Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I use Cloudflare's SSL or buy one like Comodo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I use Cloudflare's SSL or buy one like Comodo?

I want to have my site using HTTPS, but Cloudflare offers additional things like the Origin Certificate and Universal SSL. Am I doing this right by just self-signing my server's cert and running Cloudflare's Flexible option?

I don't know if the free Flexible SSL from Cloudflare is the best option.

Comments

• Try let's encrypt free ssl

Thanked by 1arda
  • @jetchirag

Is let's encrypt free ssl is as secure as paid one?

• If youre using CF free, there are only 2 options for you. CF universial SSL or $5/mo SSL. If you don't care about how your ssl cert looks, just stick with the universial ssl. You can get a cloudflare-signed SSL and set it up on your website and change your ssl setting to 'strict' though

• @PhilTechie said:
    @jetchirag

Is let's encrypt free ssl is as secure as paid one?

Paid SSL as a whole is a scam. From a cryptographic perspective, any paid cert = one made on your PC. The difference is some define secure by who made the cert and if it is trusted entity. Those who are trusted (CA, certificate authority) are in a browser whitelist thus don't give a self-signed warning.

So cloudflare, letsencrypt, and any 500 or $1 million dollar cert are the same security wise. EV ssl gives you a green bar and I think needs more paperwork, but in general no reason to charge for something that takes no human labor.

• PhilTechie said: Is let's encrypt free ssl is as secure as paid one?

Indeed. You create your cert, let's encrypt just sign it. For free. Better than cloudflare (not end to end) or paid crap (same stuff, but more expensive).

Thanked by 1arda