Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-Hosted Note Taking App
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-Hosted Note Taking App

I'm looking for a self-hosted note taking app. Something where I can keep a journal, helpful tips, etc. Kinda like evernote... but self hosted. I'd really also like it to be able to store pdfs/invoices as well.

I found noteplex, and I really think I might like it. However, the last update was in 2013: http://www.clientengage.com/products/noteplex-saas-note-taking-app/

Laverna is self-hosted, but the unhosting philosophy with limited sync options was a pain.

Tagspaces is more a file manager....

So do you have any better suggestions out there?

Comments

• CoreyCorey Member

Create a form with a text area that saves in your DB of choice, get fancy and plug in a javascript WYSIWYG library.

• WSSWSS Member

Install a wiki, blog, or any generic CMS and stick it behind userauth. Done!

• MalinMalin Member

I've been using FengOffice for that sort of tasks, been happy with it so far.

• I think paperwork looks the best. Has anyone used it to manage to manage receipts and such?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

tiddlywiki - 100% client-side javascript, or you can put it on a server.

• I use DokuWiki for documentation, notes, etc.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I asked about something like this a few years ago, ended up sticking with Dokuwiki.

• Dokuwiki here

• Confluence self hosted is only 10 bucks a year

• Check out Meemo

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • Thank you all for the suggestions. I tried a bunch of different apps these past days, and I didn't like any of them. I finally went with the more automated Evernote, and I am trying that out. It seems to do what I was intending to do and a little more.

• Sadly this niche is missing a great product. I have an idea that I think would work great but lack the development experience to flesh it out.

• @jamesrat said:
    Sadly this niche is missing a great product. I have an idea that I think would work great but lack the development experience to flesh it out.

It is so true, it is why I asked for suggestions here. I looked around and couldn't find much. I guess what I was really after was a virtual filing cabinet. Many of the note taking apps had features like it, but there wasn't enough.

• maybe have a try on leanote.org

Thanked by 1arda
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I started writing one a while ago... Maybe time to resurrect it .. I still would need a front end developer tho. I suck at making things pretty lol

• nextcloud's built in notes is nice -- and the qownnotes app works great with it, supports tags, etc..

I like tiddlywiki, too

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

They don't seem to professional about what they do:

Upgrading

Upgrading to the latest GIT version of Paperwork is fairly easy. Update your local repository running git pull, then cd into the frontend/ directory and run php artisan migrate. In most cases this should work. If you're experiencing issues, you might need to clear the database completely and re-run the initial installation.

• I use Emacs org-mode for almost all my note-taking needs (org-mode.org). A wiki is another simple approach: apt-get install gitit installs a Git-backed wiki with a Wikipedia-like appearance, but it accepts Markdown editing etc. MoinMoin is a simpler wiki written in Python that uses plain files.

I'm skeptical of using databases for things where plain text files suffice, because of human-readability, the possibility of corrupted db's, etc. Text files and Git very robust by comparison, and it's easy to backup/replicate Git repos ("git push"). You also have a full blown source control tool behind the wiki, so you can branch/fork your notes on a given topic, atomically commit multiple simultaneous updates, etc.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Go with Dokuwiki, you can use it for your public website as well, and then easily migrate content between public and private with no syntax change (just copy-paste).

• ardaarda Member

leanote looks sleek, also has markdown support, and ios and android app. Nice to know!