Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDU email
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDU email

I have seen many offers and blog posts online which offer EDU emails for sale.
I am wondering how these guys get their hands over EDU tld, or get these email accounts from?
Because as far as i know, only certified educational institutes can have a EDU/ AC.xx tld.

Comments

• if any of you know any edu promotions please don't hesitate to mention here.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

They [Educause] can and does appear to take down such domains.

In accordance with procedures approved by the U.S. Department of Commerce, EDUCAUSE is required to put domains that have not completed the renewal process or are in violation of domain policy on hold.

Pavin.

• mailcheap said: s required to put domains that have not completed the renewal process

"completed the renewal process" means paying the $40 yearly fee. So nothing special.

• TionTion Member

Some schools give users an email on their .edu domain without completing the application for courses.

• The local state college here, you can pay the application fee to become a student and don't sign up for classes to get an .edu email.

I dropped out like ~15 years ago and checked out the site since this thread got my curiosity going. My account is still valid, I recovered my account and they reset my password.

• I have many. i can sell:)

• r0xzr0xz Member

@56gomez said:
    I have many. i can sell:)

who are you? school headmaster?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

When you buy one of these accounts, it's not like you're getting harvard.edu. They're generally small schools, big mass market schools, online schools, etc. which have holes in their registration/signup processes.

• LunarLunar Member

Yea just go to your local community college, register and you'll get an email account usually. I still have mine and I only took a few classes.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2017

@raindog308 said:
    it's not like you're getting harvard.edu.

If you're willing to fork ~$2k, you can get one of those... but you won't get your money's worth from the email address, so...

• @raindog308 brings up a good point. Not all .edu accounts are created equal.

As an example, there are many .edu accounts that can't be used for Amazon Prime or other student promotions. Oftentimes only the "primary" email domain "@university.edu" will work (and not "@dept.university.edu"). The companies work with antifraud companies to decide which email addresses to accept.

• @goinsj2010 said:
    @raindog308 brings up a good point. Not all .edu accounts are created equal.

As an example, there are many .edu accounts that can't be used for Amazon Prime or other student promotions. Oftentimes only the "primary" email domain "@university.edu" will work (and not "@dept.university.edu"). The companies work with antifraud companies to decide which email addresses to accept.

Everyone who uses automation leverages this: https://github.com/leereilly/swot - you too can check if the specific email address is going to be accepted or not based on the ruleset there.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @Tion said:
    Some schools give users an email on their .edu domain without completing the application for courses.

Can you name any?

• hicohico Member

I bought one on fiverr.com

• easyeasy Member

vccs

• @Tion said:

Can you name any of these college websites?

• bapbap Member

Hm... Edu mail (promo) temptation...

• @rishish98 said:

@Tion said:

Can you name any of these college websites?

http://bfy.tw/Ak0x

• Never felt the need for .Edu email but this post got me curious. I was able to obtain one in 15 minutes. I contacted them to better secure their subscription process afterwards and closed the account. Nice way to kill some spare time though.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Saragoldfarb said: Never felt the need for .Edu email but this post got me curious. I was able to obtain one in 15 minutes. I contacted them to better secure their subscription process afterwards and closed the account. Nice way to kill some spare time though.

I wonder if these institutions know. It's one thing to stop the junior help desk person at East Tennessee State who has account creation power as part of his job and decides to make a few bucks on the side...but I think those are tiny. But how many freakin' accounts has Maricopa Community College created? More than the entire population of Arizona.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@doughmanes said:
    The local state college here, you can pay the application fee to become a student and don't sign up for classes to get an .edu email.

I dropped out like ~15 years ago and checked out the site since this thread got my curiosity going. My account is still valid, I recovered my account and they reset my password.

I just checked my old university account and it is still existing... 17 years after I left. But I feel no urge to recover it. The address had "studbox" in it, which might make sense in german, but international contacts always reacted a bit irritated... ;-)

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • WSSWSS Member

@Amitz said:
    I just checked my old university account and it is still existing... 17 years after I left. But I feel no urge to recover it. The address had "studbox" in it, which might make sense in german, but international contacts always reacted a bit irritated... ;-)

Thanked by 1Amitz