Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ServerPilot / EasyEngine Alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ServerPilot / EasyEngine Alternatives?

Hello,

Looking for a solution like ServerPilot/EasyEngine that will make it easier to install an optimized LEMP stack (or similar).

I don't want a GUI if possible and it should be as barebones/lightweight as possible.

Problems I have with the current options:

Serverpilot:

• Can't self-host. Don't want to be dependent on third party

EasyEngine:

• Not secure and doesn't even support multiple users. Has been an issue for over 2 years and the developers just don't care.

Want:
web API (not necessary, but nice)
CLI
Free
Lightweight
Open Source (preferable)

Any ideas? I've seen a couple LEMP setup scripts around here but can't remember and don't know if any of them are any good. Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Comments

• Could try out https://vpssim.com/ also thread on here about it. Works good for what it does.

• Forgot to mention I want itUbuntu based (or supported)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

On the lookout for something similar.

Centmin and VPSSIM seem a little bloated. Easyengine is a waste of time with its lack of basic features @Jonchun just mentioned above. Tuxlite hasn't been updated in years, and requires a bit of tweaking, post installation, to update packages and tighten the security a bit.

So, yeah, in case someone knows a decent alternative for Debian / Ubuntu systems and can share it with the rest of us, that'd be nice.

Thanked by 1Jonchun
  • FritzFritz Veteran

K4Y5 said: Centmin and VPSSIM seem a little bloated.

What kind of basic you want to achieve?

I think both of them are decent for most beginners.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2016

What do you mean when you say easyengine is not secure? It's just a stack, what part of the stack is installed with an insecure config?

• sonicsonic Veteran

Centminmod is great option.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Jonchun said: Forgot to mention I want itUbuntu based (or supported)

You. Bastard.

I mean, using the U-word...

• @jarland said:
    What do you mean when you say easyengine is not secure? It's just a stack, what part of the stack is installed with an insecure config?

For starters, try running more than one website on ee. Everything runs under the same user... And part of the entire reason I want a script/program like ee is so I can set up multiple websites quickly and easily .. Otherwise I would just do a standard lemp install... Get one site compromised your entire server is screwed. The lack of caring from the devs show they straight up don't care (you could argue this is almost a security bug and not an unimplemented feature)

@sonic said:

Its slow as hell when I used it. Also isn't Debian/Ubuntu based.

@raindog308 said:

Jonchun said: Forgot to mention I want itUbuntu based (or supported)

You. Bastard.

I mean, using the U-word...

after i moved off cpanel... I switched to the dark side... I'm sorry..m

• sonicsonic Veteran

Centmindmod slow? Are you sure? It takes long time to setup but it run fast, afaik.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2016

Jonchun said: For starters, try running more than one website on ee. Everything runs under the same user... And part of the entire reason I want a script/program like ee is so I can set up multiple websites quickly and easily .. Otherwise I would just do a standard lemp install... Get one site compromised your entire server is screwed. The lack of caring from the devs show they straight up don't care (you could argue this is almost a security bug and not an unimplemented feature)

Ah ok, got ya. To be clear though, a few points:

1. That's not an insecure script, that's you wanting an entirely different product.

2. You can't always just "run different sites as different users" just like that. It's not just a switch you flip, or a chown job. There are significant considerations here that change the entire structure of the product. Sure PHP-FPM makes this easier than say, mod-php, but there's more to this stack than just nginx+php-fpm. The packages they use cannot all be isolated in such a way within reason, the stack is not built to do what you're wanting it to do. For an example of that, spend some time researching the job of isolating memcached per user.

3. You shouldn't be running insecure code, or blaming anyone for it if you are.

EasyEngine was built for performance, not multi-user security and per-site isolation of insecure code. That's not a bug or a lack of caring, that's a choice. Choosing to do it differently would be a different choice that would lead the script down a different path. You shouldn't be so quick to insult them as insecure or uncaring simply because they're not willing to reduce performance features to meet your specific needs. They built something amazing and gave it to you for free. Ultimately, you are responsible for your web stack and your choices on what to host and where.

I say this all in the most friendly way.

• kaflokaflo Member

@Jonchun said:

@sonic said:

Its slow as hell when I used it.

@eva2000

• DeanDean Member

I switched from ServerPilot to Cloudways recently, works out much cheaper for me.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Jonchun said: Its slow as hell when I used it. Also isn't Debian/Ubuntu based.

Curious what was slow with centmin mod ? centmin mod is being used by some of the largest xenforo, vbulletin, ip.board based forums without problem. But not that it matters as you're looking at Debian/Ubuntu :)

jarland said: You can't always just "run different sites as different users" just like that. It's not just a switch you flip, or a chown job. There are significant considerations here that change the entire structure of the product. Sure PHP-FPM makes this easier than say, mod-php, but there's more to this stack than just nginx+php-fpm. The packages they use cannot all be isolated in such a way within reason, the stack is not built to do what you're wanting it to do.

Indeed it ain't that easy to do. I have a long term plan for centmin mod lemp stacks for jailed user/sites but it's definitely alot more work involved for both person developing code/automation wise (me) + continued work for end user as not all web apps and tech software will be able to in such a restricted environment + extra disk and memory resources in jailed environment per site and that will grow as you add more sites.

I had an old alpha quality internal code preview of how centmin mod jailed chroot would work at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/jailed-chrooted-sftp-ssh-user-nginx-vhost-menu.8/. Opting to support nginx vhost auto generation in several modes - existing non-jailed mode, SCP+SFTP only access (no SSH) or SSH+SCP+SFTP access modes. Still something way into the future. Focus now is getting latest centmin mod beta out as stable https://centminmod.com/changelog.html

Thanked by 2nocker jar
  • gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

Anyone?

• @gleert said:
    Anyone?

For now easy engine looks to be the only close solution

• FritzFritz Veteran

For me either EE or VPSSIM.

• @Jonchun You should try AnsiPress - https://github.com/AnsiPress/AnsiPress

Key Features:

• Almost all EE features (NGINX/PHP7/MariaDB/ setup)
    • Shared Hosting Model
    • Master PHP Processs per User
    • CentOS support will be added
    Thanked by 1danninov
  • vestacp maybe?

• @MiteshShah interesting project, that it'll be support laravel. In EE i should edit nginx conf on each domain, and if want to update LE should revert to default path first. but im happy with EE that im installed on most of my VPS.

but look like AnsiPress need to wait few months and more before its ready for production machine, right?

@MiteshShah Looks really nice! Will you be adding FTP? Most clients want/need FTP access...

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited March 2017

SFTP... stop FTP in 2017

• @andiklive said:
    @MiteshShah interesting project, that it'll be support laravel. In EE i should edit nginx conf on each domain, and if want to update LE should revert to default path first. but im happy with EE that im installed on most of my VPS.

but look like AnsiPress need to wait few months and more before its ready for production machine, right?

Glad to knwo you like my old project EE :)

AnsiPress currently on beta testing and we need to use AnsiPress few production server before make it stable release.

Mostly Next month AnsiPress will be ready to hit stable :)

• @gleert said:
    @MiteshShah Looks really nice! Will you be adding FTP? Most clients want/need FTP access...

AnsiPress created to provide security in mind.
    So No FTP support but you always use sFTP and/or SSH access.

Thanked by 1gleert
  • @Hxxx said:
    SFTP... stop FTP in 2017

Agree 100%

Thanked by 2gleert Hxxx

@MiteshShah seems like development of AnsiPress has stagnated....

Are you committed to this?

• @gleert said:
    @MiteshShah seems like development of AnsiPress has stagnated....

Are you committed to this?

@Gleert Last 2 week I'll be outside of town.
    But another developer still working on it
    Also for last week we focus on beta testing more so not more commits.

Refer - https://github.com/AnsiPress/AnsiPress/commits/feature/harshad/fail2ban

Also yesterday we had meetings and we had decided to focus on the following stuff first.

1. NGINX Redis Module
    2. Let's Encrypt Support
    3. Run quick test on Linode/DO/AWS servers

@Gleert If you want more inside progress join us on slack - http://ansipress.slack.com
    You can invite yourself on slack by - http://ansipress.herokuapp.com

• Gents If you are tested AnsiPress Beta version
    Let us know your finding like bugs,feature request etc

Its help us to focus on more important things first.

Thanks for helping us for beta testing.

• Not exactly what you asked.. but runcloud is like server pilot plus 100x more coolshit.

Thanked by 1runcloud_fikri

@cheapwebdev does runcloud offer SFTP/FTP?

• @gleert said:
    @cheapwebdev does runcloud offer SFTP/FTP?

SFTP

Thanked by 1gleert