simply provider-business as usual. Promos come and go, providers make adjustments based on sales, profitability, and goals. The $2.50 servers will be back, but unless there is mass emigration away from the $2.50 servers that have been sold already (unlikely), when the $2.50 servers return, they will be available in more limited quantities and for a more limited period of time. As usual, one will have to act quickly.

For those of you/us who have a $2.50 server, don't cancel it. :-)

• J1021J1021 Member

@DaveA is still awesome.

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • bapbap Member
    edited April 2017

@angstrom said: For those of you/us who have a $2.50 server, don't cancel it. :-)

2 days ago when I destroy my $2.5-plan, I need to wait about 3 hours before it available. So, just wait for an hour or two, and dont use "availability notification" feature because its useless. Really, DO still the best in Singapore. :)

• angstrom said: Promos come and go

Thing is, it's not marketed as a promo. If you look at https://www.vultr.com/pricing/ right now, the $2.50 plan is shown as if it's an ordinary instance along with the others. The only problem is OOS when you try to actually order it, and even that doesn't give any clue that it's not a normal OOS. For those of us used to LET, a $2.50, 512MB VPS is by no means a shocking product, so it might not occur to us that it was a promo / bait / whatever. Fwiw I find the OVH VPS-SSD-1 to be superior in most regards other than having less disk space.

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • I would've hoarded a couple in Singapore, if I didn't already have a special $6.4 4GB SSD-KVM in leaseweb-SGP, that is doing nothing more than vpn (300-700G traffic usage) and a monitoring agent.

no regrets I guess.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

angstrom said: Promos come and go

Thing is, it's not marketed as a promo. If you look at https://www.vultr.com/pricing/ right now, the $2.50 plan is shown as if it's an ordinary instance along with the others. The only problem is OOS when you try to actually order it, and even that doesn't give any clue that it's not a normal OOS. For those of us used to LET, a $2.50, 512MB VPS is by no means a shocking product, so it might not occur to us that it was a promo / bait / whatever. Fwiw I find the OVH VPS-SSD-1 to be superior in most regards other than having less disk space.

willie, I don't think that we really disagree here. :-)

When I wrote "promo", it was to indulge those (also you?) who claim that the $2.50 server is a latent promo. Maybe it is a latent promo, maybe it isn't. But it's still provider-business as usual: the provider decides to limit sales of their lowest priced product for business reasons. (We just don't know the exact variables involved.)

It wasn't so long ago that many of us would try to get a 128MB KVM from BuyVM. I remember that on a number of occasions, the 128MB KVM would be out of stock, whereas the higher priced KVMs would be available. I presume that this was also at least in part a business decision on the part of BuyVM (as opposed to one based solely on technical considerations).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2017

wlambrechts said: Think weeks/months from now instead.

Really, months? They should remove it from the plan list and the panel for now then, else it's a downright scam and false advertising. It's not marked as sold out on https://www.vultr.com/pricing/, so people likely sign up (and enter their credit cards) specifically expecting to use that plan.

Thanked by 4Yura Plioser bersy willie
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

wlambrechts said: Think weeks/months from now instead.

Really, months? They should remove it from the plan list and the panel for now then, else it's a downright scam.

They're well within their rights to change stock levels however they see fit. I think you need to check the definition of scam because this is not it.

Thanked by 2raindog308 J1021

trewq said: definition of scam

Would a "bait and switch" work for you? Also I clarified the message above.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

trewq said: definition of scam

Would a "bait and switch" work for you? Also I clarified the message above.

I agree it's kind of a dick move to not list it as sold out on normal pricing pages considering the timeline but they're not forcing you to buy the $5 alternative.

• It does seem their support is under very clear instruction to pimp the $5 instances. I made it quite clear I was only interested in the $2.50 after getting in contact, but they still pimped the pricier one.

• the $5 instances are still a great deal... not sure why people are complaining

Thanked by 1sin
  • I'd rather go for Linode if Vultr doesn't have the $2.5 instances...

Thanked by 5rm_ bersy fan yomero Pwner
  • I'd transfer one of mine to someone here if it was possible. I recently moved to SpeedyKVM and don't need one of the 2.50 ones anymore :/

There are zero reasons whatsoever to choose Vultr over Linode at $5.

• WSSWSS Member

I checked my Vultr account, and although I thought I only had $3 credit before, it's showing $8 now.

I'm still not going to spin up a $5/mo instance, sorry- you've priced yourself out of my "care enough to play with", with a returning minimal entry of $60/yr.

• BG32BG32 Member

I think people overlook something vultr has and no one else does. (I didn't want to say it) but no where else can you get $2.50 / $5 windows servers in Australia, no where else period.

edited April 2017

BG32 said: I think people overlook something vultr has and no one else does. (I didn't want to say it) but no where else can you get $2.50 / $5 windows servers in Australia, no where else period.

You can not get $2.50 servers from Vultr anywhere at the moment;

And not everyone needs servers in Australia, whereas for the other two popular SEA locations at Singapore and Japan Linode also has those. Heck for Singapore DigitalOcean is also an option.

• WSSWSS Member

@BG32 said:
    I think people overlook something vultr has and no one else does.