Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mxroute.com vs mailcheap.co - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mxroute.com vs mailcheap.co

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am currently using protonmail for anonymous contacts over Tor, is there any plan @jarland to offer something like that?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2017

@Maounique said:
    I am currently using protonmail for anonymous contacts over Tor, is there any plan @jarland to offer something like that?

I would definitely like to offer more privacy focused items at some point, but no short term plans.

Of course, not to say that privacy is not currently important, just to say I'm no competitor to something like lavabit.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I'd be very interested if there was something MXroute or Mailcheap like, but hosted here in the UK.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@hawc said:
    I'd be very interested if there was something MXroute or Mailcheap like, but hosted here in the UK.

OVH FR is only 5-8 ms from UK. Is it a regulations thing?

Pavin.

• I had thought that privacy laws in UK, FR and US were bad, while DE and NL are better. But I haven't followed closely.

@willie said:
    I had thought that privacy laws in UK, FR and US were bad, while DE and NL are better. But I haven't followed closely.

It's a game of Whack-A-Mole right now. Grievances appear and disappear at a moment's notice around the world. Quite frankly, moving hosting around to protest those grievances seems like more work than it's worth. Anyone doing something significantly private in email really should ask themselves whether or not that is the best method of communication for what they're doing. It seems, to me, like an exercise in futility at the moment.

Better to focus one's efforts on impacting political change where they are able to do so. This will be of more value than moving your email every 3 months to match the geopolitical climate.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

I'm impressed and satisfied by this, if they can stick to it:

https://www.fastmail.com/about/privacy.html

I know that they do use some US hosting.

jarland said: lavabit

Lavabit is different they did not encrypt just promised not to give the data, while protonmail does not have the clear data, just the encrypted blobs.
    Email has to remain private, for many reasons. It is true there are other ways to contact people, but email is widely available and can be encrypted strongly enough.
    Actually, when you have special requirements, such as not have the content secret, rather your identity, a thing like protonmail over Tor is what I need.
    In theory, of course, people can read it at the other end and put together bits of information which, if I am not careful, will disclose my identity, however, that is a laborious process and as more and more people start encrypting, less and less reliable. If I need, I ask everyone to make an account at protonmail, but more such services are needed.

Thanked by 2jar k0nsl

Maounique said: while protonmail does not have the clear data, just the encrypted blobs

Yeah, I'd like to do something like this. Ideally it would be a product where I could reasonably say "I don't have the ability to read your email." As it stands, it's more like "I don't have the time to read your email" :P

Thanked by 2Maounique vimalware

@willie said:
    I'm impressed and satisfied by this, if they can stick to it:

https://www.fastmail.com/about/privacy.html

I know that they do use some US hosting.

Its impressive what they say but oftentimes there is a big difference b/w what corporations and our own govts. say and what they actually do. I think its safe to say when you're buying email from Jarland or myself you can actually identify with the person and what they stand for more than a big faceless corporation.

Pavin.

Thanked by 2jar vimalware
  • @Ishaq said:

@drdrake said:
    Do any of them allow marketing emails?

You mean spam?

I get marketing emails everyday.

(not spam at all)

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2017

@Maounique said:

You may want to take a look at https://posteo.de/en
    They offer EXCELLENT anonymous and encrypted services.

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited March 2017

mailcheap said: I think its safe to say when you're buying email from Jarland or myself you can actually identify with the person and what they stand for more than a big faceless corporation.

Nobody is immune when NSA comes knocking. If you CAN read it, they will.

Amitz said: You may want to take a look at https://posteo.de/en They offer EXCELLENT anonymous and encrypted services.

There is one thing that is lacking: a way to pay anonymously because without it, it is relatively easy to find the identity of the payer. Cash payment won't cut it for me as I can't go to Germany to pay 1 Eur, even if they would have a presence in romania, there can always be cameras. Protonmail has that, also they have a free account.

• Maounique said: Cash payment won't cut it for me as I can't go to Germany to pay 1 Eur

Send it in the mail, inside a birthday card or something like that.

• @mailcheap said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    @datanoise @mailcheap the server my basic plan is on (7) is still in Canada, which is fine for me. In the end there isnt that much of a difference in which physical location I host it anyway, but out of principle I just dont want it in the USA.

Even if someone seizes the server in CA, all they're going to get is access to the front-end and a bunch of heavily crypted passwords. Mailcheap does not store any data outside the EU and we're 100% compliant with EU data protection laws.

Pavin.

Hi Pavin,

So on @Mailcheap Basic Email plans the all the frontend (control panel, Sogo, Webmail, etc..) is located on a Canada Datacenter and all backend (data, emails, etc..) is running and stored on another datacenter in France, correct?

If yes, 2 questions: Why the 2 datacenters, I mean, the distance between the 2 datacenters does not affects in a negative way the speed and performance when using webmail and mobile sync? And also, where are the backups located?

Thanks

I vote mxroute. Shit wrong account.

No for real, if I haven't said it in this thread yet, @MailCheap is awesome.

Thanked by 1mailcheap

@nqservices said:

@mailcheap said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    @datanoise @mailcheap the server my basic plan is on (7) is still in Canada, which is fine for me. In the end there isnt that much of a difference in which physical location I host it anyway, but out of principle I just dont want it in the USA.

Even if someone seizes the server in CA, all they're going to get is access to the front-end and a bunch of heavily crypted passwords. Mailcheap does not store any data outside the EU and we're 100% compliant with EU data protection laws.

Pavin.

Hi Pavin,

So on @Mailcheap Basic Email plans the all the frontend (control panel, Sogo, Webmail, etc..) is located on a Canada Datacenter and all backend (data, emails, etc..) is running and stored on another datacenter in France, correct?

If yes, 2 questions: Why the 2 datacenters, I mean, the distance between the 2 datacenters does not affects in a negative way the speed and performance when using webmail and mobile sync? And also, where are the backups located?

Thanks

Not at all; having a front-end in CA markedly improved EAS performance & latency for N.America esp. US/CA West without much impact to European customers. All backups are also situated in France. Going forward, the most important thing was consolidation of data (incl. backups) in a single country (EU) for compliance reasons as well as providing a scalable, easy to manage storage solution for Premium Mail.

Pavin.

@jarland said:
    I vote mxroute. Shit wrong account.

No for real, if I haven't said it in this thread yet, @MailCheap is awesome.

<3

Thanked by 1jar
  • zrunnerzrunner Member
    edited March 2017

So i got email hosting with @jarland and his mxroute.com had it since 12/01/2014 and i got credit/balance on my account for renewing another 6 years, had no problems with it at all.

I saw @mailcheap's mailcheap.co offer thread and reading some about them here on LET everyone seem to like them so i sent a PM asking for a custom package/setup,
    as they're cheap and i don't mind throwing some dollars (cheap annual package) at LET people/providers i like, i signed up right away, so now i got inbound filtering with Pavin before it hits my mxroute mailboxes and even another backup mx (...)

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2017

Maounique said: There is one thing that is lacking: a way to pay anonymously because without it, it is relatively easy to find the identity of the payer. Cash payment won't cut it for me as I can't go to Germany to pay 1 Eur, even if they would have a presence in romania, there can always be cameras. Protonmail has that, also they have a free account.

One has to trust them saying this, but this is what they say:

How can Posteo be anonymous, when I’m paying by bank transfer or PayPal?

Credit is always added to your Posteo account anonymously – regardless of whether you pay by bank transfer, PayPal, credit card or in cash. We do not attach the data we receive with payments to the email accounts. We developed our own system for this in 2009, with which all payment processes are anonymised.
    The payment system is the core of our concept of data reduction, above all, because we keep payment information strictly separate from our customers' email accounts, we do not attach any user information to the accounts – and can thereby ensure the fundamentally anonymous use of our email service. You can find out in detail how the anonymisation of payment processes occurs at Posteo on our payment info page.

However, in case of doubt, I would be glad to pay the account for you (I am in Germany), in case you should consider them once in future. I would even prepay an account for one year for you without you having to give me any money back. It would just be a small "payback" for all the good things you did to me at Prometeus. Just let me know. But if Protonmail does the job for you, then everything is okay too! ;-)

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • Expanding on what I already suggested, I don't feel any significant anxiety about sending small amounts of cash through the mail. It's mostly a matter of whether the person at the other end is willing to accept payment that way.

My usual method is to put the cash inside a greeting card (that is stiffer and more opaque than an ordinary letter) and tape the cash down on the card, so it doesn't make that unmistakable rustling sound as it slides around in the envelope. Or sometimes I've used the cardboard envelopes made for sending CD-ROMs.

My only "incident" I remember was that I once sent $5 to someone in a normal envelope that somehow got chewed up by a postal machine so the bill was falling out of it. The post office put the envelope and partially ripped $5 bill in a plastic bag and sent it back to me.

• @jarland and @mailcheap - Get a room !

And while you're there, sort out an EU presence for MXRoute

• busbrbusbr Member

@mailcheap Only thing that's bothering me right now is the domain limit. I have personal email that needs some sort of higher reliability but also need a place to alias all my domains. MXRoute is perfect for that matter, but this time I'm looking for something in Europe.

edited March 2017

Amitz said: I would be glad to pay the account for you (I am in Germany),

Awww... I dunno what to say, I only did my job. Thank you very much!

There is one thing though that will never work: fully anonymous payment with their gateways. When your security agency will call, they will have to give all payment data, even if it is disjunctive from the actual accounts, so, even if I am not making any trouble, they will rummage through it and your name will come up, even if, supposedly, they cannot link it to the actual account, which is highly unlikely given the account age, first payment and subsequent ones, coinciding with account renewal, etc.

No bitcoin, dogecoin, whatever in this day and age when calling anonymous hosting? It costs next to nothing and it should be the payment gateway of choice, even Uncle considered it, I see no reason whatsoever to not implement it, unless they have something to hide.

Thanked by 1Amitz

@busbr said:
    @mailcheap Only thing that's bothering me right now is the domain limit. I have personal email that needs some sort of higher reliability but also need a place to alias all my domains. MXRoute is perfect for that matter, but this time I'm looking for something in Europe.

Maybe I should mention this on the product page, but you get as many domain aliases as your domain limit. For P10 that would be 5 domains and 5 domain aliases. Would that work for you? :)

Pavin.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2017

@Maounique
    This is their (a bit maverick) explanation for not offering Bitcoins as payment method:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/24vlg5/posteo_refuses_to_use_bitcoin_because_of_high/

But I get your point... :-) Just let me know whenever I can be helpful. I will be there.

@busbr Unlimited domains (& users) is now available as standard with all plans; the panel is fully automated.

Pavin.

• Bitcoin isn't all that anonymous. Zerocoin is much more, but is having some teething pains.

edited March 2017

willie said: Bitcoin isn't all that anonymous.

I know, but with proper care it can be. I am not the regular joe which buys GHB off silk road and imagines is anonymous. A few Eur payments can be very anonymous.

Amitz said: This is their (a bit maverick) explanation for not offering Bitcoins as payment method

Riiight... "think of the children!" became "Denke an die baume!" in German. I launch the new combined one: "think of the children hugging the trees!"

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • frkfrk Member

I would love to see mxroute getting a european location!

Thanked by 1Yura