Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have a bizarre request for a simple self-hosted shopping cart
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have a bizarre request for a simple self-hosted shopping cart

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I run a pen-and-paper role-playing game for my daughter (I use Microlite). She's not big on the combat so much as all the other stuff - talking with characters, exploring, solving puzzles, etc.

She has a big in-game shopping trip coming up (won a lot of loot, now is going to the Big Town to stock up). Coincidentally, I'm going to be traveling for a few days, so I thought I'd set up a shopping cart on a web site, create some "products" with clip art (entries from the equipment list and special stuff), give her some discounts and promo codes, set the currency to gold pieces, and let her shop away.

At her age, the fun of shopping outweighs the fact that they don't have web sites in the middle ages.

Anyway, looking for a super-simple shopping cart. I've never used any:

• free
  • something that works on typical shared hosting
  • allows pictures for products, maybe categories
  • I can deal with currency
  • should have the ability to put stuff on sale, add some coupons or promos, etc.
  • I have less than a week so looking for something that looks passable out of the box - I'll just slap on a quick Photoshop'd logo or something but no intent to get into CSS, etc. If there's a choice of free themes, that's great but not necessary.
Thanked by 1deadbeef

Comments

• oscommerce?

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

If you don't need it long term - Shopify free trial would be my pick.

If you want it for more than a couple weeks, I've played with WooCommerce which runs on top of WP. Pain in the ass if you're running an actual ecommerce site, but free and fairly easy to setup/get going on.

Thanked by 1Four20
  • I'm just leaving this here.

• Opencart. Simply php and mysql :D

• @willie said:
    oscommerce?

2000 called. They want their shopping cart back.

Thanked by 4eastonch Hxxx Four20 GCat
  • @serverian said:

@willie said:
    oscommerce?

2000 called. They want their shopping cart back.

For a web shop during the middle-ages, 2000 is pretty futuristic.

Thanked by 3raindog308 GCat WSS
  • HxxxHxxx Member

Put woocommerce on that. Simple and powerful shopping cart.

• CoreyCorey Member

+1 Opencart

• Opencart is the best, and easy to config and set-up.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Hxxx said:

That not actually a bad idea, sure you get the bloat of WP, but it makes it SUPER simple to get up and running in no time at all.

• +1 for WooCommerce.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@Hxxx said:

That not actually a bad idea, sure you get the bloat of WP, but it makes it SUPER simple to get up and running in no time at all.

Will you stop spreading the cancer? Half of the internet is on WP as is.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@serverian said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@Hxxx said:

Still some to convert over to WP.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • varunchopravarunchopra Member
    edited March 2017

@serverian said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@Hxxx said:

You sound upset. Why shouldn't OP use Woocommerce for this? It sounds perfect. Not to mention the number of themes and plugins he can get for free.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Four20
  • @varunchopra said:
    You sound upset.

The funny thing is that he really believes all that crap :D

serverian said: Will you stop spreading the cancer? Half of the internet is on WP as is.

Thanked by 3varunchopra Hxxx GCat
  • @varunchopra said:

@serverian said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@Hxxx said:

You sound upset. Why shouldn't OP use Woocommerce for this? It sounds perfect. Not to mention the number of themes and plugins he can get for free.

Quite the contrary, I'm cheerful. I just don't like people coming up with the idea of using WP for everything.

I see a lot of compromised servers attacking others, sending email spam, doing comment spam due to WP being widely used and terribly coded. Just looking at its code makes me nauseous. Every Tom, Dick and Harry can code a "plugin" for it since it's dead simply to do so and that ends up being a ton of vulnerable stuff on public, ready to be exploited.

In this case, there are a ton of good real shopping cart software around. If people start using them more, they'd get better and we would have more variety.

But hey, nobody cares, right?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2017

@serverian said:
    Every Tom, Dick and Harry can code a "plugin" for it since it's dead simply to do so and that ends up being a ton of vulnerable stuff on public, ready to be exploited.

#ExploitedWPplugins on Chaturbate et al must be having a blast.

Well to be fair, raindog is not just anyone, he knows what he is doing, and this is for a quick little short term project for his daughter, and that was why I suggested it, not to build an empire on.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Well to be fair, raindog is not just anyone, he knows what he is doing, and this is for a quick little short term project for his daughter, and that was why I suggested it, not to build an empire on.

It's DnD so empire building may actually take place (all hail Queen Rain).

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @AnthonySmith said:

I know. I was just tilting at windmills. My simple suggestions here won't fix anything :)

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

This makes me want to start working on my RPG plugin for MyBB again (character sheets, stores, dice rolling, etc...). :D

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • wordpress wpecommerce

• There are some drupal ones. I'm not sure which decade those are from.

• WSSWSS Member

Seconding OSCommerce. Since it's a personal project (and likely unadvertised), it'll be simple for you to setup, and even create your own homerolled credit system. For what you want, it seems like a perfect fit.

• Surprised that no one mentioned PrestaShop. I have used this in the past and found it easy to setup a basic storefront. You can also download ready to use VM, Docker, Openstack images here and host it locally or on a small VPS.

Also most shared hosting providers have Prestashop as an installable option via Softaculous.

Thanked by 1arda
  • ardaarda Member

+1 for prestashop.

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited March 2017

Whatever you choose, pls don't consider Magento for such a small cart system. Alot of people make the mistake... only do it if you want to use the Enterprise features of Magento. ( it is a Kickass Cart though)