Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi flash sale 9-3-2017 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi flash sale 9-3-2017

Comments

• As a pure storage buy, 8 euro for a single 2TB drive is very good, but there's no raid protection and you can get 2TB of raid space for about the same amount if you shop. Obviously having a dedi wrapped around it has its advantages. But, I think Kimsufis have always had 1 drive and 100mbps network, so all you can really hope for is more cpu and ram, as we saw in the KS-3C deal recently.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    As a pure storage buy, 8 euro for a single 2TB drive is very good, but there's no raid protection and you can get 2TB of raid space for about the same amount if you shop. Obviously having a dedi wrapped around it has its advantages. But, I think Kimsufis have always had 1 drive and 100mbps network, so all you can really hope for is more cpu and ram, as we saw in the KS-3C deal recently.

You have to weigh your options. Personally, I'd rather have my important stuff stored on a handful of crappier machines in multiple locations than a single copy on a RAID10 NAT/shared host for the same price. As simple as it is to break things, and get stuck sharing my platters with someone using it to download "Linux ISOs" chewing through blocks day in and day out on the same spindles, ehh...

• True, if your stuff is somehow replicated. The disks in those KS's are also likely to be pretty old/trashed fwiw. I think of getting 2 of them and mirroring them, 16 euro for 2x2tb, which is pretty good, but then realize that scales to 24 euro for 2x3tb, which is about what an i7 server with 2x3tb costs on a good day in the Hetzner auction. So it's all kind of circular... I guess I'd favor using the KS mostly as a backup for data whose primary location is elsewhere.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    True, if your stuff is somehow replicated. The disks in those KS's are also likely to be pretty old/trashed fwiw. I think of getting 2 of them and mirroring them, 16 euro for 2x2tb, which is pretty good, but then realize that scales to 24 euro for 2x3tb, which is about what an i7 server with 2x3tb costs on a good day in the Hetzner auction. So it's all kind of circular... I guess I'd favor using the KS mostly as a backup for data whose primary location is elsewhere.

I'd much prefer Hetzner, too- but at #x for 16GB/2TB, well, I can afford 3 machines for the same price (two of them had under 300 hours when I got the machines). Also, the i7-3770/16GB/2x3 has been endging closer and closer towards 30 euro in the last couple weeks. I looked earlier today, and the best I found was #27.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

300 hour disks is great and maybe lucky. Next question is do you prefer 3 Atoms to a single 3770 that's > 10x faster than an Atom? I like cheap servers but I also like fast ones ;).

Hetzner auctions fluctuate. I used to track them with a bot but haven't done that for a while. Right now a 2x3tb i7-2600 is about 26 euro and a 3770 is about 28. But I've seen both a couple euros lower in the past week or so.

All in all if I saw these Atoms available I might snag one but I don't have much regret about missing it. I do somewhat regret not getting an Online XC 8 core Atom with 1tb when they were available on promo.

Added: the 10 euro KS setup fee is almost 1 extra euro per month if spread across 1 year retention.

• I remember there Is a notice "due to a change of policy, VAT exemptions will no longer apply on Kimsufi orders for our non-European customers." But some say one can still apply for exemption. So is VAT refundable now(for new accounts)?

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    300 hour disks is great and maybe lucky. Next question is do you prefer 3 Atoms to a single 3770 that's > 10x faster than an Atom? I like cheap servers but I also like fast ones ;).

Prefer? Not usually. However, 2*#5 Atoms+OpenBSD = Nameservers and backup MX. I'd rather have those services on bare (slow) metal than emulated most of the time.

I'd prefer to have the E3-127x, but the budget just isn't there. :)

I regret becoming poor(er) and losing my awesome $20 VN machines.

• XeiXei Member

All in all if I saw these Atoms available I might snag one but I don't have much regret about missing it. I do somewhat regret not getting an Online XC 8 core Atom with 1tb when they were available on promo.

How much were they going for? That was the recent sales this year right? By the time I read thread was sold out. :"/

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSS said:

I'd prefer to have the E3-127x, but the budget just isn't there. :)

Well they're on the auction site too, the 1275v1 is 34.45 euro with hardware raid, I'd probably get a 1245v2 instead. Currently 31 euro but I've seen them lower. It's probably what I'd get if I were buying another Hetzner now. There's also a 1271v3 with 32GB and 2x4TB drives at 45.38 euro, not sure I'd pay the 10 euro increment for 1TB more on each drive plus the extra ram. There's a steady supply of i7-2600 with 4x4TB (currently 53 euro) which is more interesting as cheap storage if your requirements call for it. Mine don't yet.

@Xei the XC's were 6 euro if I remember right, with 8gb ram and your choice of 120GB SSD or 1TB HDD. The SSDs sold out fast but the HDD's were plentiful for a fairly long while. Offer description.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Online.net C14 intensive is really nicely priced. (after checking with their online calculator)

If only I could create a separate billing for c14 separate from my dedibox cluster.

Mixing fixed and variable billings makes my credit card nervous.

I'm sticking with my 14.99Eur i5-3570s for another month.
    It has consistent 100mbps outbound 24/7 to everywhere.
    (which I learned recently is not something you take for granted on a kimsufi)

• vimalware said: I'm sticking with my 14.99Eur i5-3570s for another month.

Rickroll it, "never gonna give you up".

• vimalware said: It has consistent 100mbps outbound 24/7 to everywhere.

In RBX4 outbound is pretty good, but inbound is mostly crap (Better than the other way around, for sure!)

• @datanoise said:

vimalware said: It has consistent 100mbps outbound 24/7 to everywhere.

In RBX4 outbound is pretty good, but inbound is mostly crap (Better than the other way around, for sure!)

Ran a few outbound tests using iperf from RBX4, all showed 30mbit/s to the USA. From GRA1 I got 90+mbit/s

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2017

datanoise said: In RBX4 outbound is pretty good, but inbound is mostly crap

It's not a DC-wide problem, some people have servers with perfectly good inbound even in RBX4. However if you got a bad one, you won't get more than 20-30 Mbit even from EU sources (such as http://speedtest.tele2.net/1GB.zip) compared to 90+ easily on the good servers.

• @rm_, can we order using Paypal on Kimsufi.nl? And do they accept non NL such me?

@ErawanArifNugroho they do accept Paypal, and you don't have to order from Kimsufi.nl, sales like this are accessible across all websites (even if semi-officially by putting in the proper server code into ordering link).

• Ran some simple HTTP outbound tests with 250MB of urandom from my GRA1 kimsufi.

11.2MB/sec to virmach LAX

11.2MB/sec to Incero Dallas (vpsdime ovz)

11.2MB/sec to Leaseweb Singapore(very surprised, it wasn't even routed yet via OVH sing.)

7.56MB/sec to Softlayer HKG( hosthatch vps )

11.3 MB/sec to time4vps KVM (lithuania)

11.3 MB/sec to time4vps storage-ovz

The good kimsufi racks are still incredible value. (mine has been operational from June 2015 IIRC; I soft-reboot every 200 days or so on average)

• @rm_ said:
    @ErawanArifNugroho they do accept Paypal, and you don't have to order from Kimsufi.nl, sales like this are accessible across all websites (even if semi-officially by putting in the proper server code into ordering link).

Just to check then, will the promo still use the 'normal' KS-2E order link:
    https://www.kimsufi.com/fr/commande/kimsufi.xml?reference=161sk2&quantity=1

edited March 2017

adamluk said: 161sk2&quantity=1

No, the discounted offer code is 162sk2.

vimalware said: outbound tests

There is no point in testing outbound, it's good on all of them. It's inbound (download) that some servers have a problem with.

Thanked by 2vimalware adamluk
  • @rm_ said:

vimalware said: outbound tests

There is no point in testing outbound, it's good on all of them. It's inbound (download) that some servers have a problem with.

Ah, I thought outbound was something no one brought up. Good to know.

I've moved seedbox duties to my dedibox hoard, including trusty old 2014 kidechire.

• @vimalware said:
    Ran some simple HTTP outbound tests with 250MB of urandom from my GRA1 kimsufi.

11.2MB/sec to virmach LAX

11.2MB/sec to Incero Dallas (vpsdime ovz)

11.2MB/sec to Leaseweb Singapore(very surprised, it wasn't even routed yet via OVH sing.)

7.56MB/sec to Softlayer HKG( hosthatch vps )

11.3 MB/sec to time4vps KVM (lithuania)

11.3 MB/sec to time4vps storage-ovz

The good kimsufi racks are still incredible value. (mine has been operational from June 2015 IIRC; I soft-reboot every 200 days or so on average)

How do you do this tests? Do you have a bunch of VPS on these locations? Or just doing wget on speed test files?

• @yolo_me said:
    Do you have a bunch of VPS on these locations? Or just doing wget on speed test files?

Have a bunch of yearlies in those locations .

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited March 2017

@yolo_me said:
    Do you have a bunch of VPS on these locations? Or just doing wget on speed test files?

I wget-ed a file on my kimsufi, from a bunch of vps.

• WSSWSS Member

Speaking of Kimsufi- there is shit bandwidth between GRA1 and BHS1..

files.tar.gz 100% 397MB 2.2MB/s 03:02

• @WSS said:
    Speaking of Kimsufi- there is shit bandwidth between GRA1 and BHS1..

files.tar.gz 100% 397MB 2.2MB/s 03:02

Direction? source
    I get 11.2 MB/s easy from http://ipv4.bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat to GRA1 ks
    and 32MB/s from http://ipv4.gra.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gb.dat to seflow vps in BHS.

• WSSWSS Member

GRA1->BHS1. Moving from a KS-2A (w/ 2TB drive) to a KS-1 so I can let that go and prep for a KS-2E for a bit less dosh and hopefully a more stable machine.

• teamacc said: Ran a few outbound tests using iperf from RBX4, all showed 30mbit/s to the USA. From GRA1 I got 90+mbit/s

Interesting, did several outbound tests with no problem, slow bandwidth is only for single threaded inbound. (which is not a problem for applications using several threads though, it's still possible to max out the link that way)

Strange that everyone seems to have a different problem. Would be way simpler (and more logic) if a whole rack or dc room had the same issue!

• fanfan Veteran

@datanoise said:

teamacc said: Ran a few outbound tests using iperf from RBX4, all showed 30mbit/s to the USA. From GRA1 I got 90+mbit/s

Interesting, did several outbound tests with no problem, slow bandwidth is only for single threaded inbound. (which is not a problem for applications using several threads though, it's still possible to max out the link that way)

Strange that everyone seems to have a different problem. Would be way simpler (and more logic) if a whole rack or dc room had the same issue!

My problem is with download/inbound only, and I got very similar response from Kimsufi support staff.

I'm suspicious if they are actually looking into the problem, their tech did some iperf tests with my server and from the logs the inbound bandwidth of the server was like 40~50mbps max, and guess what, they told me their admin found no problems and I can use the server normally. Now they are back "investigating" the issue after I sent them iperf results from multiple servers outside of the OVH network.

• There is no logic. At BHS (Canada) I have 2 kimsufi servers on the same rack (T02C02) and one has fast downloads (10MB/s) and the other box is slow (1-2MB/s). And this for the last 8 months or more. I have no hope to fix the issue. I gave up about solving this problem.

• Is this up? becaues it's already March 9 in france time.