Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SEARCHING FOR] A peering contact at A1 Telekom Austria
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SEARCHING FOR] A peering contact at A1 Telekom Austria

I'm working for a service provider that will launch products on the Austrian market next year. We are currently able to access the network of A1 Telekom Austria via transit. To reduce the AS path and optimize our network utilization we would prefer a direct peering at the DE-CIX. The peering contact mentioned in the PeeringDB hasn't responded yet.

If anybody has a better peering contact at A1 Telekom Austria please contact me via pm.

Cheers,
Tobias

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Check with DE-CIX they might have.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Do you have 300Mbit 95%? This is the requirement for private peering. I guess you speak German? English is not widely used at UPC/A1, especially at the higher staff end.

A1 only peers with volume and never peers with zero volume/new. You need to use the routeservers on VIX (NOT DECIX OR AMSIX, VIX ONLY) for this and request enabling by A1. Outside AT you always need volume, routeserver or not.

Generally A1 is easy to peer with though, worst case you can peer with HE on VIX which has A1 routes direct next, one AS more but not leaving the DC.

• Since we are providing a render blocking javascript the main concern is network latency rather than network traffic.

We are interested in keeping the as path short and the amount of hops as low as possible. A1 Telekom Austria is peering at the DE-CIX, but not with the DE-CIX route servers.

We only need a reliable contact to discuss direct peering with A1 Telekom Austria.

• you can contact core-backbone.com they are one of the largest tier 2 carriers, also #3 of de-cix resellers

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@William said:
    Do you have 300Mbit 95%? This is the requirement for private peering. I guess you speak German? English is not widely used at UPC/A1, especially at the higher staff end.

A1 only peers with volume and never peers with zero volume/new. You need to use the routeservers on VIX (NOT DECIX OR AMSIX, VIX ONLY) for this and request enabling by A1. Outside AT you always need volume, routeserver or not.

Generally A1 is easy to peer with though, worst case you can peer with HE on VIX which has A1 routes direct next, one AS more but not leaving the DC.

A1 is owned by UPC? In that case Liberty Global peering policy wojsk apply

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2017

Clouvider said: A1 is owned by UPC

No, A1 is public traded and parts of it are in Austrian gov hands, with additional chair seats. The remark is merely the English spread on higher network executives (yea, UPC has that) and similar, which is the same on both - practically zero.

tobias said: Since we are providing a render blocking javascript the main concern is network latency rather than network traffic.

Yea, this is not going to happen then - Your way is to use a 3rd party to transit/peer, you do not qualify for either public or private peering with A1, alone by the minimum traffic levels but also by the exchange policy (private/direct only on higher volume).

You can only buy transit from them or go the VIX route i described, via RS. This costs you a VIX port (around 400EUR for Gbit per month) and colo in Vienna or backhaul to DE plus does not guarantee any peering by itself (Austria does not do forced peering as Israel/similar, yet).

The peering contact in peeringdb is still valid and replies, no idea why you get none (outside that you do not qualify) - If you did English, try German.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • William said: The peering contact in peeringdb is still valid and replies, no idea why you get none

That makes me sad, I've sent a peering request two weeks ago to A1 in German of course with volume but sadly didn't received any response.

Have the same with Amazon and some other bigger player

• I would not yet discount it as failed, depending on if it is considered it can take a bunch of weeks for a reply but yea pretty unlikely, especially if you are not an established company which at times waives the volume reqs (eg. A1<->A-Trust due to security or A1<->Vienna gov avoiding Aconet, some BGP monitoring services also have sessions direct).

Amazon is pretty useless for peering but you can get them on some exchanges public. Note that since AWS introduced multi-region internal network (and thus their own transport topology below it) they WILL in the future also reroute internet bound traffic to cheaper destinations (same as Softlayer or OVH). Generally with AWS you only get local routes for this region, DECIX/AMSIX eg. only Dublin/Frankfurt. GOVcloud is routinely excluded entirely.

Generally what you try is fairly pointless in cost:profit calculation as a single reliable upstream (eg. NTT which is good to A1 and UPC or Nextlayer in Vienna which has all in AT and pretty good international, or you pick up Anexia in Frankfurt which has most large EU peers by now), which can even cost a lot per Mbit (highest price for anything i've seen in EU lately, sold as premium-premium, was around 6EUR/Mbit) as you said only latency matters, will be cheaper by maintenance and initial costs by far and solve not only A1 but all/most others as well.

• We finally found a reliable peering contact that understood the our situation and established a BGP session yesterday.

I want to thank everyone who was part of this discussion for their helpful advises.