Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MXRoute 1 Year Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MXRoute 1 Year Review

xaitmixaitmi Member
edited March 2017 in Reviews

Greeting folks,

I've been a MXRoute customer for just about a year now. Yes I know this is 10 days early, but I couldn't wait to post this, lol.

I use it for managing multiple email addresses my various online businesses/websites, and sending ~200-300 emails a day via SMTP and all that jazz.

I snagged a $15/year BlackFriday special which is more than enough for my needs, and let me tell you, it is well worth it.

Proof:

Prior to this I was using Google Apps (Free) for receiving mail and MailJet for sending mail out, but after GoogleApps made it so you can't add more domains to it, I started looking for alternatives.

I decided to give MXRoute a shot since it was cheap and everyone always says good things about it.

During the last 12 months I only had 2 issues with MXRoute.

1. MailChannels (MXroute uses MailChannels to deliver mail) stopped sending mails for one of my domains, this was out of Jarlands control but he contacted them very quickly and sorted it out. Have not had that issue since.

2. The entire Ghost Server (The server I'm on) went offline for a couple of hours in September.

Both issues were solved very promptly and professionally.

And considering I'm paying $15/year it is well worth the money, the value you get from MXRoute is way more than your paying for so it's a damn good investment.

Only thing I miss about MailJet is that they have a "Real-Time Mail Feed" in their panel which lets you see all the emails that are being sent out, in real-time. This is a very powerful and useful tool for many reasons.

I hope MXRoute will implement something like that some day, or at least give customers a way to see mail that was sent out, as the only way to get that information right now is to open a ticket and Jarland has to manually check.

Overall, I would rate this service a 10/10.

Great value, great product, great support.

I'd call MXRoute the "RamNode" of mail sending. :P as I only use RamNode for all my production websites.

Good job @Jarland

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

<3 Thank you!

I hope the service only continues to improve for you. I'll do my part to see that it does.

Thanked by 1willie
  • IshaqIshaq Member

Yeah, solid stuff. 10/10.

I did not have financial relations with that mail company.

Thanked by 1jackb
  • WSSWSS Member

@Ishaq said:

Well that depends on what you define "relations" as..

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Ishaq said:

Yeah, the transactions that happen within the LET broom closet aren't financial in nature at all.

Thanked by 2jar Lunar

@K4Y5 said:

@Ishaq said:

Yeah, the transactions that happen within the LET broom closet aren't financial in nature at all.

I have a signed consent form. Are you trying to stir up trouble? My lawyer says I'm in the clear.

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog K4Y5
  • BochiBochi Member

I can second that! ;)
    I am with MXroute since almost two years, started on MX1 and voluntarily switched to Ghost back in the days.
    Really nothing to complain about, especially not when you consider the price!

Regarding the "Mail-Feed":
    There is this "Track Delivery" tab in the backend, that would let you do this exact thing.
    However, it seems that it stopped working some time ago - @jarland: Was/Is this by intention?

• BF 2016 promo still in stock. Guess I will try it after for testing.
    @jarland how much a dedicated IP cost?
    how many emails can I send per day?

• Been eyeing up the mxroute plans to shift my email to for a while now, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Got just under 12,000 emails I'd want to move over as well.

• Great support, I couldn't agree more. I opened a support ticket and Josh answered it at 4AM!
    Btw, how do I setup CNAME with my own domain or using CloudFlare as stated here:
    https://billing.mxroute.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=3

Thanked by 1jar

@lontong said:
    Great support, I couldn't agree more. I opened a support ticket and Josh answered it at 4AM!
    Btw, how do I setup CNAME with my own domain or using CloudFlare as stated here:
    https://billing.mxroute.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=3

The way I did it as an example:

webmail.jarland.me CNAME ghost.mxroute.com

Then I set CloudFlare's SSL to "Full SSL" setting.

I don't recommend it, but it works.

Thanked by 1lontong
  • WSSWSS Member

RFC2181 10.3: Can't point MX at a CNAME.

@WSS said:

"Can't" ;)

But webmail is just for reading not receiving.

• sinsin Member

jarland said: For example, if you send 5000 emails to Gmail per hour for 2 days, it really doesn't matter how legitimate it is, you better have a name as big as Microsoft or expect to be treated poorly by them as a result.

Well how else am I supposed to let the world know about my amazing SEO skills and penis enhancement techniques!

Thanked by 2jar 17brownj
  • WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

@WSS said:

"Can't" ;)

Yes, they'd break your kneecaps. That's why they're called the RFKC crew. See, this is why you worked at HostGator. (I keed, I keed). But, oh.. just assumed someone was going to try to CNAME an MX. I've seen dumber. Much, much dumber.

Thanked by 1jar

@WSS said:

@jarland said:

@WSS said:

"Can't" ;)

Yes, they'd break your kneecaps. That's why they're called the RFKC crew. See, this is why you worked at HostGator. (I keed, I keed). But, oh.. just assumed someone was going to try to CNAME an MX. I've seen dumber. Much, much dumber.

It was default in cpanel zones for years.

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:
    It was default in cpanel zones for years.

Further proof that this is wrong.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I love MXROUTE, new website too looks awesome!! makes life so easy

Thanked by 1jar
  • Great product

+1 for MXroute and new interface looks Great

Thanked by 1jar

<3

Been changing direction a lot lately, trying to figure out where to take it next. I spent a lot of time and money on a new product line that will eventually come out, but I've decided to spend a bit more time first working on building up what already exists.

Boring stuff, but it all amounts to gains:

• Warm up in-house relay servers for fallback scenarios
    • Diversify outgoing paths to reduce impact of any one provider's outage (MailChannels, MailCheap, in-house)
    • Put strong backup relays in place 24/7 instead of failover (had trouble with incoming spam since primary server handled filtering, and had to blanket trust relays)

The next product line will most likely be iRedMail based for SOGo, a control panel I couldn't build but has proven itself with time, getting around the incredible biases against cPanel, etc. To this day people still sign up and just think I installed cPanel and called myself an email provider. It's going to be a while though, so much still to be done on what exists currently.

• PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
    edited March 2017

I don't understand the hate for cPanel in this usage case, especially from experienced users who tend to snark at anything popular. The only time I ever interact with cPanel is when I add a new domain/email account. That happens rarely, so it helps that cPanel is familiar. I don't have to go looking for the relevant navigation path.

My day to day dealing with MXRoute happens through my email client. It hasn't given me any problems the entire time I've been a customer, so I don't really ever think about MXRoute or how my emails are going through because I'm accustomed to it just working.

For new users it's also rather stupid. "Why cPanel?" is literally the first feature box on the website. When you click the link there it takes you to a page explaining why in detail. Why would you sign up before you read at least the front page?

Thanked by 1jar
  • I understand about using cpanel as part of a bootstrap operation but I hope you get rid of it when it becomes practical to do so.

Thanked by 1jar

@willie said:
    I understand about using cpanel as part of a bootstrap operation but I hope you get rid of it when it becomes practical to do so.

Eventual plan is to have everything entirely unique, with exception of using open source MTA/LDA and stuff like that. For now it just makes the most sense to have user facing panels created and patched by proactive developers. One day I'll hire my own.

Perhaps the "one day" comes sooner if I ever seek outside investment. I don't see myself doing that though.

• Meh, I'd still look around for alternatives to cpanel.

Other things to consider are more serious backup/replication if you don't already have that (I mean real time replication of user mailboxes to multiple servers), encrypted storage, better webmail clients (sogo is good), and maybe enterprisey archiving features if you want to pursue that market.

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited March 2017

willie said: encrypted storage

Encrypted storage is important only if the server is seized / stolen. The second is unlikely, and in case the server is seized @jarland would have to hang out the keys anyway.

What would concern me with such a service (as the amount of private data on it is huge) is security: I know you have eyes on your physical hardware, but what about preventing remote attacks?

mxroute might not be a big target as it's not a huge provider though, I assume that gmail and other very big players are way more targeted, but here too they have more money & manpower to secure their ship.

Email is pretty sensitive as many services / providers don't offer 2fa and getting access to your mail account might mean getting access to several online services related to your beloved email address... Things in case of a compromise get even worse if you host several domains / mailboxes on the same server, with the same provider!

(this is in no way criticism, more like usual skepticism!)

• @jarland said:
    <3 Thank you!

I hope the service only continues to improve for you. I'll do my part to see that it does.
    @PepeSilvia said:
    I don't understand the hate for cPanel in this usage case, especially from experienced users who tend to snark at anything popular. The only time I ever interact with cPanel is when I add a new domain/email account. That happens rarely, so it helps that cPanel is familiar. I don't have to go looking for the relevant navigation path.

My day to day dealing with MXRoute happens through my email client. It hasn't given me any problems the entire time I've been a customer, so I don't really ever think about MXRoute or how my emails are going through because I'm accustomed to it just working.

For new users it's also rather stupid. "Why cPanel?" is literally the first feature box on the website. When you click the link there it takes you to a page explaining why in detail. Why would you sign up before you read at least the front page?

Will a seriously novice user be able to use cPanel successfully? I like everything I read about MX Route but am a little afraid of using cPanel to set up my domain email.

• I've been with mxroute since 2015 back then when i am frustated setting up my email server and end up message sent to spam. So far so good but sometimes some msg doesnt arrived and i just contact @jarland and he fix it :D keep it up m8

Thanked by 1jar
  • While I am not a customer of MXRoute's, I know our Land-o-Jars genuinely cares about his customers and strives to offer services the quality of which is superb.

Saluti, @Jarland

Thanked by 2adamluk jar

TRUTHSEEKER said: Will a seriously novice user be able to use cPanel successfully? I like everything I read about MX Route but am a little afraid of using cPanel to set up my domain email.

I find most newbies start with cPanel in the hosting world so it should be familiar, but there are oddities. Either way we're there to help along the way :)

• williewillie Member

I've mentioned some deficiencies of cpanel for mail hosting in past posts that I won't rehash. I can understand how it helped mxroute get started by moving a lot of development out of the way. It's just not ideal in the long run.

@willie said:
    I've mentioned some deficiencies of cpanel for mail hosting in past posts that I won't rehash. I can understand how it helped mxroute get started by moving a lot of development out of the way. It's just not ideal in the long run.

It has an API though so really the only limitations are still self imposed, budget/time constraints, etc. There's no valid complaint about it that can't be overcome with time and effort, but those two things are admittedly of high value.