Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell Hosting To Local Companies?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sell Hosting To Local Companies?

I'm setting up to sell hosting to companies in my area so they have local support. Just I currently manage all my own clients on my VPS and use cloudflare for DNS. Just wondered if I should setup my own DNS & name servers, what would be the best way to go about this?

Never sold hosting before. Thanks

Comments

• I always like to use offsite DNS. Used DNSMadeEasy almost ten years now. Better then using your own system.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited March 2017

cPanel + cPanel DNS Only installs. I've got 3 768mb VPS servers with HostUS in LA, Dallas, WDC/Ashburn serving up DNS. Everybody has been happy. No issues except migration related known issues with cPanel such as resetting DNS zone and updating IP from time to time.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • n1kkon1kko Member

@raindog308 said:
    Does your wife know about these plans?

Well... funny you mentioned that as she just actually asked me what I was doing as I'm laid in bed on my laptop while she watches TV. Just told her to mind her own LOL

Thanked by 1netomx
  • IshaqIshaq Member

@n1kko said: Just told her to mind her own LOL

Are you on the sofa now?

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited March 2017

@Ishaq said:

@n1kko said: Just told her to mind her own LOL

Are you on the sofa now?

She's a little mardy :( maybe because she's at work at 5am!

• raindog308 said: Does your wife know about these plans?

LOOL thats a crazy poll

• I have a Powerdns cluster setup for the same purposes. Works great for me. Never ran into DNS issues after I set up my own.Ofcource it comes with some maintenance but it'll be worth it.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • n1kkon1kko Member

Was hoping to avoid running more servers as I need to concentrate on other things.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

CloudFlare + BuyShared + MXRoute

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • It's not really that big of a problem to run 2 DNS servers from reputable providers.

Plus who uses CloudFlare still after that last incident?

cPanel DNS only runs itself and is integrated into the cluster. VM reboots or whatever, which you should be monitoring services, and comes back up DNS runs automatically. Nothing really "to run".

• n1kkon1kko Member

@netomx said:

I tested a reseller with BuyShared but server seemed slow.

• WSSWSS Member

I run my own DNS, and have a secondary or two in the case that my nameservers are magically fucked. You can get free secondary from OVH, HE, Afraid.org, and.. countless other places.

I like managing my own DNS because I've been doing it for 20 years. Some people don't.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@n1kko said:

@netomx said:

I tested a reseller with BuyShared but server seemed slow.

It is not as fast as I want, but it works. So, no complain

• n1kkon1kko Member
    edited March 2017

So if I setup my own cPanel DNS only servers would I be better having 2 DNS servers in the UK or does it make no difference if they are US?

• WSSWSS Member

• n1kkon1kko Member

At two different datacentres

• 99.9% of my customers are US based so the DNS servers are west, central and east US. If you're dealing with UK customers, I would have them in separate data centers in anticipation of a network issue. I would make sure that both aren't on the same networks.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb