Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your experience with Servdiscount?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your experience with Servdiscount?

I am reading mixed reviews about ServDiscount and not sure if I should go with them. What's your experience with them?

Servdiscount review
  1. What's your experience with ServDiscount?42 votes
    1. Good
      33.33%
    2. Bad
      66.67%
  2. Do you recommend them?42 votes
    1. Yes
      23.81%
    2. No
      76.19%

Comments

• Frequent network issues, random server restarts. First time HDD failed after a few days, was replaced but there were a bunch of issues with corrupted data, no idea if it was the HDDs fault or something else was broken.

Now I only ever use them if I need a temporary machine and they have a server for <20€ and a 20€ coupon available (they do right now). I can ignore those issues with a free temporary machine.

If you have a higher budget Hetzner is probably the better choice.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • @Rodney said:
    Frequent network issues, random server restarts. First time HDD failed after a few days, was replaced but there were a bunch of issues with corrupted data, no idea if it was the HDDs fault or something else was broken.

Now I only ever use them if I need a temporary machine and they have a server for <20€ and a 20€ coupon available (they do right now). I can ignore those issues with a free temporary machine.

If you have a higher budget Hetzner is probably the better choice.

What is the coupon? Please share.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • RodneyRodney Member
    edited March 2017

@kokostarc said:

What is the coupon? Please share.

>

Just google "servdiscount coupon". It's not hidden or anything.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • graphicgraphic Member
    edited March 2017

Coupon: SD-20-Welcome-2016

Not sure if it still works.

I've had good experience with my server.

Asked for a another offer and they gave me Core i7 3770, 16GB Ram and 2x2TB HDD for just 24,99€ (~26,45$)

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • Are you talking about SD-20-Welcome-2016 ??

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • graphicgraphic Member
    edited March 2017

I'm not sure if this coupon still works.

And i'm talking also of my experience with them.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • I used them before and they were ok. Support was quick as well for anything server related. Problems started when I wanted to cancel one of my servers. The panel kept giving errors trying to cancel and their support was clueless. I speak German so there was no barrier. Anyway, ended up just not paying them which got my entire account locked.

Sent them a letter to cancel all other servers as well after that as I wasn't really happy about this situation but kept getting invoices for months. Never paid any of them and gave up trying to get it sorted so they probably still think I owe them :)

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • You can choose between prepaid and automatic renew. Just take the prepaid option then you'll got no problems.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • Bad. They can't understand the tax systems. Got invoices from 99EUR whereas I should have gotten 65. The network is unstable, too. And they use network drives instead of physical drives. Everything is slow. To avoid.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • FalzoFalzo Member

I wont argue about network or support or whatever, never been with them, so can't tell. myloc isn't one of my favorite providers after all, seen a lot of abuse coming out of there DCs.

DennisdeWit said: They can't understand the tax systems.

but I am sure at least this they do. bigger businesses (and myloc isn't a small one) definitely obey any tax laws in germany and it is more likely you who don't or won't understand or is unwilling to provide needed proof for location/VAT/whatever.
    65 >> 99 is a difference of more then 50%, there is nothing tax related to explain this...

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • @Falzo said:
    I wont argue about network or support or whatever, never been with them, so can't tell. myloc isn't one of my favorite providers after all, seen a lot of abuse coming out of there DCs.

DennisdeWit said: They can't understand the tax systems.

but I am sure at least this they do. bigger businesses (and myloc isn't a small one) definitely obey any tax laws in germany and it is more likely you who don't or won't understand or is unwilling to provide needed proof for location/VAT/whatever.
    65 >> 99 is a difference of more then 50%, there is nothing tax related to explain this...

They probably obay all rules but I was never able to get bills without VAT as a registered company. No biggy for just a couple of servers at the time but it's not right.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its shit, dont touch it.

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • FalzoFalzo Member

Saragoldfarb said: They probably obay all rules but I was never able to get bills without VAT as a registered company.

I can imagine that it may be difficult to get rid of VAT, no doubt on that.

this is what I wanted to point out. default rule isn't VAT exemption but VAT charging.
    for german tax laws they need to verify that you are eligible for VAT exemption which if you are inside EU needs you to provide a valid VAT ID which can be checked against VIES, and also verification of your address, nothing less. if that fails they have to charge VAT of your country (within EU).

for non-european location of business customers there are no VAT-IDs, so proof of being a registered business and from what location may be even harder to verify, so in case of any doubt they probably fall back and charge VAT because they are liable and may be charged for it by the tax authorities afterwards.

after all any € VAT they charge to any customer they have to forward to the tax authorities so they gain nothing from it for themselves.

also most countries should have a system in place where registered businesses can get their VAT paid in foreign countries back - if you don't pay online but visit another country on a business trip you have to pay local VAT in every shop too ;-)

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • dodedodododedodo Member
    edited March 2017

Support is really bad. I had a connection problem once(upload wouldn't go past a few KB/s). They told me to test against an internal iperf server. I send them the results (which were fine) and they replied that I shouldn't be testing against external servers anyway. They have not replied ever since.

I don't mind problems, or even slow support, but this is just in a whole different league.

Your experience may vary though..

Thanked by 1MrKaruppu
  • Thanks everyone! I decided not to keep them in my list.

• @Falzo said:

Saragoldfarb said: They probably obay all rules but I was never able to get bills without VAT as a registered company.

I can imagine that it may be difficult to get rid of VAT, no doubt on that.

Surprisingly yes. Most companies I deal with are no problem though. Kimsufi got it done in minutes :)

this is what I wanted to point out. default rule isn't VAT exemption but VAT charging.
    for german tax laws they need to verify that you are eligible for VAT exemption which if you are inside EU needs you to provide a valid VAT ID which can be checked against VIES, and also verification of your address, nothing less. if that fails they have to charge VAT of your country (within EU).

for non-european location of business customers there are no VAT-IDs, so proof of being a registered business and from what location may be even harder to verify, so in case of any doubt they probably fall back and charge VAT because they are liable and may be charged for it by the tax authorities afterwards.

after all any € VAT they charge to any customer they have to forward to the tax authorities so they gain nothing from it for themselves.

also most countries should have a system in place where registered businesses can get their VAT paid in foreign countries back - if you don't pay online but visit another country on a business trip you have to pay local VAT in every shop too ;-)

That sums it up nicely. I don't mind paying some Vat in Germany as I'm there quite often. Both for business and pleasure so receipts get mixed up easily:)

• FalzoFalzo Member

Saragoldfarb said: Both for business and pleasure so receipts get mixed up easily:)

hahaha, I know what you did there ;-)

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • That coupon is still valid, anyway...
    SD-20-Welcome-2016

But there are no machines for under 20€, so... :-P

• You have to look once per day, i've seen often the under 20€ machines.
    Or write them a ticket and ask for another configuration.

• crap like webtropia and everything else from myloc. one of their sysops runs also ready4.hosting and even fakes his reviews

Thanked by 1pike
  • I used them and everything is ok. However, the problem has started from cancellation. I submitted ticket to ask them to cancel the server, and they said the server will be cancelled immediately. But, I found that the server is still active now and they call me to pay for the invoices. I dont want to use them anymore.

• pikepike Veteran

I once had a VPS with webtropia (which is basically the same provider). It got restarted or shut down at least once a day in the two months I used it. I mailed the support and they offered me another two months, but for free. There were less restarts but twice a week was unacceptable for me so I left and never returned.

Also they once had a very big power failure where all of the servers and vps nodes went offline for hours, HDDs failed, data lost etc. Their redundant power supply didnt work and generators were broken.