Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I go for Ramnode or Scaleway for a single website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I go for Ramnode or Scaleway for a single website

Hi,
I have to host a static website with a blog on ghost cms (on node.js).
I am considering two choice i.e. ramnode 256 mb vps or scaleway c1

Website will receiving normal traffic like 100 users/day until blog gets really famous.

Which will be a good choice?

Comments

• lionlion Member

Ramnode

Thanked by 2joeri Nick_A
  • isnt that obvious..

Ramnode if you want quick upgrades, but if you want no neighbours/bare metal scaleway seems the obvious choice.

• RamNode easily. But check out Vultr $2,50/month plan or Nodion €12/year.

I have a few hundred daily on my Nodion VPS, pretty solid and DDoS protection.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

I'd use shared hosting for that. Let someone else deal with the reboots and sw upgrades. If you want to use a vps, a yearly 128MB should be plenty.

• RamNode

Thanked by 1joeri
  • XeiXei Member
    edited March 2017

Either will work well until the site gets really big.

• Can someone please explain to me why "Ramnode" and not "Scaleway" ?

• @willie said:
    I'd use shared hosting for that. Let someone else deal with the reboots and sw upgrades. If you want to use a vps, a yearly 128MB should be plenty.

Node js on shared cpanel hosting?

• @dotted said:
    Can someone please explain to me why "Ramnode" and not "Scaleway" ?

Scaleway uses no raid unless that changed.

• @Saragoldfarb said:

@dotted said:
    Can someone please explain to me why "Ramnode" and not "Scaleway" ?

Scaleway uses no raid unless that changed.

AFAIK they never actually said what they were using.

• @Junkless said:

@willie said:

I did host Ghost on a shared hosting a few months ago.

• Can you explain why you narrowed it down to 2 hosts that have very little in common?

Thanked by 2Falzo vimalware
  • Anything because for 100 Visitors /daily ramnode or scaleway will not make much difference but

If you can go with Aruba 1 Euro month plan

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited March 2017

@JoeMerit said:
    Can you explain why you narrowed it down to 2 hosts that have very little in common?

I had two choices that is less resources but solid uptime and hosting or more resources but slow processing.

• @yashmaudhoo said:

@Junkless said:

@willie said:

Which provider?

• @Junkless said:

@yashmaudhoo said:

@Junkless said:

@willie said:

Which provider?

Buyshared allows it ;)

Thanked by 2datanoise vimalware
  • For a blog with 100 users per day, I would go with 2 extremely cheap vps, first as live server and second as a live mirror, in case of an outage.
    Even a NAT 256MB vps from Inception hosting normally could do fine in handling such a low traffic website.
    That being said, if you have to chose between scaleway and ramnode, I would go with scaleway. You will get a dedicated server for the same price and a good traffic all around EU. You don't need Ramnode's CPU cores for such a small website. You really do not need RAID for such a project (RAID is not backups!) but you will need whatever you chose a backup plan. Backups have nothing to do with how good the original server is, or if it uses raid or not. Disasters always can happen.

• arubacloud 1gb until you get 'really famous'

Don't throw away money.

• @vimalware said:
    arubacloud 1gb until you get 'really famous'

Don't throw away money.

Aruba cloud looks really good in that pricing but I'm wondering why there's a big gap between small and medium plan

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited March 2017

@jetchirag said:

Aruba cloud looks really good in that pricing but I'm wondering why there's a big gap between small and medium plan

subsidised loss-leader plan.

grab it before their numbers just stop adding up. I suspect vmware memory deduplication helps too.

• from my experience, npm install for ghost blog consume 450-490mb ram. So need minimal 512mb ram.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @abangnoob said:
    from my experience, npm install for ghost blog consume 450-490mb ram. So need minimal 512mb ram.

That what I was worried of. Aruba first plan will be able to handle that? I hope that.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@WSS said:
    Throw RAM at it ...

• I would recommend atleast go for 512 RAM. I also recommend for firewall to avoid abuse situations .