Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Microsoft Windows Templates (DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc.)

ihadpihadp Member
edited March 2017 in General

Hi Guys,

As many of you are aware, I have been building templates allowing Microsoft Windows to be easily installed onto servers from DigitalOcean, Kimsufi, OVH, Online.net, etc. and making them available via my website: www.whatuptime.com.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time as of late to dedicate to expanding template compatibility nor write new tutorials for additional server providers.

Over the coming weeks I should have more time which I can dedicate to the templates, however before I kick everything back into gear I would like to get feedback from everyone.

So...

Where would you like me to concentrate my efforts in the coming weeks?

--

Presently my templates are known to support the following.

• DigitalOcean Droplets
  • Kimsufi
  • OVH (Dedicated Servers + SSD VPS)
  • Online.net (Personal Range + All other Dedicated Servers)
  • Vultr
  • Intel based Dedicated Servers (Should work on all Intel CPU dedicated servers with DHCP IP addressing or KVM access to assign IP after Windows is installed)

--

Before anyone asks...no, Scaleway cannot be supported at this time due to all their servers booting the kernel off the network as opposed to the local drive.

Comments

• Adding support for Linode/RamNode will be great :)

Thanked by 1DewlanceVPS
  • ZealZeal Member

1 Can you do arubacloud please? I would definitely support it.

2 Contabo has a rescue system, would I use online net method? Though no one is ever happy about them. :(

3 What about ikoula and netcup?

Nice work so far.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • ihadpihadp Member

@sanvit said:
    Adding support for Linode/RamNode will be great :)

Linode should be possible already, however I haven't ever tried to confirm.

The only issue I see with Linode is at least a portion of their servers are Xen powered which I don't have any plans to even attempt to expand compatibility to include. The templates should already work on their KVM powered systems; only real question is if they have a rescue mode.

RamNode...hmmm

• ZealZeal Member
    edited March 2017

I do know scale way works with proxmox and windows on inside, excluding their aram. Then, you could setup something like hamachi to rdp. Scaleways pricing really be good though.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

RamNode has Windows templates for their VPS, plus I'm almost certain you can request an ISO to be mounted anyways, not sure the point, unless I'm missing something.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@Zeal said:

1 Can you do arubacloud please? I would definitely support it.

2 Contabo has a rescue system, would I use online net method? Though no one is ever happy about them. :(

3 What about ikoula and netcup?

Nice work so far.

Aruba Cloud - Possible, however as they are VMWare powered they would need their own set of templates. I also haven't touched VMWare in years so that would be something I would have to get back into and find a spare server to install it on.

Contabo - As long as they have a rescue mode you should be able to use the templates from my Online.net guide, however I have no experience with them so I cannot say for certain.

Ikoula - Will add it to the list, but they should already be supported on their dedicated servers as long as they have a rescue mode.

Netcup - No idea.

• ihadpihadp Member

@Zeal said:
    I do know scale way works with proxmox and windows on inside, excluding their aram. Then, you could setup something like hamachi to rdp. Scaleways pricing really be good though.

Doesn't Proxmox run its own kernel?

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@MikeA said:
    RamNode has Windows templates for their VPS, plus I'm almost certain you can request an ISO to be mounted anyways, not sure the point, unless I'm missing something.

In that case I wouldn't likely spend time to support them specifically. As long as they have a rescue mode/boot live linux ISO and are KVM based you can already use the templates from my DigitalOcean guide.

• Zeal said: 3 What about ikoula and netcup?

Netcup officially supports Windows installs:
    https://www.netcup-wiki.de/wiki/Windows_Installation

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited March 2017

to get templates working on contabo requires some quite custom work. ( i have already done this)

• ihadpihadp Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    to get templates working on contabo requires some quite custom work. ( i have already done this)

Link to more info by chance?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited March 2017

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Link to more info by chance?

it's my personal templates.

basically u gotta inject the virtio + and configure the lan properly.

and sometimes edit the CPU type on the template (nehalem) this only happens on the i7 nodes though, had no such issue on the E5 one.

• ihadpihadp Member

@TarZZ92 said:

IHaveADarkPassenger said: Link to more info by chance?

it's my personal templates.

basically u gotta inject the virtio + and configure the lan properly.

and sometimes edit the CPU type on the template (nehalem) this only happens on the i7 nodes though, had no such issue on the E5 one.

VirtIO drivers already exist in the templates, so that should be a non-issue there.

As to the LAN, would you mind elaborating more?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited March 2017

IHaveADarkPassenger said: As to the LAN, would you mind elaborating more?

Sometimes it wont boot (the network wont work) on the virtio one ( don't ask me why) i just install both of them/

• zetservers.com maybe?

• ihadpihadp Member

@Hadriel said:
    zetservers.com maybe?

Unfortunately not, they are a Xen based provider.

• ZealZeal Member

@TarZZ92 said:

Yeah, contabo would be great.

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Hadriel said:
    zetservers.com maybe?

Bummer. Netherlands based is what I was looking for. Maybe i3d servers?

• ihadpihadp Member

@Hadriel said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Hadriel said:
    zetservers.com maybe?

@Hadriel said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@Hadriel said:
    zetservers.com maybe?

Damn, their Cloud is expensive.

Will look more into them, their dedicated servers should already work.

• Oh don't do cloud if you think dedicated works. What about world stream?

• ihadpihadp Member

@Hadriel said:
    Oh don't do cloud if you think dedicated works. What about world stream?

They are just regular dedicated servers, templates should already work.

• windytime90windytime90 Member
    edited March 2017

I can even install Windows on all kvm vps without asking for mounting iso image (much easier and faster). Xen is also supported. Pm me.

• HxxxHxxx Member

I would advise against using any customized windows templates. Perfect opportunity to get pwn/hacked.

• 》》www.whatuptime.com
    While browsing ur article, it request donation, how much is enough ?

• WHTWHT Member

on https://joodle.nl seems easier.

• Is nobody going to mention that the templates require a donation?

• IHaveADarkPassenger said: Can you do arubacloud please?

They already have Windows but for additional fee. Guess they will not allow install own Windows on their VPS at all.

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited March 2017

@jameshsi said:
    》》www.whatuptime.com
    While browsing ur article, it request donation, how much is enough ?

It's $5 USD.

All donations go to cover the servers, bandwidth, etc. that are required to both make the templates and release them for download.

@WHT said:
    on https://joodle.nl seems easier.

Would you mind elaborating? Anything I can do to make things easier is very much of interest to me.

@taro222 said:
    Is nobody going to mention that the templates require a donation?

What about it?

@Hxxx said:
    I would advise against using any customized windows templates. Perfect opportunity to get pwn/hacked.

This is a good point, however I can assure you I am not doing anything "funny" to the Windows installation nor adding anything that isn't necessary to enable the installation to work.

Feel free to download a template and scour it.

• You say it's a donation, but you actually do sell a service. I understand that it's lot of work creating templates for all these hosts, and maintaining the templates. And to pay the bills. But just be honest about it, and just charge what ever amount for each template. (or each download?)

Of course, it's a little dilemma charging people for free Microsoft images.

Personally I'm for helping people on LET out with free templates. But of course, I do not create templates for every host out there like you, so I do not use much time on this. And I use my idle bandwidth on some of my VPSs and servers.
    I understand that it's a huge demand for this, for just the last month people has downloaded 1TB from my servers.

So good luck to you.

• ihadpihadp Member

@myhken said:
    You say it's a donation, but you actually do sell a service. I understand that it's lot of work creating templates for all these hosts, and maintaining the templates. And to pay the bills. But just be honest about it, and just charge what ever amount for each template. (or each download?)

Of course, it's a little dilemma charging people for free Microsoft images.

Personally I'm for helping people on LET out with free templates. But of course, I do not create templates for every host out there like you, so I do not use much time on this. And I use my idle bandwidth on some of my VPSs and servers.
    I understand that it's a huge demand for this, for just the last month people has downloaded 1TB from my servers.

So good luck to you.

I appreciate your feedback, I really do.

The donation system in place on my website is a new addition; one driven out of necessity due to the volume of downloads and increasing costs of leasing servers (hourly & monthly) for use in making the templates themselves.

Prior to me adding the donation system I was delivering over 1TB of template downloads each day. As the demand grew I really only had two choices, shut down the downloads or drive enough money to cover the growing costs...I opted for covering the costs.

Leasing cloud & dedicated servers to perform testing is also adding up, especially since a number of the vendors I have been testing/using have kinda steep setup fees.

Thanked by 1WSS