Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

X3360 and Q9400 which is better? :D
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

X3360 and Q9400 which is better? :D

gianggiang Veteran
edited August 2011 in General

If you could choose between 2 CPUs above, what would you choose? :D

Comments

• I'd go with Xeon if the price didn't matter.
    Yorkfield C2Qs are great, though. I've got a Q8300 box colo'd at Joe's for testing and it's pretty nifty.

• Hmmm

http://ark.intel.com/compare/35365,33933

The choice in speed is obvious. But that little 200 Mhz and the extra cache will not perform a lot better in real environments. Also, if your Xeon platform uses slow ECC memory, that sucks.

In other case, if this is for a desktop setup with unbuffered memory, you will have more performance with the Xeon. And, if you want to save some money, overclocking the C2Q will be funny n_n

• X3360 is an absolute winner here. I would however try to get an E3 processor.

• gianggiang Veteran

I'm not going to buy these CPU. I ask because I'm on cloud VPS, and I could choose between node which is based on these CPU.

I've made geekbench on these CPU with same RAM and HDD. The result is Q9400 1 core got about 3000 points and X3360 1 core got about 2400 points.

• Have to admit that I look at bus speeds more often than processor speeds. For us, that's where things bottleneck.

But that's just me.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited August 2011

Hi Giang :)

The X3360 is the same chip as the Q9550... Intel just rebranded the name.

The X3360 aka Q9550 is faster than the Q9400 but not by THAT much more (maybe 10-15%)

However, in your case, maybe the X3360 cloud host is more overloaded than the Q9400 and that is why it is slower.

• Nah
    Is the memory speed

Verify in your scores, I guess the Xeon got a lower score because the memory subscores.

If you can share the scores...

Also, maybe being in a shared environment is affecting the scores considerably.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited August 2011

Sorry, double post

• gianggiang Veteran

kiloserve said: However, in your case, maybe the X3360 cloud host is more overloaded than the Q9400 and that is why it is slower.

The Q9400 node got 7 VMs and X3360 got only 2 VMs, I don't think they are overloaded :P

yomero said: Verify in your scores, I guess the Xeon got a lower score because the memory subscores.

If you can share the scores...

Also, maybe being in a shared environment is affecting the scores considerably.

I will try to bench again. Got some issues with HDD, io test is about 2.8 - 3 MB/s and their storage is RAID5 :(

• Pretty much the same but with the server grade label.