Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My new KVM Spider is stuck
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My new KVM Spider is stuck

Hello,

I have bought a SLS200 Spider from Lantronix on eBay. It was sold as 'new'. When I connected everything my ESXi machine, it worked fine. After 2 hours, I tried logging in again. I can login and also access the KVM Java Console. I just can't control the server anymore. No keyboard actions were registered, even when I press F2. It seems the spider is completely stuck. Resetting the Unit is not enough. I literally have to unplug and plug the USB cables again. Which is not the point of buying such a Spider, then...

Any clues?

Thanks,
Dennis

Comments

• I recall issues with Lantronix Spiders in similar situations as a customer when Datashack/WSI provided them

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Buy a server with IPMI/KVM built in. That usually works better :).

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2017

Oh god. I hated those Lantronix KVMs... good luck is all I can say.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • I know enough. Time for return and refund. I bought it under eBays Buyer Protection and the seller takes up to 30 days money back guarantee.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • There should be also "reset USB hub" or something like that in the menus. Try it.

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

I think it is safer to return asap. Reason is that this could be a sign of failing but you can try to flash it with the new firmware.

My experience:
    I have 5 unit in used for older servers without DRAC and this is helpful at times. But I do have 2 unit went dead out of the sudden without any reason.

• @rds100 said:
    There should be also "reset USB hub" or something like that in the menus. Try it.

I have done so. Doesn't change a thing. :-((

• MalinMalin Member

Bad USB ports maybe? I'd assume it's leaking power somewhere and the USB connection does not get enough.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

+1 On some machines there not enough usb power to transmit keyboard commands correctly. Have a look to the kvm you should have a power plug to add an external power supply/AC adapter.

Thanked by 2Falzo doughmanes
  • Unfortunately I don't come with a solution, I've only ever been plagued with problems with those KVM Spiders. Try another USB hub, perhaps if the mobo has any specific ones for input devices that may be more appropriate.

Power cycling the spider should also fix it. Be sure to close out sessions where possible and apply any updates that may exist for the device...

• @Ikoula said:
    +1 On some machines there not enough usb power to transmit keyboard commands correctly. Have a look to the kvm you should have a power plug to add an external power transformer.

Thank you, I have done so yesterday. The problem kept existing. Now I figured ESXi has a power saving option that is on 'Balanced' by default. I disabled it. The engineer from Lantronix pointed out that the server might disable USB after a while, and that the spider (that of course is USB) can not send any commands anymore. I will try again. :)

Mmmm in that case did you check BIOS settings ?

• @Ikoula said:
    Mmmm in that case did you check BIOS settings ?

Yes. USB is set on Legacy. I couldn't find anything that involves a timer.. FYI: I have an ASRock Z77 Pro3 Motherboard.

Can you disable some of usb ports. For example front usb and keep only back usb ?

• Plug a regular mechanical USB keyboard. If the USB ports are getting disabled for some reason, the real USB keyboard should stop working too.

• Ok. I got it working, I guess. One other problem: when I mount an ISO over KVM, I can not use the keyboard via KVM anymore. It just freezes. Any idea's?

just pmed you maybe some missing driver makes the OS freeze when you mount an ISO.