Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much was the maximim RAM ever you got in VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much was the maximim RAM ever you got in VPS?

Go59954Go59954 Member
edited August 2011 in General

Hi!

For me, got 1 GB in OpenVZ and that was around 2 years ago. Provider is in dead pool now btw! But I didn't use more than 600 MB as I can recall, even though I had many useless process running and also Apache not optimized.
Second was 1 GB also for short period from HostRail (Fail), I discontinued before their "destruction"!

It's worth mentioning that 1 GB of RAM let me rest in relax much much more than anything below 512, using Apache. It simply has enough room for sizable amount of connections/anything.

And what about others?

Comments

• ztecztec Member

4GB OpenVZ

• 8GB OpenVZ @ IPAP (don't got it anymore)

• Our hosting DNS VPS'es each have 2 gigs. They're not LEBs though.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

4GB RAM OpenVZ and a 3GB guaranteed 6GB burstable RAM OpenVZ. I still have 'em both but they are used for my webhost. And I don't pay ;)

• Thanks! I thought why would anyone use more than 1-2 GB, for other than shared hosting providers?!

• My minecraft server has 2gb guaranteed and 2.5gb burst ram.

• xprotoceptxprotocept Member
    edited August 2011

@Infinity where do u got ur VPS from?

• 1.5/2gb with Kiloserve

• 4GB RAM (3GB Guaranteed and 1GB Burstable)

• Currently having a 6GB Citrix XenServer box with 300GB disk space (6 vCPU of E5620, pretty fast RAID10 IO). Thinking of upgrading to a dedicated server though. Another provider is offering me 8GB E3-1245 with 2x 15k RPM SAS drives at around the same price. Good offer?

• LowEndAdmin said: Currently having a 6GB Citrix XenServer box with 300GB disk space (6 vCPU of E5620, pretty fast RAID10 IO). Thinking of upgrading to a dedicated server though. Another provider is offering me 8GB E3-1245 with 2x 15k RPM SAS drives at around the same price. Good offer?

If you mean a VPS with Sandy, probably you can get a trial and check =P

• I would get the dedi if it's around the same price.

edited August 2011

Go59954 said: Thanks! I thought why would anyone use more than 1-2 GB, for other than shared hosting providers?!

We need some expansion space for times, at times we do reach 3GB. The 6GB burst came with no extra cost.

As for the 4GB DirectAdmin server, I don't need that much, just nice to have it. As long as I'm not paying, I don't really care. John pay's ;)

xprotocept said: @Infinity where do u got ur VPS from?

The 3/6GB one is from IonVM, the 4GB German one is from a friend.

• The highest RAM vm I ever had was a 512MB at Ramhost. :) And that's 512MB BURST!

• LowEndAdmin said: Another provider is offering me 8GB E3-1245 with 2x 15k RPM SAS drives at around the same price. Good offer?

Depending on the monthly cost, it might be cheaper overall to purchase a box in the US and colo it depended on the term you expect to use it.

E3-1270/16GB/4x500GB sata raid 10 with 3ware 9650 can be built for $1600 and good colo found for under $100/mo, cheap colo under $50.

• The most RAM I ever had in a VPS was 1GB at a Virtuozzo based VPS @hosteurope.de

{Kinda Offtopic}Any idea how I can use a spare 3GB of RAM up?{/Kinda Offtopic}

• My biggest server was a 3GB Xen PV box.

@Infinity run an app based on Rails or Django and migrate youre databases to Redis or CouchDB.

@thekreek Hehe, yeah, but I want something fun and interesting lol.

• miTgiB said: Depending on the monthly cost, it might be cheaper overall to purchase a box in the US

Thanks for the suggestion. However in my case

• The VPS I got is not in US but close to where most my visitors come from. Dedicated server I would get should be in the same city as well. Bandwidth is unfortunately the most expensive component in the whole pricing (and I am not even talking about terabytes). My whole stack uses ~700MB memory, but the only reason I got a 6GB VPS is the amount of data came with it.
    • I am just a developer of 2-persons startup at the moment. Building boxes and monitoring them is definitely not my competency nor my priority, which is why I much prefer a VPS. I colo'ed a box in my previous startup before, and that was a disaster (one of the CPU fans suddenly malfunctioned, burnt the Opteron, took ages for the hardware provider to supply a replacement, and plus all the time wasted travelling in and out of DC).

I'll leave that to the experts for now :)

@Infinity - just look at hosting some apps running on the Java stack. Zimbra? Wave-in-a-box?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2011

The most RAM I've ever purchased in a VPS is 768MB. The most RAM I've ever needed in a server was 1GB but that was only because I was hosting 1400+ clients on cPanel when I was running a free web hosting company.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited August 2011

I colo'ed a box in my previous startup before, and that was a disaster (one of the CPU fans suddenly malfunctioned, burnt the Opteron, took ages for the hardware provider to supply a replacement, and plus all the time wasted travelling in and out of DC).

Just regarding that part I might suggest that with current hardware you will have no much worry as before, for CPU temperatures/cooling, since the 32nm CPU architecture incredibly reduced both power consumed and heat revealed by CPUs. Bad luck exists though under any case :D

• Infinity said: @thekreek Hehe, yeah, but I want something fun and interesting lol.

Redis is interesting ¬_¬

You want fun, put a minecrap server

• (2X) 4GB Xen VPSes for Shared / Reseller clients, though it's our node so not renting this anywhere.

For personal usage, I don't think I've needed more than 512-768mb before.

• 2 GB VPS from kiloserv

• 256 MB guaranteed/ 11GB burstable on a Swiss vps from Hostrail, now in the dead pool.

• LowEndAdmin said: Currently having a 6GB Citrix XenServer box with 300GB disk space (6 vCPU of E5620, pretty fast RAID10 IO). Thinking of upgrading to a dedicated server though. Another provider is offering me 8GB E3-1245 with 2x 15k RPM SAS drives at around the same price. Good offer?

Are disks local or over network?

• Going off topic here but @lowendadmin it kinda depends a lot.. I mean, I'd take less specs on XenServer for live migration/redundancy or something, but it's not really an apples to apples comparison

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited September 2011

@Keith: bwahaha and I was wondering why they are in dead pool, while they where offering 256mb guaranteed with 11 GB burst!!

@KuJoe: That is a great number, did you use Nginx or Lighthttpd? Or was hosted using Apache?!