Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedi server with 128GB RAM for under ~$180/month - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedi server with 128GB RAM for under ~$180/month

2»

Comments

• @Kevinjoa said:

@taro222 said:

@Kevinjoa said:
    I would suggest you ip-projects, they offer top notch uptime and Network performance in Frankfurt germany:
    https://www.ip-projects.de/produkte/server-restposten/1229

Network has better latency than ovh and Hetzner with many Tier-1 carriers.

1gbit Network upgrade is 49€ one time (default 100mbit)

Specs:

2x Intel Xeon E5-2620v3

128 GB DDR4 ECC Reg RAM

4x 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro Adaptec 6405E (raid card)

IPs: 5ipv4 included + 1 /64 IPv6 Subnet

Traffic: 5tb

Network looking glass: http://lg.ip-projects.de

Price: 169€ with no setup costs including 19% german vat.

Greetings Kevin

49€ for 1gbps and only 5TB traffic? hmmm

Network port upgrade to 1gbit @49€ is one time fee as stated. And usually you can use bit more than 5tb on the higher plans like this. Best is to write the support if you have special requirements. :)

Traffic is not as cheap as OVH and Hetzner as they do also peer with german Telekom aka dtag peering which is up to 5× more expensive than cogent shit peering for example.
    Support is also very responsive ccompared to ovh if you have technical questions.

Greetings Kevin

Hi not sure if that's your own company. Apparently whoever it is makes use of accelerated.
    Why should I choose such ip company instead of someone like hetzner where I can process bigger amounts of data with desktop components and with free 1 gig for less than 28 euros (3770 cpu)?

• the future is here...

highendtalk .com

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @inthecloudblog said:

@Kevinjoa said:

@taro222 said:

@Kevinjoa said:
    I would suggest you ip-projects, they offer top notch uptime and Network performance in Frankfurt germany:
    https://www.ip-projects.de/produkte/server-restposten/1229

Network has better latency than ovh and Hetzner with many Tier-1 carriers.

1gbit Network upgrade is 49€ one time (default 100mbit)

Specs:

2x Intel Xeon E5-2620v3

128 GB DDR4 ECC Reg RAM

4x 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro Adaptec 6405E (raid card)

IPs: 5ipv4 included + 1 /64 IPv6 Subnet

Traffic: 5tb

Network looking glass: http://lg.ip-projects.de

Price: 169€ with no setup costs including 19% german vat.

Greetings Kevin

49€ for 1gbps and only 5TB traffic? hmmm

Network port upgrade to 1gbit @49€ is one time fee as stated. And usually you can use bit more than 5tb on the higher plans like this. Best is to write the support if you have special requirements. :)

Traffic is not as cheap as OVH and Hetzner as they do also peer with german Telekom aka dtag peering which is up to 5× more expensive than cogent shit peering for example.
    Support is also very responsive ccompared to ovh if you have technical questions.

Greetings Kevin

Hi not sure if that's your own company. Apparently whoever it is makes use of accelerated.
    Why should I choose such ip company instead of someone like hetzner where I can process bigger amounts of data with desktop components and with free 1 gig for less than 28 euros (3770 cpu)?

Hetzner does not peer with dtag unless youvpay extra, also they only offer 99% uptime guarantee.
    I am not connected with this company in any way.
    It was just an example if you were looking for a more premium service compared to thr reqlly big ones like Hetzner and OVH.

Greetings Kevin

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • With this spec I'd consider colo option instead.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

We can do the following spec for 160 EUR/month and with free Gold SLA support package from datacenter.

2x Intel Xeon E5-2650V4 / 128GB DDR4 / 4x120GB SSD HW RAID / 10TB+1Gbps/ Amsterdam (EvoSwitch)

This specification is not available on our website. If you have an interest , PM me and I'll provide you order link.

Thanked by 2willie vimalware
  • @msg7086 I dont think it would be much cheaper that way. A colo for $100/month vs a full server for $150-180/month

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

There is a promo running for their previous generations servers if you are ok paying for 6 months - https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers/legacy-s/ promo code CHACHA17

Thanked by 1willie
  • @jimaek said:
    @msg7086 I dont think it would be much cheaper that way. A colo for $100/month vs a full server for $150-180/month

I'm no professional on colo, but from my readings it's not that expensive depending on the location and facility. Mid / east coast datacenters usually give cheaper deals, at least cheaper than $100/mon. For example, dacentec 1U2A colo is $40/mon.

On the long run, it's going to save a lot.

• msg7086 said: I'm no professional on colo,

You're exactly right on this. If you lease/rent, hardware replacements are free. If you colo, you have to ship your replacement parts or buy them from the DC. You didn't consider this.

For example, dacentec 1U2A colo is $40/mon.
    On the long run, it's going to save a lot.

Nobody seriously would consider a budget colocation facility for a quality network. When people are bringing up established providers with decent hardware and you suggest something budget, nobody will take you seriously

• doughmanes said:

Nobody seriously would consider a budget colocation facility for a quality network.

Given that OP doesn't care where the server is located, that suggests the application is more about computation (data analysis etc) than fast networks. I can get into that.

• 3 servers available from Dacentec. All with 16GB RAM. Nothing close to what the OP wanted.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

I think the Dacentec suggestion was to rent a colo slot and park an owned box there.

• @doughmanes said:
    3 servers available from Dacentec. All with 16GB RAM. Nothing close to what the OP wanted.

I was talking about colo, not RTO. May I also remind you the word For example in my post? I never say you should try dacentec I'm saying you should consider colo.

• I've been thinking about colo for my own stuff for years, but it's just darn hard to beat budget dedis unless you need something specialized. The server OP wants is fairly run of the mill these days.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @willie said:
    I've been thinking about colo for my own stuff for years, but it's just darn hard to beat budget dedis unless you need something specialized. The server OP wants is fairly run of the mill these days.

128 GB is still fairly high end (or just rare) spec, as well as nvme. With an owned box colo'd OP can pick whatever needed instead of compromising options. For example, cociu's offer comes with 2xE5-2430 which has a base freq of 2.2GHz. OVH itself is cheap, but then you are locked in the only provider around the budget.

Just my 0.02.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited March 2017

Why would you suggest colo in a rental/lease discussion? You're leading the discussion in the wrong direction when you've admitted you're clueless and it continues to show when you attempt to explain

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Colo in a data center is a PITA but I wonder if an in-house workstation might be suited to the task.