Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map VPSes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Map VPSes

Hi,
There was a thread about a week ago where a guy had all his VPS servers mapped onto a, errrr, map. I thought it looked really good so this evening I sat down to workout how he did it, unfortunately the page now 404's. I have had a bit of a hack about with Google maps and IPInfodb, but to no avail.

My basic plan was to feed a string of IPs into the Google / IPInfodb and have it all looking lovely by diner time. This has not worked out as I had planned and I am now more frustrated than mapped up.

Is this something any of you have done? Any pointers? (Most of the scripts seem to be from 2011, I don't know why people gave up mapping then!)

Thanks!

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

You could lookup the geolocation of the IPs (assuming they are correct) and then perhaps using the google maps geocoding API to get the long / lat to place it on a map?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've done cheesy things like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_9Etq7Nqng0OaD5MfgPed-dejuw&usp=sharing

But that's just searching for cities and adding icons. Still, I did think the Vultr vulture and the DO faucet I did were pretty cool... @jarland

• carcosacarcosa Member
    edited March 2017

Use google maps as the basemap and add the lat/long as points to the map individually or make a CSV or Spreadsheet with the info and upload it.

For some IPs when you try and do a geoloaction search it will just bring you to the parent hosting company, some ips may not be geolocated correctly so a search may not give you the correct location.

Here is a screenshot of the map i created with undersea cables added =D

• WSSWSS Member

Which cable is the one that washed up on Gilligan's Island?

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3
  • You can do it with Observium too.

https://gyazo.com/5f2809738a4def2b92d5d7825a6268d5 (my map)

• carcosacarcosa Member
    edited March 2017

@WSS Gilli3 Fiber and the DC runs off pure green energy

• WSSWSS Member

@carcosa Ever notice that they sure packed a lot of stuff for a three hour tour?

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    You could lookup the geolocation of the IPs (assuming they are correct) and then perhaps using the google maps geocoding API to get the long / lat to place it on a map?

Yeah that's what I am trying to do at the moment, although a list in a CSV to google maps seems to be the easiest at the moment... I guess I don't buy that many VPSes... oh..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

I just put marks manually on the map but I always try to find the DCs actual street address, it's fun to check out what the building is like in Google Earth on street view.

Just trusting IP geolocation with low precision only down to a city and tons of mistakes, seems lame.

• Guess it was more about automation that accuracy. :) I guess DC address is a better locator though, could still automate it... maybe.

• Ended up doing a CSV with the DCs in. Thanks all.