Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seafile alternative (self-hosted cloud with sync)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seafile alternative (self-hosted cloud with sync)

MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
edited February 2017 in General

Hello

I'm looking for some sort of self-hosted cloud with synchronization between server and client.

So far I have been using Seafile, but when I look how it stores files it makes me sad. I have ~15k files of total weight ~160GB. On server side it's around ~5million files of total weight ~210GB. I haven't tickted the encyption, so I guess it's because of the ability to revert changes. As long as it works, it's awesome software, but from the last two days I'm struggling with server migration (moving files for over 40hours). I guess I'll survive that migration, but what's later? How will I move it when it gets bigger?

Before Seafile I used OwnCloud, but due to no synchronization I moved to syncthing, but later due to no frontend I moved to Seafile.

Just look yourself... 400k files equals 285MB...

... and trust me. FTP is the best way. The crappy server I'm moving from is hardly taring 1MB of files per minute. It would take me nearly two years to migrate using scp.

Comments

• jhjh Member

Resilio Sync

• you probably should have done some garbage collection before moving to get rid of a lot of those old outdated versions... that much small files are a pain for sure.

how old is that installation or how old are your libraries?

have a read over there: https://manual.seafile.com/maintain/seafile_gc.html

also I would have suggested to use rsync to transfer files which might be quicker than ftp and enables to keep permissions, hard links and such things.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@MrPsycho said:

So far I have been using Seafile, but when I look how it stores files it makes me sad. I have ~15k files of total weight ~160GB. On server side it's around ~5million files of total weight ~210GB. I haven't tickted the encyption, so I guess it's because of the ability to revert changes. As long as it works, it's awesome software, but from the last two days I'm struggling with server migration (moving files for over 40hours). I guess I'll survive that migration, but what's later? How will I move it when it gets bigger?

Garbage collection has to be run manually on community edition. Smaller blocks of data = better data integrity.

... and trust me. FTP is the best way. The crappy server I'm moving from is hardly taring 1MB of files per minute. It would take me nearly two years to migrate using scp.

Rsync is better.

Pavin.

• Syncthing - works wonders for me. I'm not quite sure why you need a client. The web gui configures most of what you need and the only time I use CLI is when I need to add an ignore.

• Seafile seems to be the best of the bunch so far, Also the drive client is pretty awesome if you are running windows

• The two things I want in my own file sharing are 2 factor auth and redundancy. Seafile requires the paid version for that.

• Thank you all for suggestions!

Ultimately I copied the whole partition to my new server. This way I was able to have constant speed of 5MB/s... It's shitty speed for moving 500G, but it was truly the fastest way to move my files from my previous shitty server.

@Falzo Thank you! I haven't known about seaf-gc. However on my old server it wouldn't help me in any way as it probably would take few hours if not more. BUt due to your suggestion I ran it on my new server and got rid of few files.

@jeromeza Often I need to share something, that's why I need some kind of cloud web-UI.

@dragon2611 That's why I enjoy Seafile.

@jh @raynor I'll have a look at both Resilo Sync and ownCloud, as I'm pretty sure I'll move from Seafile sooner or later.

@moonmartin Pro version is free up to 3 users ;)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @moonmartin said:
    The two things I want in my own file sharing are 2 factor auth and redundancy. Seafile requires the paid version for that.

Paid version is free for upto 3 users and fairly cheap for upto 10, after that it does get rather pricy tho.