Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What software do you use to encrypt your USB Stick?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What software do you use to encrypt your USB Stick?

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited March 2017 in General

Looking for a straightforward/simple to use tool to encrypt my usb stick. Been using VeraCrypt before but it kinda became a pain. Perhaps I should just get one of the SanDisk Secure Access or Kingston Secured Sticks which come with software that does just that?

Comments

• cassacassa Member

What is a USB stick?

• cassa said:
    What is a USB stick?

Flash disk, probably

• Why did VeraCrypt don't work out?

• @cassa said:
    What is a USB stick?

• If you don't want to use this stick on windows, you can use luks.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

I have a Kingston flash drive that comes with hardware encryption.. Works fine for me and it isn't very expensive. Plus it's faster than all of my non-encryption flash drives from other brands.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @cassa said:
    What is a USB stick?

Look at the image provided by Ympker. That is a USB stick, which is an abbr. for "unified sex byte". Look at the lower right black section. There are two holes. That tells the expert that this stick can store 2 bytes.

There is also the metallic upper part (with some kind of condom to the left) but for that I can't help you; I don't know what that is good for but I have the suspicion that @WSS is behind it and that it serves purposes of unspeakable promiscuity *blush

Thanked by 2Ympker Abdussamad
  • @MikeA said:
    I have a Kingston flash drive that comes with hardware encryption.. Works fine for me and it isn't very expensive. Plus it's faster than all of my non-encryption flash drives from other brands.

Seems like a solid choice^^ I only need a few GBs. 32GB or so will be fine :)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

This is the specific one I have if you're interested - https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-16GB-Traveler-Automatic-DTLPG3/dp/B00HQC8WSM

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @MikeA said:

@Ympker said:

@MikeA said:

This is the specific one I have if you're interested - https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-16GB-Traveler-Automatic-DTLPG3/dp/B00HQC8WSM

Thanks mate :)

• Anything that needs to be encrypted would probably be done using OpenSSL for me.

• @Ympker said:
    Looking for a straightforward/simple to use tool to encrypt my usb stick. Been using VeraCrypt before but it kinda became a pain. Perhaps I should just get one of the SanDisk Secure Access or Kingston Secured Sticks which come with software that does just that?

Why dont you simply encrypt is using the winrar or any other folder encryption method?

That Being Said

If I were you

I would simply make my usb bootable (any linux image approx 500mb -1000mb) and then encrypt it and carry it around with me :-)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2017

@noaman said:

@Ympker said:

Why dont you simply encrypt is using the winrar or any other folder encryption method?

That Being Said

If I were you

I would simply make my usb bootable (any linux image approx 500mb -1000mb) and then encrypt it and carry it around with me :-)

Wouldn't that (Linux Live OS) require each and every PC I use to have the option to choose to Boot from USB? I cant do that at e.g. the Uni PCs..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I use TrueCrypt...should switch to VeraCrypt...and partition encryption. You pick up my thumbdrive (er pendrive er stick) and it's apparently random unformatted garbage.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I'd be skeptical of "hardware encrypted" usb sticks. Ironkey was the only one that was serious, and it's changed ownership a few times since then, so who knows.

As a Linux user I just use cryptsetup/LUKS which is possibly not ideal, but there's good support for it.

Hardware encrypted disks usually use AES ECB mode which leaks information in well known ways. Modern laptops are fast enough to use software encryption without slowing down transfers too much for things like USB sticks. So I'd use software.

• I do not at all encrypt usb sticks. usb stick should be considered insecure due to diverse problems.

Thanked by 2default nulldev
  • frkfrk Member

I use Veracrypt to put sensitive information in containers before moving them around.

• Why encrypt an usb stick? It's meant to be portable and simple. Just keep it safe or hidden in a secret pocket if your life depends on it.

• @default said:
    Why encrypt an usb stick? It's meant to be portable and simple. Just keep it safe or hidden in a secret pocket if your life depends on it.

If your life depends on it and if a usb stick is the only available option then you should encrypt the relevant data, preferably on a different and reasonably secure device, and transfer those encrypted data to the usb stick.

In reality, however, the true reason to choose a usb stick is pretty much always "oh, they are so handy".

That said, truecrypt is probably a modestly reasonable choice for the OP. It has been checked by professionals and there seem to have been at least no major flaws.

• Honestly, encryption wise if you want cross platform you should look towards using BitLocker with a long key. You can use Bitlocker to Go on Fedora (and most other linux distros): http://grimhacker.com/2016/01/22/using-bitlocker-to-go-on-fedora-23-dislocker/

Personally I use linux as my daily driver, everything is Luks encrypted, I have a couple of USB pens between 16 and 64gb that are BitLocker encrypted.

• Ended up using veracrypt..once again xD