Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.)

Comments

• Wow 1TB per day...yea, not a real option to offer that for free.

And yes, it's cost money to buy servers to test on.

For my part, people just have to accept slow download speeds (100mbit) if they want my two templates for free. If not, they know their options.

• ZealZeal Member

@myhken said:
    You say it's a donation, but you actually do sell a service. I understand that it's lot of work creating templates for all these hosts, and maintaining the templates. And to pay the bills. But just be honest about it, and just charge what ever amount for each template. (or each download?)

Of course, it's a little dilemma charging people for free Microsoft images.

Personally I'm for helping people on LET out with free templates. But of course, I do not create templates for every host out there like you, so I do not use much time on this. And I use my idle bandwidth on some of my VPSs and servers.
    I understand that it's a huge demand for this, for just the last month people has downloaded 1TB from my servers.

So good luck to you.

I think the donation is a great choice and reasonable.

• ihadpihadp Member

@myhken said:
    Wow 1TB per day...yea, not a real option to offer that for free.

For my part, people just have to accept slow download speeds (100mbit) if they want my two templates for free. If not, they know their options.

Yeah, it kind of got out of hand on me.

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: no, Scaleway cannot be supported at this time due to all their servers booting the kernel off the network

Do you get IPMI access or KVM, etc? if so you could get around that, if not then nvm

• Also do your templates have the RedHat KVM drivers integrated as well? That would allow them to work on ANY KVM-based VPS such as OVH's VPS 2015/16 range and more

• Also do your templates have the RedHat KVM drivers integrated as well? That would allow them to work on ANY KVM-based VPS such as OVH's VPS 2015/16 range and more

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited March 2017

IHaveADarkPassenger said: @myhken said: Wow 1TB per day...yea, not a real option to offer that for free.

I had over 25TB of downloads on my templates, I did use a $3 OVH VPS and the 100GB FTP/NFS backup storage so it was limited at 100mbps, OVH's unlimited bandwidth is so nice

• ethancedrik said: I had over 25TB of downloads on my templates, I did use a $3 OVH VPS and the 100GB FTP/NFS backup storage so it was limited at 100mbps, OVH's unlimited bandwidth is so nice

Can I ask why you stopped offering templates? (if you did stop)

• ihadpihadp Member

@ethancedrik said:
    Also do your templates have the RedHat KVM drivers integrated as well? That would allow them to work on ANY KVM-based VPS such as OVH's VPS 2015/16 range and more

Yes, the templates in the DigitalOcean guide include the VirtIO drivers and confirmed working on OVH SSD VPS product line.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Ikoula - Will add it to the list, but they should already be supported on their dedicated servers as long as they have a rescue mode.

Yes we have

• ihadpihadp Member

@Ikoula said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Ikoula - Will add it to the list, but they should already be supported on their dedicated servers as long as they have a rescue mode.

Yes we have

Feel free to donate a server to me so I can create a guide :P

• WSSWSS Member

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Feel free to donate a server to me so I can create a guide :P

Considering there really isn't a provider who wants people running stuff they didn't initially offer- I can't see anything but adulations from them for offering such a service.

Right up there with "Let me test your network to see if it's fast enough for shoe proxies Linux ISOs.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

WSS said: Considering there really isn't a provider who wants people running stuff they didn't initially offer- I can't see anything but adulations from them for offering such a service.

In fact it can happens, i answered because i am interested. On some promos we offered there was only one OS available some people on LET found a way to install their OS (like using dd etc..) but if someone wants to work on this to make it easier i might give him a hand.

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Feel free to donate a server to me so I can create a guide :P

We can consider your request if you follow the "official way", would you mind create a customer account and fill the form https://www.ikoula.com/en/ikoula-supports-your-projects ?

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: Yes, the templates in the DigitalOcean guide include the VirtIO drivers and confirmed working on OVH SSD VPS product line.

Hello, I tried your Windows Server 2012 R2 DataCenter template that I paid $5 for on my OVH SSD VPS 3 server, and what ever I do, Windows Server will not start.
    I have tried every repair option there is, and I only get:

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@myhken said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Yes, the templates in the DigitalOcean guide include the VirtIO drivers and confirmed working on OVH SSD VPS product line.

Hello, I tried your Windows Server 2012 R2 DataCenter template that I paid $5 for on my OVH SSD VPS 3 server, and what ever I do, Windows Server will not start.

Please create a thread in the forums on www.whatuptime.com providing the details from the sticky post.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Before anyone asks...no, Scaleway cannot be supported at this time due to all their servers booting the kernel off the network as opposed to the local drive.

Hint, hint: https://github.com/moul/scaleway-ipxe

• @myhken said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Yes, the templates in the DigitalOcean guide include the VirtIO drivers and confirmed working on OVH SSD VPS product line.

I actually got this on my own templates, OVH also changed /vda and /vdb to /sda and /sdb in the newly ordered VPSs (old renewed ones still are vda and vdb) so that may be why, I'm working on remaking my own 2012 R2 template just to get that working on one

• @myhken said:

ethancedrik said: I had over 25TB of downloads on my templates, I did use a $3 OVH VPS and the 100GB FTP/NFS backup storage so it was limited at 100mbps, OVH's unlimited bandwidth is so nice

Can I ask why you stopped offering templates? (if you did stop)

I still do via their old links, I have been meaning to update them as a lot of people have reported the 2016 one as not working (default login says incorrect), but I haven't gotten around to fixing them and adding some newly requested ones like Hyper-V server. I will probably make a new thread with all the links, etc when I get the time.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • ethancedrik said: OVH also changed /vda and /vdb to /sda and /sdb in the newly ordered VPSs (old renewed ones still are vda and vdb) so that may be why

I use the following ending when downloading the templates on the OVH VPS: dd of=/dev/sdb but it do still not work.
    I have tried both Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016.

I have also updated my own template with all virtio drivers for 2012R2, but it do not work either.

• ZealZeal Member

How do you know to use /vda, /vdb, /sda, or /sdb

• ZealZeal Member

So windows is possible?

@deadbeef said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Before anyone asks...no, Scaleway cannot be supported at this time due to all their servers booting the kernel off the network as opposed to the local drive.

Hint, hint: https://github.com/moul/scaleway-ipxe

• Zeal said: How do you know to use /vda, /vdb, /sda, or /sdb

I check with df -h in rescue mode. There you can see where you have the most free space. On dedicated servers it's normally sda, but on OVH VPS it's sdb.

• @Zeal said:
    How do you know to use /vda, /vdb, /sda, or /sdb

running "lsblk" in recovery mode and it'll say /dev/vdb or /dev/sdb

• @myhken said:

ethancedrik said: OVH also changed /vda and /vdb to /sda and /sdb in the newly ordered VPSs (old renewed ones still are vda and vdb) so that may be why

I use the following ending when downloading the templates on the OVH VPS: dd of=/dev/sdb but it do still not work.
    I have tried both Server 2012 R2 and Server 2016.

I have also updated my own template with all virtio drivers for 2012R2, but it do not work either.

that's strange, I'm going to play around with it myself as well and hopefully find a solution to get it working, maybe copying the bootloader and then sda1 images separately or something

Thanked by 1myhken
  • HadrielHadriel Member
    edited March 2017

Are you downloading the template in the beta folder? I think it's the DO template.

• ihadpihadp Member

Hi Guys,

I have confirmed the Windows templates which were previously working on OVH SSD VPS are no longer operational. Earlier on when I was building the templates I had multiple people confirm everything was working for them, but apparently something has changed causing the templates to fail on boot.

I have purchased a new SSD VPS from OVH presently and will be troubleshooting further to see if I can figure out what has changed preventing them from booting.

As it stands now it seems like their may be corruption once the template has been DD'd to the virtual disk...

edited March 2017

I hope they didn't somehow implement something to prevent Windows from being booted on their SSD range, although that is most likely impossible. I'm playing around with it too

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@ethancedrik said:
    I hope they didn't somehow implement something to prevent Windows from being booted on their SSD range, although that is most likely impossible. I'm playing around with it too

Presently I am trying to track down what is causing the blue screen error "inaccessible boot device" as I believe it is going to be the underlying culprit here.

After attempting to boot Windows on the VPS I booted back into recovery mode and even though Windows is attempting to boot no logs are being written to the disk at all.

Nothing is C:\Windows\Logs or C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs

To that end, I purposely wipe out the above log locations when creating my templates so when you troubleshoot you can see the fresh logs.

All in all, I don't think Windows has write access to the vdisk.

--

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53555-solved-inaccessible_boot_device-force-stop-breaks-windows-10-vm/

User there noted it wax experiencing the issue due to incorrect VirtIO drivers.

--

The machine I use for template building is presently huffing and puffing on another project, however it should be completed within the next 48 hours.

Once it has completed the current work load I will build a new template with the assumption there is an issue with the current embedded VirtIO disk drivers.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@ethancedrik said:

Presently I am trying to track down what is causing the blue screen error "inaccessible boot device" as I believe it is going to be the underlying culprit here.

After attempting to boot Windows on the VPS I booted back into recovery mode and even though Windows is attempting to boot no logs are being written to the disk at all.

Nothing is C:\Windows\Logs or C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs

To that end, I purposely wipe out the above log locations when creating my templates so when you troubleshoot you can see the fresh logs.

All in all, I don't think Windows has write access to the vdisk.

--

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53555-solved-inaccessible_boot_device-force-stop-breaks-windows-10-vm/

User there noted it wax experiencing the issue due to incorrect VirtIO drivers.

--

The machine I use for template building is presently huffing and puffing on another project, however it should be completed within the next 48 hours.

Once it has completed the current work load I will build a new template with the assumption there is an issue with the current embedded VirtIO disk drivers.

Yeah, if I had the money I'd order an OVH Windows VPS and try and take that and put it on an SSD (I've done this in the past and cloudbase-init has to be uninstalled), thanks for the very helpful info though

edited March 2017

I also noticed my VPS erroring when going into rescue mode, I've had this happen multiple times

only seems to happen on these new VPSs I've ordered and I have to wait a little while for an OVH tech to fix it and manually put it into rescue mode