Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KeyCDN's auto-pay makes you lose your credits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KeyCDN's auto-pay makes you lose your credits

jadenjaden Member
edited March 2017 in General

After KeyCDN increased their minimum yearly price from $29 to $49, I started looking at other options. Then I discovered that existing customers could still pay just $29/year, so I stayed.

In the past three years, I made manual payments when I got the expiring credits email. This year I decided to test their auto-pay option. The results were not-a-so good.

The scheduled payment went through, but it came in a day after the existing credits had expired. I filed a support ticket, assuming it was a mistake. They replied that they would not restore the lost credits. I compared it to a bank scheduling an automatic credit card payment a day late so they could charge you a late fee. They said they understood, but would not restore any credits.

I get that I'm not a big customer and they probably don't care if they lose my business. That's kind of the problem. But the way they handled the situation left a bad taste. They are clearly not catering to low end users.

I had already created an account with BunnyCDN after seeing @bunnyspeed's responsiveness on LET when I thought KeyCDN was going to charge me $49/year. I've switched to BunnyCDN for one site and plan to switch the rest as soon as my credits expire or they run out.

The setup process on BunnyCDN was faster and simpler than KeyCDN too. Even enabling SSL with Let's Encrypt worked on the first try. The process on KeyCDN had several minutes of delays and I kept getting CNAME lookup errors even though it was resolving correctly everywhere else.

tl;dr; If you use KeyCDN, make a manual payment instead of relying on autopay to keep your existing credits. Or switch to BunnyCDN :)

Comments

• WHTWHT Member
    edited March 2017

Its not up to auto-payment, you will lose the credit even if you pay manually. I have moved away from then last year to.

Edit: BunnyCDN have little location, cloudflare its better then that.

• @WHT said:
    Its not up to auto-payment, you will lose the credit even if you pay manually. I have moved away from then last year to.

True, however CloudFlare have a 512MB filesize limit so aren't perfect :-)

• jadenjaden Member
    edited March 2017

That's not been my experience in the past, nor is it what KeyCDN's docs state under "Do Credits Expire":

"Credits do expire after 1 year. However, if a payment is made before the 1 year period is up, then your remaining credit balance will carry forward for another year."

• HyperSpeedHyperSpeed Member
    edited March 2017

Currently with KeyCDN however I contemplated CDN.net and didn't personally like the whole "give us $29 and even if you don't use it all then you'll lose it after a year" policy. My sites aren't the largest and only use a couple of cents a day worth of bandwidth so I've still got a fair amount left. It expires in July/August I believe so I'm more than happy to look alternatively at @bunnyspeed.

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed
  • BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2017

@WHT said:

Just added Seattle for a total of 13 :) https://bunnycdn.com/network

@jaden Happy to have you! If you need any help setting anything up, let me know. I'm also giving out free credits lately, because I'm feeling happy.

Thanked by 3jaden pbgben vimalware
  • Bunnycdn looks nice! Is the cloud storage 0.02/GB/mo for pure storage, plus the same outgoing bandwidth charges that are on the pricing page?

edited March 2017

@willie said:
    Bunnycdn looks nice! Is the cloud storage 0.02/GB/mo for pure storage, plus the same outgoing bandwidth charges that are on the pricing page?

It is. The bandwidth between storage and edge servers is free though. I'm looking for a way to better integrate this into the pricing page, sorry about that.

Thanked by 2WSS pbgben
  • YuraYura Member

@BunnySpeed said:

@jaden Happy to have you! If you need any help setting anything up, let me know. I'm also giving out free credits lately, because I'm feeling happy.

Tempting :)

• WHTWHT Member

@WHT said:
    @BunnySpeed said:

@WHT said:

Good to hear, I thought you have just 5 pops. Btw. still not good for me, no brasil and russia pops.

• didtavdidtav Member
    edited March 2017

keycdn or any cdn will kick assets from their edge server if accessed rarely no matter what expiration time you set. no good for small website with low traffic as it will only slowdown your website.

I use vultr vps to build my own private cdn server, only three location though...

if bunnyCDn will keep my files on their edge server even if accessed rarely, i will be more than happy to go to them

edited March 2017

@didtav said:
    if bunnyCDn will keep my files on their edge server even if accessed rarely, i will be more than happy to go to them

I've put a lot of effort exactly into this. You should be getting high cache hit rates even if your files aren't accessed a lot.

@Yura @willie @WHT

Here's a code, it gives $10 for 3 months, go play around a bit. Before it expires, you can also extend it by making a recharge.

EASTERISCOMING

I'd love to hear any feedback! :)

• Bunny...Easter...I get it!

• didtavdidtav Member
    edited March 2017

@BunnySpeed said:

@didtav said:

I've put a lot of effort exactly into this. You should be getting high cache hit rates even if your files aren't accessed a lot.

@Yura @willie @WHT

Here's a code, it gives $10 for 3 months, go play around a bit. Before it expires, you can also extend it by making a recharge.

EASTERISCOMING

I'd love to hear any feedback! :)

thanks for the coupon, will give it a try

hopefully my rarely accessed assets of my low trafic website will live longer on the edge server..

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

+1 for Bunnycdn, The other offers are too large to offer a personal touch that always makes a service better. Put simply, Dejan cares about his work. KeyCDN could not care less about you as a customer.

Thanked by 2BunnySpeed jaden
  • emdademdad Member

another BunnyCDN fan here, using from last November, keep up the good work @BunnySpeed

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • +1 for BunnyCDN. I love the simplicity and support that is provided for the price

Sure the API docs could use some work, but my question about it was answered within a few quick messages on live chat so that's not really a big deal to me

Thanked by 1BunnySpeed