Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec.com ~ 11 month review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec.com ~ 11 month review

xxtensazenxxxxtensazenxx Member
edited March 2017 in Reviews

I found a sweet Rent-To-Own Deal on Dacentec , Supermicro 2xL5420 16GB 2x1TB. After 12 months of paying for the server I would own it, and you can have it shipped from the DC to you, so that sounded like a good investment. I stuck with them for 11 months, and until the past week it has been wonderful.

Their support was timely, knowledgeable & helpful, my server was NEVER offline to my knowledge, the network was fast. I never had any issues, and barley had to open any support tickets (regarding this server). I was super happy, happier then I've ever been with a provider, and would HIGHLY recommend them to this point.

But as of the past week, I've been having network problems. For some reason now me, and my clients, can only get 1,680kbps MAX from the server, where we use to be able to MAX out our connections with it. This is unusable for me, as I use it for a plex media server myself, and stream large files.

Notes before going on: 1- I have not changed any settings on my server in ages, and it was working fine until about a week ago 2- my clients are spread across the country with different ISP's, and I've tried with VPN's and other dedi's, yielding the same results, so I know its not just my ISP. 3- the only way I'm am only able to get a good connection is when its within the Dacentec network, and that's it (i.e on another VM on the same subnet). 4- I have gotten all my clients, and myself to run a tracert to my server, and we all timeout infinitely once we hit a cretin point.

Now, I could be wrong, but I think its decent evidence its not just my network. So I went ahead with that evidence, contacted support and got the following response "Unfortunately the network issues you are experiencing are not coming from our side and is not within our jurisdiction. It looks like the packets are getting lost before they even get to our network."

That's it. They just kind of blew me off, and did not try to work with me. I thought I provided decent proof its not just my issue, since its happening to all my clients too. They offered to run a test but said it was fin. So now, I'm just stuck.... They seem to not even want to consider its their network giving issues.

Comments

• Run MTR (download from the WinMTR site) to the server from your IP and from the server to the IP. Dacentec's network is no better than WSI or any other budget provider. The constant network maintenance emails I used to receive started to make me realize why the network was average, at most and trying to be the nicest term to use, however the network turned poor when they started that pump-and-dump yearly VPS plan just to get more IPs in use to later abandon the service.

Wait until you join the fun about getting it shipped, if you choose to do so, and how helpful they are.

• @doughmanes said:
    Run MTR (download from the WinMTR site) to the server from your IP and from the server to the IP. Dacentec's network is no better than WSI or any other budget provider. The constant network maintenance emails I used to receive started to make me realize why the network was average, at most and trying to be the nicest term to use, however the network turned poor when they started that pump-and-dump yearly VPS plan just to get more IPs in use to later abandon the service.

Wait until you join the fun about getting it shipped, if you choose to do so, and how helpful they are.

here's that... and yeah im going to make a separate post when I get it shipped to me.

• Install MTR on your server now and run it to your IP

mtr --report --report-cycle=secs IP

secs = 300 (5min) or 600 work
    IP = your IP

• Hop #7 means that hop is dropping packets due to the router/hop being busy. "real packet loss" is from that hop to the final destination.

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@xxtensazenxx said:
    I found a sweet Rent-To-Own Deal on Dacentec , Supermicro 2xL5420 16GB 2x1TB. After 12 months of paying for the server I would own it, and you can have it shipped from the DC to you, so that sounded like a good investment. I stuck with them for 11 months, and until the past week it has been wonderful.

Can you message me your ticket number?

• doughmanes said:

Hop #7 means that hop is dropping packets due to the router/hop being busy. "real packet loss" is from that hop to the final destination.

Level3?

• xxtensazenxxxxtensazenxx Member
    edited March 2017

did around 4:00 Est! Hope to hear from ya soon!

dacentec said: Can you message me your ticket number?

• xxtensazenxxxxtensazenxx Member
    edited March 2017

Im running a windows 2012 server, should I just use the WinMTR?

doughmanes said: mtr --report --report-cycle=secs IP

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2017

@xxtensazenxx said:

Im running a windows 2012 server, should I just use the WinMTR?

doughmanes said: mtr --report --report-cycle=secs IP

Yes WinMTR is fine, you want to send a provider mtr reports to the server and from the server to your IP.

• Update: I set up a FTP server on my Dedi, and tried to download a file from the server (to see if the problem was just thru plex) and alas, my ip got null routed for an "DDoS Attack"? Idek anymore

• Any updates?

• @dartworth
    I messaged dacentec my ticket number around 30~ hours ago, still no response from them on LET or via the ticket system. So now I'm jut waiting I guess.

• I am having a similar experience with Dacentec. I find a lot of great reviews and their support staff is extremely quick to respond but there is some strange issue with my server that I've proven is in their network and they don't want to acknowledge it's something on their end even though I've given them an enormous amount a proof. Basically, for whatever reason the server won't send graphics larger than 20k without problems, sometimes never loading. I was able to test from 4 different ISPs using various operating systems and found that any version of Windows has problems, but smart phones and Linux do not. 3 of the ISPs showed the failure and only one seemed to work fine. (although it was a smartphone hotspot so not sure if it was following the smartphone always working). I even went so far as letting them reload the server with bare ESXi themselves and found the ESXi welcome web page wont load the graphic on the bottom that looks like a water droplet. Their support staff act annoyed with short responses like "we've proven it cant be the server" but state that they only tested from one outside ISP. Another strange thing is if I relay the connection through another ISP thats several states away, it works just fine. I know it's not a problem with their data center because I've found several other ESXi servers in a similar IP block that load the splash screen instantaneously. I was really looking forward to working with Dacentec because the reviews are awesome and the pricing is great. It's hard to believe they are not curious about a problem shown to be in their network.

• Change your MTU.

• I tried changing the MTU on both ends during the first 2 months when I thought it was my problem. Since it's their default installation now and I can reach other servers in their data center just fine, leads me to believe its not an MTU problem. But you're right it definitely acts like MTU. I've worked on MTU extensively while troubleshooting.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited November 2017

If within-datacenter is good, I'd say there's something funky like shaping going on within the pipe. Another uneducated guess is that they can sniff the Windows-based stack and it's taking preemptive measures from one of the later botnet DDoS's.. and possibly above the paygrade of everyone you've dealt with. Time to get down to protocol level- or bugger off elsewhere. :/

• Yea, I've wasted too much money with Dacentec. I had to get a server elsewhere, it was about $15/mo more but it's working flawlessly. So in effect it's cheaper because now I can use it right away. I agree with you that it's above someone's paygrade. After a post I read from another Dacentec user with a similar problem, he asked them to move it to a different rack and switchport. So I requested the same and was answered with "I need to get an admin to approve that" and it was left unanswered. No matter what their paygrade you'd think it wouldn't be a big deal to swap a patch cable and move it to another switch port.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Siguard said:
    No matter what their paygrade you'd think it wouldn't be a big deal to swap a patch cable and move it to another switch port.

If you have <5 racks its not a big deal but when you manage a full datacenter and most things are automated it kinda is a big deal.

• Either way, a problem proven to be in their data center should be addressed.

• I have been using dacentec for a while as well. Service has been great.. support a bit annoying and not the best. They tend to beat around the bush when a straight answer would save us both time. They are paying for it... (not, I got a good deal) so whatever.